GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are you guys paying for insurance?

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
$409 6-month premium with Geico, which includes their Mechanical Breakdown Insurance + increased coverage for a few other options.
But that’s also with a multi-line discount (have renter’s insurance + motorcycle + another vehicle with them).

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Woahhhh am I getting completely ripped off at $1,500 for Geico 6 month premium???
If this is serious, that sounds like their “we don’t want to insure you” rate

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
and a billion other things - education, work, marital status, age, sex, miles driven per year, reason for driving, times driven, people in household, driving record, garage/street parking etc.
Not to mention that nobody is listing their full coverage limits, whether medical coverage is included or not, rental coverage, etc.

What are we doing here….

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Thanks for reminding me, I need to shop around. Started with met life last year @ $160/mo fully insured on a financed car.

checked last month and it’s 260 now. That’s how they get ya. Basically have to get new insurance every year

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
This thread is pointless... Insurance costs are going to vary widely depending zip code, driver age, and driving record.

So anywhere from $400-$3,000 every 6 months.

and a billion other things - education, work, marital status, age, sex, miles driven per year, reason for driving, times driven, people in household, driving record, garage/street parking etc.

This subject crops up periodically on predominantly UK based forums and I agree, it’s pretty meaningless.

Motor insurers‘ pricing algorithms are very sophisticated these days and they use a multitude of different risk factors - some of which you might not immediately associate with the risk of insuring a car. Because of the large number of risk factors used, it’s likely no two customers will get the same price due to the large number of possible permutations of risk profile; in fact is very likely that two risks with seemingly identical risk factors will have very different premiums through the same insurance company.

I don’t know how the car insurance market works in the US but in the UK, we have online comparison sites which makes it possible for individuals to check prices and coverage across a wide range of insurance companies, enabling them to see if their current price / cover represents a good deal or not compared to available alternatives in the market. Customers are encouraged to research the market and change insurer at policy renewal date if they find cover that meets their needs at a more competitive price. Insurance companies don’t seem to place a high value on customer loyalty in the UK, and the only thing you’re likely to get if you stay with the same insurer year after year are large premium increases!

Its also worth bearing in mind that cheapest isn’t necessarily the best though - with any product or service, if it’s cheap then usually it’s cheap for a reason. With car insurance cheap may mean poor claims service, non OEM parts used for vehicle repairs, excessively high excess levels (deductibles) so price isn’t the only factor to consider - IMHO good claims service and the quality of repairs are very important considerations too.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Mines just up for renewal..so thats £392 ($541 at current exchange rates) for the next 12months...& that's fully comp & allows me to drive other peoples cars insured as 3rd party....This last part used to be standard on all UK policies years ago, but many people were keeping other cars under this ..so many insurers closed the loop hole & don't offer this. I have it as I require it!

Breakdown at home & full rescue & recovery/onward travel is £92/yr for me...($127 at current exchange rates)

But then again I have no driving convictions, the car is garaged, & I live in a low crime area & have a good credit record... :cool:

..:unsure:

(Boring old-ish fart)... .. :ROFLMAO:

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
I pay $497.33 a year for my 2021 with a $500 deductible and that is full comprehensive coverage that includes towing and rental car .

Last edited:

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Unfortunately its the truth, I am in Brooklyn though so this is probably a big price factor.

Ahhh that makes sense. Mine dropped significantly once I moved more towards the country, plus stated it was being parked in a garage in a single-family home.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Mines just up for renewal..so thats £392 ($541 at current exchange rates) for the next 12months...& that's fully comp & allows me to drive other peoples cars insured as 3rd party....This last part used to be standard on all UK policies years ago, but many people were keeping other cars under this ..so many insurers closed the loop hole & don't offer this. I have it as I require it!

Breakdown at home & full rescue & recovery/onward travel is £92/yr for me...($127 at current exchange rates)

But then again I have no driving convictions, the car is garaged, & I live in a low crime area & have a good credit record... :cool:

..:unsure:

(Boring old-ish fart)... .. :ROFLMAO:
Mine’s £379 (US $524) with a £250 excess for 12 months fully comprehensive cover for my 2020 Polo GTI+ and includes the following within that price;
  • No claims discount protection
  • legal expenses cover
  • breakdown recovery within the UK and home assistance
  • provision and use of a courtesy car in the event of an accident
Glass cover is included as it is with pretty much all UK policies - I seem to remember reading that glass cover might be an extra cost add-on in the US?

Same as @golfdave, my car is garaged, I live in a low crime area, I have a clean licence and no convictions and I have good credit record.

I’m also a boring old-ish fart!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
USAA with $100 deductible is $506

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Unfortunately its the truth, I am in Brooklyn though so this is probably a big price factor.
I lived on Staten Island for the first 50 years of my life.
Moved my MK7 GTI out here to Manalapan NJ, and there was a large drop in my insurance rate.
Having lived in both locations, it's easy to see why.
So much less traffic here, parking is off of the street, vandalism is practically unheard of - no junkies breaking into cars for stuff to steal and sell.