GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What method of payment does everyone use?

Bheit

Passed Driver's Ed
Its been a long time since ive been in the buying ands selling of things on a forum. With that said, what is everyones preferred payment methods for selling things online. Also what does everyone use as a general rule when being a seller? Do you get full payment then ship, partial payment then ship? With me selling my acessport and the amount I am selling for, it made me wonder what is considered the normal now a days.

Brian

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
PayPal or cash in person. Prompt and tracked Shipment upon payment only. The only exceptions were deposits for larger items (over $1000) and then still wait for full payment before shipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahard48

Ready to race!
Paypal/cash. Only real secure way of payment to protect the buyer from a not so trust worthy person.

Bheit

Passed Driver's Ed
I just got done using google wallet. I have sent money on it before to a friend but never for a transaction. It transferred instantly, and went into my bank account instantly. Best part was no fees. For piece of mind on both the buyer and seller we did a 75% down 25% after proof of shipping. Made us both feel better.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Obviously PayPal (NOT Friends & Family, as this offers zero protection) is a very popular way to do transactions online because of their buyer protection.

I will add that there is also benefit to using a credit card when you pay via PayPal. I recently purchased something via this forum that turned out to be partially broken. PayPal dispute was awarded to me but the only option required eating shipping costs for a 50lb package. I got my credit card company to continue the negotiation with PayPal and the CC company ended up getting me the refund I desired.

Last edited:

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
PayPal for everything I buy and sell on the forum and anywhere else it‘s accepted as a payment option. It’s secure and has saved me a time or two from dishonest sellers/services.

I always ask for payment upfront and ship same day.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
PayPal for everything I buy and sell on the forum and anywhere else it‘s accepted as a payment option. It’s secure and has saved me a time or two from dishonest sellers/services.

I always ask for payment upfront and ship same day.
Good thing you bumped this from 3 years ago to let us know to use Paypal. I was really starting to stress out about how to make online purchases. (y)

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Good thing you bumped this from 3 years ago to let us know to use Paypal. I was really starting to stress out about how to make online purchases. (y)
Too funny! That'll teach me for responding to posts at 5:30 in the morning. Didn't even look at the date. :ROFLMAO:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
How about Venmo? I had a seller that wanted that, but I don't trust any payment type except Amazon, and few places take it. DAP does. I don't think you have any protections though.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I have used Venmo when I didn’t have cash but someone was ordering food on a card or something. “Hey I’ll pick up lunch for ya while I’m at WaWa oh thanks man I’ll Venmo you later”.

For purchases and strangers I use PayPal.

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
PayPal is great for buyers but it is a complete shit show for sellers. I've heard many horror stories of people getting screwed over by fraudsters. Unfortunately I don't think there is really a great alternative. Venmo I use a lot with friends but I'm not sure if there is any recourse for buying things long distance from a stranger.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
PayPal is great for buyers but it is a complete shit show for sellers. I've heard many horror stories of people getting screwed over by fraudsters. Unfortunately I don't think there is really a great alternative. Venmo I use a lot with friends but I'm not sure if there is any recourse for buying things long distance from a stranger.
You're right about PayPal and sellers. I sold a perfect smartphone and the buyer opened a claim with PayPal and said that the screen was scratched and it was not. I had to refund the purchase and received the phone back with a scratched screen that wasn't like that when I sent it. I had a tempered glass screen protector on the phone that was gone when I got it back.