GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turns out I bought a tuned CPO car

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The CPO range is up to 7 years and 75k miles. It has pretty much full service history and no issues. Boom CPO qualified.

The problem I have is that the dealer i bought it from is the same dealer who performed the tune in 2018, so they should’ve had a record of that when they pulled the car’s records. So it would seem they carelessly missed it, or willfully omitted it.

Sales manager is talking to the dealership owner tomorrow and will let me know what’s decided as a “make-good.”
Best of luck to you. I hope you get justice.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
The CPO range is up to 7 years and 75k miles. It has pretty much full service history and no issues. Boom CPO qualified.

The problem I have is that the dealer i bought it from is the same dealer who performed the tune in 2018, so they should’ve had a record of that when they pulled the car’s records. So it would seem they carelessly missed it, or willfully omitted it.

Sales manager is talking to the dealership owner tomorrow and will let me know what’s decided as a “make-good.”
What's an acceptable make good to you?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Ok that's common knowledge.. my question is how the hell they sold him a tuned car as cpo. Let alone a tuned car that's 6 years old and over 50k miles as cpo
poor workmanship. idk if checking flash counter is part of cpo inspection (it should be) but often on these things the mechanic will just check the boxes

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
I’ve explained it elsewhere in this thread a few times. Basically, guarantee the warranty coverage if VW denies it.

could be a little sketchy in this situation just from my working with dealerships. If you and the service manager come to an agreement outside of VW then that is great but what if he leaves the job. I could see new management saying it wasn't their agreement etc and you aren't protected by VW corp. Would have to lawyer up in that situation and hope to even win.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
could be a little sketchy in this situation just from my working with dealerships. If you and the service manager come to an agreement outside of VW then that is great but what if he leaves the job. I could see new management saying it wasn't their agreement etc and you aren't protected by VW corp. Would have to lawyer up in that situation and hope to even win.
He's smart enough to get the agreement in the dealership's name not an individual.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
He's smart enough to get the agreement in the dealership's name not an individual.

right but the signature would be of the old manager. I'm just saying, I've seen dealers try to get around stuff worse than that. Would have to lawyer up is the only option.

It's like a signed contract with a neighbor not to put up a fence on a property and they move. New owner doesn't need to follow that same contract.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I’ve explained it elsewhere in this thread a few times. Basically, guarantee the warranty coverage if VW denies it.

Honestly, I wouldn't trust that.

"Well, I got it in writing that they will!"

Cool. What happens in a year if something happens, and they refuse to honor it?

tumblr_n7xxnvhMLT1r00543o4_r1_250.gif

Isn't the CPO warranty already in writing? And they won't honor that, so what makes you think they'd honor some gentleman's agreement?

What then? Lawyer up, and pursue it legally? 99% of the time you'd spend more in legal fees than you would just paying for whatever work you're being denied.

I'm just saying, writing or not, be cautious and expect the worse.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It all depends on your relationship with the dealer. When I was driving Subarus, I'd purchased 7 Subarus from the same dealer, was friends with and autocrossed/tracked with both guys in parts and half the mechanics. The engine in my 08 STI was replaced 3 times without a single question. 4th time, Subaru authorized piston replacement, the mechanic pulled the engine apart, sent for machining and installed the forged pistons I supplied with all labor on Subaru.

If you have a longtime relationship with the dealer, then I think you'll be fine. If not, you better have that in writing. Maybe get them to sign it in blood. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
^ this. the CPO can be voided (legally) because car was tuned or was never valid because tuned. Any agreement with dealer will require trust in them or a better attorney. This is one of those hopefully they'll honor it if it is offered/accepted. How much time/miles are we talking about? OP wants a tuned car and wtty (so would I)

Here's hoping he'll get the wtty and never need it (or $1000 refund)

Mud

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Update: Slowly but surely losing hope that they're going to do the right thing. I don't want to share too many details since the discussions are ongoing and could turn legal... but what I offered to them so far is no-go, and what they've offered to me so far is no-go. More to come early next week from the dealership owner (at least it’s risen to the top).

Maybe the joke about getting a free koozie and a hat wasn't so jokey after all... 😞

Last edited:

cb1111

Yooooo this might be the reality after all 😆
Unfortunately true. You may to play your "let me borrow your desk phone to call VW corporate. Let's see what they say" card.

But you'd be surprised at how little some customers will accept.

In the early 80's I was managing an electronics store (PX in Germany). Some idiot blew up his TV by plugging it into the wrong voltage and was pissed that we wouldn't fix it for free. He went storming off to the General Manager's office to complain.

There was steam coming out of the guys head when he blew into the office. He walked out a few minutes later and I thought to myself "crap, we'll end up eating that repair" - but no, the GM backed us up and said "I explained the same thing you told him, but I handed him a handful of Burger King coupons (BK was just starting on base) and told him to take his wife and kids out to dinner on the Exchange the first night it opened" That probably cost $10 and the guy's TV repair was about $150.

Those were crazy times. My store was doing $1M a month in sales (audio/TV/Cameras) and the BK was averaging $375k a month - today, the average BK has $120k in sales.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
In the early 80's I was managing an electronics store (PX in Germany). Some idiot blew up his TV by plugging it into the wrong voltage and was pissed that we wouldn't fix it for free. He went storming off to the General Manager's office to complain.

There was steam coming out of the guys head when he blew into the office. He walked out a few minutes later and I thought to myself "crap, we'll end up eating that repair" - but no, the GM backed us up and said "I explained the same thing you told him, but I handed him a handful of Burger King coupons (BK was just starting on base) and told him to take his wife and kids out to dinner on the Exchange the first night it opened" That probably cost $10 and the guy's TV repair was about $150.

Those were crazy times. My store was doing $1M a month in sales (audio/TV/Cameras) and the BK was averaging $375k a month - today, the average BK has $120k in sales.
That Original Chicken Sandwich tho… 🤤

ok if the dealership starts offering me food, then let’s make a deal baby 😂