GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turns out I bought a tuned CPO car

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm going out on a limb here but I'd think that this is fraud by misrepresentation - at this value it would be felony fraud.

Does the GM really want to go to jail over this?

33 U.S. Code § 931 - Penalty for misrepresentation | U.S. Code | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)
Do you think he has a good chance of getting the prosecutor to take the case? It's certainly worth a trip to the prosecutor to find out. I also would find out if any of the local TV stations has a program where they go to bat for you. As I mentioned before in Phoenix we have such a station and they love cases like this.

cb1111

Do you think he has a good chance of getting the prosecutor to take the case? It's certainly worth a trip to the prosecutor to find out. I also would find out if any of the local TV stations has a program where they go to bat for you. As I mentioned before in Phoenix we have such a station and they love cases like this.
Who knows, but I think your point about a TV station is good - as is the AGs office.

Me? I'd call a lemon lawyer that specializes in VW. Yes, this isn't a lemon case but those lawyers do anything car related

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Haven't read the whole thing but if you haven't already, save money on a lawyer and reach out to the appropriate state Consumer Protection Agency first.

cb1111

Now I feel bad for trading in tuned cars to the dealership without telling them. :D
It is the dealer's responsibility to check. You buy your car from a private party and it is your responsibility - if buying from a dealership then it is their responsibility to correctly advertise the car.

Things can always go wrong when buying a used car, but the advantage of buying from a dealer is that you can expect it to be as advertised.

A couple of years ago, I somehow added my car to the CARFAX maintenance system thingie that they have - reminds you of maintenance and records services.

When I sold my Acura TSX wagon earlier this year to Carvana it was in near perfect condition. It had no leaks, strange noises or smells. Everything worked as intended. This was the first car that I'd consider selling to a friend.

Since then, I've gotten several CARFAX messages regarding maintenance - new plugs (not a big deal), new brakes (I had zero issues and they still had plenty of pad), transmission flush (routine) followed by a transmission replacement (not normal)

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I've never had an extensive vehicle check done on any car I've traded in. Usually it's just a visual walk around the outside, look inside, feel the tire tread by hand, and then do the paperwork and leave. Obviously everywhere is different though.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
If you can't get them to put what you want in writing, I'd either ask for a partial refund and enjoy my tuned car with no expectation of a warranty or have them take the car back.

danieI

Car(s)
Mk7.5
holy shit this is also currently going on with me as well...

Bought a 2018 car that I was assured still had the factory warranty on it. Few months later, literally days ago, I email APR and find out it has a + tune. This is all well and good as I'll just have it switched over most likely to my name and updated to keep that warranty. At the same time though I'm frustrated as I specifically looked for a car with the factory warranty still intact that I could then mod myself when the time came. I just came from a absolute horrible daily and wanted some reliability security. Going to see if I can get them to atleast pay for the transfer fee worst case scenario. Otherwise I feel they'll probably just offer to buy it back or tell me to pound sand.

I'm currently still gathering info before I get in touch with the selling dealer. I've got proof and support from APR and found out it was tuned by in 2018 by a VW dealer that offers APR services. The VW dealer that sold it to me up here is fairly small and I'm sure they had missed it in their "300 point" inspection bullshit.

Best of luck with your legal outcomes.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Bought a 2018 car that I was assured still had the factory warranty on it. Few months later, literally days ago, I email APR and find out it has a + tune. This is all well and good as I'll just have it switched over most likely to my name and updated to keep that warranty. At the same time though I'm frustrated as I specifically looked for a car with the factory warranty still intact that I could then mod myself when the time came. I just came from a absolute horrible daily and wanted some reliability security. Going to see if I can get them to atleast pay for the transfer fee worst case scenario. Otherwise I feel they'll probably just offer to buy it back or tell me to pound sand.

I'm currently still gathering info before I get in touch with the selling dealer. I've got proof and support from APR and found out it was tuned by in 2018 by a VW dealer that offers APR services. The VW dealer that sold it to me up here is fairly small and I'm sure they had missed it in their "300 point" inspection bullshit.

Welcome to the forum. Please let us know your outcome also.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I once got a dealership to pay my first and second months car payment for me because it "wasn't ready for pickup" but the loan already kicked in.

Anything is possible.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG

Damn dude, welcome to the community I guess! Wishing you luck with this.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Now I feel bad for trading in tuned cars to the dealership without telling them. :D

I turned in a 3 year old STI with forged pistons and tune. They were mad when they put the stock exhaust bad on and it could hear the pistons on cold starts.