GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG jumping out of gear on take off

tigeo

Autocross Champion
No the easiest way to reproduce is to pull away from a hill. Whether you're in D or Sport or Eco has no effect on the behaviour. It's most likely a bad mechatronics unit but unless it completely craps out, it's too intermittent to diagnose. My VW mechanic friend said it's highly likely it's the mechatronics too if brake hold isn't interfering with the DSG behaviour. Which in theory makes sense since I never had these issues in my first year of ownership and only now is it getting worse.
Ours are doing this on flat ground. I don't have much if any issue on hills, less so than on flats. The hill-brake doesn't impact it.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Ours are doing this on flat ground. I don't have much if any issue on hills, less so than on flats. The hill-brake doesn't impact it.
It happens on level surface too for me. But if you want to reproduce it with a dealer mechanic, go on a hill and hope it happens. When I was at the dealer, it didn't stumble so I was SOL. I must have went about 2 months without the issue occurring again then it randomly did it today before and after the tune.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Are you able to reproduce it by following this process?:
Start cold car and drive for 10 mins
Put it in sport and drive hard for a minute
Park and turn off car
Wait 5 minutes
Start car and check for the bogging behavior

If it does occur, can you prevent or make it better by going back to normal and then to sport again?
This is v. detailed..hahahahah. I will try this tomorrow. I feel like this is it - I get it more when I'm in/out of sport than if I'm just farting around in D but of course I don't have details to substantiate this.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Went for a drive. Got the same D1 to D and then D1 like you described in the OP. Wonder if it's a bad batch of transmissions since it's affecting very few DSG owners.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Went for a drive. Got the same D1 to D and then D1 like you described in the OP. Wonder if it's a bad batch of transmissions since it's affecting very few DSG owners.
I think it's the brake release vs. a trans issue.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I think it's the brake release vs. a trans issue.

Oh apparently a local GTI owner had the exact same issue. Dealer ended up replacing the mechatronic and clutch pack and now everything is behaving the way it should be. Lmao maybe I shouldn't have flashed after all.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Oh apparently a local GTI owner had the exact same issue. Dealer ended up replacing the mechatronic and clutch pack and now everything is behaving the way it should be. Lmao maybe I shouldn't have flashed after all.
I mean I can do a basic setting refresh and everything "works fine" for a while, then comes back.

Dealers often go for the hammer to kill the fly, and sometimes burn the house down, but that's also because they get more for the work under warranty...

If you really think this is it, flash it back and take it in to them. What do you have to lose?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
At 60K miles and tuned/bolt-ons/etc., I'm not bothering with the warranty here. This is not on VW, this on a bazillion launches and basically driving the crap out of it. Would be so hard to repeat for a tech it's just not worth the hassle. I'll drive it until it dies.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I've "launched" it at a few at autocross where I immediately came off the throttle and had clutches engage properly. Other than that it saw lots of track use, but after the initial movement it performed great on track, and still does. I'm very certain there's absolutely nothing wrong with the transmission itself. There would be a lot of other symptoms to note if there were real mechatronic or clutch issues. Like actual clutch slip or failed gear engagements in higher gears.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I've "launched" it at a few at autocross where I immediately came off the throttle and had clutches engage properly. Other than that it saw lots of track use, but after the initial movement it performed great on track, and still does. I'm very certain there's absolutely nothing wrong with the transmission itself. There would be a lot of other symptoms to note if there were real mechatronic or clutch issues. Like actual clutch slip or failed gear engagements in higher gears.
Correct.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Last weekend I raised my ride height by 1/2" and replaced all brake pads and rotors... I'm no longer getting the in and out of gear dance. No other changes done and the week prior to these changes it popped in and out of gear like we've been talking about.

I recall someone else mentioned they did something with the rear brakes and the issue started...? I did have extremely aggressive rear pads on previously and these new ones are way more street friendly. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?... Like once the rear brakes are at operating temp and grippier, the clutches aren't slipping as much as they should? Doesn't make sense why changing the drive mode would help the issue though unless it resets the short term clutch adaptation each time the button is pressed...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Last weekend I raised my ride height by 1/2" and replaced all brake pads and rotors... I'm no longer getting the in and out of gear dance. No other changes done and the week prior to these changes it popped in and out of gear like we've been talking about.

I recall someone else mentioned they did something with the rear brakes and the issue started...? I did have extremely aggressive rear pads on previously and these new ones are way more street friendly. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?... Like once the rear brakes are at operating temp and grippier, the clutches aren't slipping as much as they should? Doesn't make sense why changing the drive mode would help the issue though unless it resets the short term clutch adaptation each time the button is pressed...
Update on my end - haven't really had this happen more than once/twice in the last few mos. I just am careul to let off the brake more slowly is all. I think the brake hypothesis is a good one!

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Hmmm... thinking back, we may be onto something here. My mom’s 2011 CC also did the in-and-out thing on take off, and that car had E-Parking brake. My 2015 GTI with non-PP brakes and manual parking brake never had the in-and-out issue on takeoff.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Hmmm... thinking back, we may be onto something here. My mom’s 2011 CC also did the in-and-out thing on take off, and that car had E-Parking brake. My 2015 GTI with non-PP brakes and manual parking brake never had the in-and-out issue on takeoff.
My gti has the manual parking brake, but the behavior existed with previous pads. My rear pads were gloc r8, which have a tendency to fuse to the disc when they sit for a bit. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it now and see. So far I've been able to just drop the brake and away we go. Worst case so far it just had a rougher engagement but no in and out of gear.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Well I spoke too soon....3x on a drive this week..hahahahaha...then no more. So strange.