GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are you guys paying for insurance?

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I pay about $85 a month for my GTI and RX-7.
You can't just drop rx7 and not share pictures

I pay $650 for 6 months for full coverage on my GTI and the girlfriends Saab 9-5.

We also street park in a city, have degrees, no accidents on record, don't spit in the wind on a Tuesday, and all the other million things that effect insurance rates.

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
For mk7.5 - 472 USD per year with full coverage (excl GAP - no available any more due to age), decent set of extras, unlimited asistance worlwide and of course MTPL.
For mk1 - 120 USD per year but thats just MTPL plus only some extras.

fauMkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf R
  • 2 Cars - Volvo XC70 (family hauler) and Golf R
  • Highest possible coverage on both
  • $890 every 6 months
  • I do have my house insurance bundled with them and my wife gets a military discount

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Not exactly sure for the GTI specifically but I pay $135 for the GTI and a 2009 Honda Accord monthly. Both full coverage with Progressive.

RuffledJersey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 S DSG
Totally useless data point but:

2019 Golf S: pay $338 for six months of high coverage with Amica (includes discounts for multiple vehicles, bundling with home and umbrella coverage, defensive driving course, paperless options, etc.). No fees for paying with a credit card over time so I earn credit card rewards.

We’re on a dividend plan so I get 20% of my premium back by check. That’s a bottom line of $270.40 for six months. (Plus I’ve had nothing but good service from them over the years so I’m willing to pay a little more for peace of mind if need be.)

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
By how much does insurance drop as time goes by and as driving history grows?

(Another pointless personal anecdote.)

Not much unless you move to (or garage) at a different location. 10yrs w/ my MCS, same garaged address, no (reported) tix, no change in mileage, no accidents, same full coverage w/ $250 deduct. The premium went down total of $10/month not including a loyalty discount of 10% after 3yrs. Went up $15 when I switch to the GTI, then 6 months "free" w/ the COVID refund.

Just to reinforce the location aspect, if I moved over 6 streets to the west (closer to gang-infested areas), my premium would go up $17/month. 10 blocks north and it'll drop $24/month (nicer area).

Verichai

Passed Driver's Ed
I wouldn't say that the thread is "pointless". I was just curious how much of a spread there is on people's premiums, to 'see what's possible', so to speak. Too many factors determine what people to pay to make any true comparisons, I understand that, but post #3 does answer one question: why is the GTI so expensive to insure. The answer is because these cars are so fun, you knuckleheads are speeding everywhere (as am I).

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
(Another pointless personal anecdote.)

Not much unless you move to (or garage) at a different location. 10yrs w/ my MCS, same garaged address, no (reported) tix, no change in mileage, no accidents, same full coverage w/ $250 deduct. The premium went down total of $10/month not including a loyalty discount of 10% after 3yrs. Went up $15 when I switch to the GTI, then 6 months "free" w/ the COVID refund.

Just to reinforce the location aspect, if I moved over 6 streets to the west (closer to gang-infested areas), my premium would go up $17/month. 10 blocks north and it'll drop $24/month (nicer area).

Not pointless at all. Thanks for sharing.