GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

ScozR

Ready to race!
In most cases Jim is right but there are exceptions. You can read my experience in this thread but with the quality gas we have here, even the OTS stage 1 tune was too hot. Im on 94 octane with a dialed back stage 1. Custom tune was a good route for me.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
In most cases Jim is right but there are exceptions. You can read my experience in this thread but with the quality gas we have here, even the OTS stage 1 tune was too hot. Im on 94 octane with a dialed back stage 1. Custom tune was a good route for me.
Poor BC Canucks, they should not be able to sell that crap. In comparision this is an IS38 on German pump 102Ron 😃

steinfeld

Passed Driver's Ed

Hey ScozR, i noticed you went with Chevron 94 now and ditched Shell 91? The biggest change I saw was that my exhaust tips don't build up black soot anymore with Chevron 94. I have the OTS Stage 1 Tune - what problems were you having? I've got to learn how to read a datalog but you mentioned too much knock in 4th gear? What do audible pings sound like in an engine? I'm worried now lol.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hey ScozR, i noticed you went with Chevron 94 now and ditched Shell 91? The biggest change I saw was that my exhaust tips don't build up black soot anymore with Chevron 94. I have the OTS Stage 1 Tune - what problems were you having? I've got to learn how to read a datalog but you mentioned too much knock in 4th gear? What do audible pings sound like in an engine? I'm worried now lol.
Audible misfires sound like a rapid knocking clicking sound.

ScozR

Ready to race!

I observe the same thing using Chevron 94. No soot anymore. The problems I had are as described in my post: Audible pinging as Jim described and I got a single cylinder misfire on one run that I was logging data for EQT. Thats it though. After tune refinements and higher octane gas, it runs very well now. I still get the odd knock event but well within acceptable limits.

I would most definitely recommend looking at some data logs or posting them here for others to look at seeing as you’re in BC as well. I would also recommend sending EQT some data even if it costs a bit of money. Worth it.

Last edited:

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I'm still in the process of custom tuning my is38 GTI with Nick @ EQT and all is going well. Nick has been responsive and the car feels great. If posting logs before the tune is complete is frowned upon, just let me know and I'll delete it, but I did have a question about my latest 2nd to 4th gear pull.

In 2nd gear between 2.63-3.74 seconds and 6100RPM - 6400RPM, the RPM’s and relative manifold pressure bounce around a bit and don’t continuously climb. What's happening here?

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 3.22.56 PM.png

Last edited:

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
not the smooth part, the delta part. it doesnt do that in 3rd? at that rpm?
It does not. 3rd and 4th are smooth, it's just 2nd that goes up and down for a second or so before climbing again at 6300 @ 3.84 seconds in the log.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Question: if your Vortex Turbo needs to be replaced, does EQT cover the shops labor charge for Replacing the Turbo? Or EQT will only cover Vortex turbo, not install costs?