GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
When upgrading to the TTS or Macan brakes, has anyone tried upgrading their master cylinder, or is it not necessary? I tried looking up the sizes for each car, but couldn't find much.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
GTI, Golf R and S3 all appear to have the same master cylinder. The standard golf has a smaller one. I have these brakes on my golf and I have zero complaints. I do have a GTI master cylinder (and booster, you'll need both) in my garage that I bought just in case and in all honesty they're never going to be installed.

If you're already in a GTI or Golf R, or in a Golf for that matter, residual pressure valves and red rubber grease are the ways to improve feel if you find it necessary.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
When upgrading to the TTS or Macan brakes, has anyone tried upgrading their master cylinder, or is it not necessary? I tried looking up the sizes for each car, but couldn't find much.

If there was a MC to upgrade to, I would, BUT if you follow the OBD11 settings, use RRG and bleed properly, I don't really think it's needed

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
$900 for rotors??? 🥴

Tough when you can buy Zimmermans with free FCP Euro replacements for $132, or Stoptechs for $320ish
2-piece floating and 7lbs lighter than either of the solid options you listed. Might not be completely in the spirit of this upgrade (pushing the costs closer and closer to a true BBK) but it's nice to see a trusted brand give some love to this niche mod.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
2-piece floating and 7lbs lighter than either of the solid options you listed. Might not be completely in the spirit of this upgrade (pushing the costs closer and closer to a true BBK) but it's nice to see a trusted brand give some love to this niche mod.

Yeah, one of the STH guys at Nats just posted his official weight and f/r weight distribution. Man these things are front heavy. ~62/38

Last edited:

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I don't think it's really necessary although I don't track my car or anything like that.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Yeah, one of the STH guys at Nats just posted his official weight and f/r weight distribution. Man these things are front heavy. ~62/38
Between these calipers and a 2 piece rotor that's about 12-13lbs of unsprung weight lost PER CORNER for under $2k. Not a bad way to up-spec our cars with mostly OEM parts.

You could swap a 2 piece floating rotor for a clubsport S rotor set at ~$600 and still save a couple pounds, but then you're still swapping a full $600 set later versus just buying rings.

https://store.ngpracing.com/genuine...otors-340x30mm-fits-several-applications.html

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Between these calipers and a 2 piece rotor that's about 12-13lbs of unsprung weight lost PER CORNER for under $2k. Not a bad way to up-spec our cars with mostly OEM parts.

You could swap a 2 piece floating rotor for a clubsport S rotor set at ~$600 and still save a couple pounds, but then you're still swapping a full $600 set later versus just buying rings.

https://store.ngpracing.com/genuine...otors-340x30mm-fits-several-applications.html

Yeah, focusing on weight loss at the front of the car should definitely pay off.

Calipers, rotors, wheels, battery are all low hanging fruit.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've also found that this car hates rake, with 62/38 weight distribution, makes sense, and hates loss of travel. If you lower the car, keep the rake to a minimum and cut those bumpstops to maintain travel.

sebcioo2

Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F0 1.8
Dear can I fit one of these wheels without any spacers ?
OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 et45
OZ Omnia 18x8 et45
OZ Superturismo LM 18x8 et45
Hi MQB Folks

Yesterday I purchased new rimms for my car with new shiny big brake macan brakes and I tried OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 et45. Those rims clears macan calliper with around 2-3mm space from closest calliper side. I own Seat Leon 5F0 but it should be the same for Golf MK7 (MK7,5).

My setup is:
Macan callipers
DBA T3 4000 Discs
EBC Yellow as worth to mention there is no Ferrodo DS2500 for this calliper (there is one from Mitsubishi but do not fit directly - you need to adjust the pad to fit correctly)

IMG_5573.jpg

Apologize for not really good picture, if somebody is interested tomorrow I'm gonna to put tires and fit it to the car. I can make some photos then.

I'm gonna to try this setup next week on track day, for those that would like to try oem brakes on track with around 100mph speed in between the corners I'm sending below picture to warn you...

IMG_5555.jpg

Cheers folks!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hi MQB Folks

Yesterday I purchased new rimms for my car with new shiny big brake macan brakes and I tried OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 et45. Those rims clears macan calliper with around 2-3mm space from closest calliper side. I own Seat Leon 5F0 but it should be the same for Golf MK7 (MK7,5).

My setup is:
Macan callipers
DBA T3 4000 Discs
EBC Yellow as worth to mention there is no Ferrodo DS2500 for this calliper (there is one from Mitsubishi but do not fit directly - you need to adjust the pad to fit correctly)

View attachment 224866

Apologize for not really good picture, if somebody is interested tomorrow I'm gonna to put tires and fit it to the car. I can make some photos then.

I'm gonna to try this setup next week on track day, for those that would like to try oem brakes on track with around 100mph speed in between the corners I'm sending below picture to warn you...

View attachment 224867

Cheers folks!

I used the dba 4000 rotors on my 05 STi. Solid choice. Looks good.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Has anyone had really bad squeak coming from their brakes? Got the stoptech z26 and they started squeaking at about 3k miles. Pad wear looks good but the squeak is really bad.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Has anyone had really bad squeak coming from their brakes? Got the stoptech z26 and they started squeaking at about 3k miles. Pad wear looks good but the squeak is really bad.

What's the ambient temps where you live?

If temps get into the 60's, I'll get one little squeal on first stop, but that's about it.

The track day compound squeal though.