Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
still? dang....

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Well I spoke too soon....3x on a drive this week..hahahahaha...then no more. So strange.
Any of these settings help?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210904-133801_OBDeleven.jpg
    Screenshot_20210904-133801_OBDeleven.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 126

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Update. Just installed the APR BBK and did a thorough flush/bleed. Take off feels better now and I wonder if this really is a brake release issue.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
Update. Just installed the APR BBK and did a thorough flush/bleed. Take off feels better now and I wonder if this really is a brake release issue.
Update? Hope you figured it out man. What a saga.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Update? Hope you figured it out man. What a saga.
I wouldn't call this a saga...just a strange tick that we're trying to figure out. I have no negative issues related to it. I thought with the BBK maybe it went away but I have still had it happen recently. It's under a certain set of circumstances.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Nope....it still does it from time to time even with the new brakes. I'm strarting to think about fluid. Anyone with this issue in this post running the OE fluid? I had this issue before I changed to the Liquimoly DSG fluid but not nearly as often. The fluid really just provides an oil bath to the clutches BUT maybe has something to do with this?

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Nope....it still does it from time to time even with the new brakes. I'm strarting to think about fluid. Anyone with this issue in this post running the OE fluid? I had this issue before I changed to the Liquimoly DSG fluid but not nearly as often. The fluid really just provides an oil bath to the clutches BUT maybe has something to do with this?
It did it with both OE and Motul DCTF. It does it even more now with a DSG tune. In my situation, it usually happens on flat or slight incline surfaces. It'll engage 1st, then pop out of gear, then wait a second or two to go back into 1st. This mainly happens with the engine off due to start/stop function. If I turn off the engine start/stop, I rarely have this DSG issue.

I've pretty much given up tackling this issue.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It did it with both OE and Motul DCTF. It does it even more now with a DSG tune. In my situation, it usually happens on flat or slight incline surfaces. It'll engage 1st, then pop out of gear, then wait a second or two to go back into 1st. This mainly happens with the engine off due to start/stop function. If I turn off the engine start/stop, I rarely have this DSG issue.

I've pretty much given up tackling this issue.
Ok good data points - thank you. I sort it out by just easing off the brake pedal.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
My gti has the manual parking brake, but the behavior existed with previous pads. My rear pads were gloc r8, which have a tendency to fuse to the disc when they sit for a bit. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it now and see. So far I've been able to just drop the brake and away we go. Worst case so far it just had a rougher engagement but no in and out of gear.
Update... My wife has been driving the car daily because she likes the size compared to her 5k lb suv and says this issue has not occurred again. Every time I've taken the car recently it has also behaved fine. There are times when it seems like the engagement and vibration from stand still are worse (usually when the car is hot and restarted while previously driving around in sport), but it never does the full pop in and out of gear. I have intentionally just been dropping the brake every chance I remember and still all good. I really, really think this is related to brake bias. With anything pushing more bite to the rear (more aggressive rear pad for example) it seems to occur, and I believe the logic for release is looking at brake release and wheel speed. With no wheels turning but release up, it probably trips a fail safe to pull the car from gear so it doesn't stall.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Update... My wife has been driving the car daily because she likes the size compared to her 5k lb suv and says this issue has not occurred again. Every time I've taken the car recently it has also behaved fine. There are times when it seems like the engagement and vibration from stand still are worse (usually when the car is hot and restarted while previously driving around in sport), but it never does the full pop in and out of gear. I have intentionally just been dropping the brake every chance I remember and still all good. I really, really think this is related to brake bias. With anything pushing more bite to the rear (more aggressive rear pad for example) it seems to occur, and I believe the logic for release is looking at brake release and wheel speed. With no wheels turning but release up, it probably trips a fail safe to pull the car from gear so it doesn't stall.
I really agree with you here - it's just like you desribe for me...comes/goes and I think it's the brakes and how the DSG engages and there must a be a fail-safe where it says "you will stall release".

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I really agree with you here - it's just like you desribe for me...comes/goes and I think it's the brakes and how the DSG engages and there must a be a fail-safe where it says "you will stall release".
Out of curiosity how do your rear rotors look? Do they have a good amount of pad deposit? Is it uneven deposit? I noticed my brakes that were causing issues in the rear were getting stuck on their own deposits after sitting when hot. This is normal for high ceramic/metal content pads and they need frequent rebedding as a result. Not an issue for track use since they clean themselves in that setting, but with street use they built up a lot of deposit and the pad imprint would be there for weeks if they got too hot and were left to just sit.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Out of curiosity how do your rear rotors look? Do they have a good amount of pad deposit? Is it uneven deposit? I noticed my brakes that were causing issues in the rear were getting stuck on their own deposits after sitting when hot. This is normal for high ceramic/metal content pads and they need frequent rebedding as a result. Not an issue for track use since they clean themselves in that setting, but with street use they built up a lot of deposit and the pad imprint would be there for weeks if they got too hot and were left to just sit.
They look "fine" to me - no deposits I can see. I run EBC Yellowstuffs with Stoptech slotted rotors. Just did 2 days at VIR with them.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
They look "fine" to me - no deposits I can see. I run EBC Yellowstuffs with Stoptech slotted rotors. Just did 2 days at VIR with them.
Yeah the yellows are pretty mild. Once they do break in though, and after you get them above 750*F, their characteristics change a bit. They become more on/off as they get hot, in my experience. Assuming you're running them in front too?

My thought is, on the street we'd all likely keep traction control on and when ripping around in sport with some tossing it into turns, the rear brakes will get a serious workout. with no time to cool sitting motionless at lights, they'd get into the "grippy" heat range before the fronts would. On next start of the car with car still pretty warm, the balance is slightly off and low speed release characteristics will hang onto the rear longer. The grippier the rear pad, the greater the difference. This is why I think going to milder rear pads helped my situation.

FST_NML

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI S DSG LP/PP
this happens to mine as well (I have EQT's TCU tune), but only when cold, especially when on an incline. I've just learned to live and adapt by releasing the brake slowly on take off 🤷‍♂️