GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turns out I bought a tuned CPO car

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Bought this weekend. My car is VW CPO certified, but I sent the VIN to APR and they confirmed it was Stage 1 (93, high torque) tuned in 2018. What's the best course of action here? I really like the tune, but I also want to keep the CPO warranty. According to APR, the tune was actually done by the dealership I bought it from.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
i probably would just never mention it to them and if they do ever try to deny warranty coverage because of the tune you can argue that's how they sold it to you
Does the ECU have a record of when it was tuned? APR does, but does the ECU itself contain that record? If so, I'm possibly OK with that approach since that would prove the tune was done before it was sold to me.

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Does the ECU have a record of when it was tuned? APR does, but does the ECU itself contain that record? If so, I'm probably OK with that approach since that would prove the tune was done before it was sold to me.
idk about WHEN but it certainly logs that it was indeed tuned. did you buy the car from a VW dealer? if so then i'd imagine they already know it's tuned

and the fact that APR logs and confirms the date should be good enough

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
idk about WHEN but it certainly logs that it was indeed tuned. did you buy the car from a VW dealer? if so then i'd imagine they already know it's tuned
Yes, I bought it CPO from the same dealership that actually installed the tune 3 years ago.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Ha, any other free stuff going on? Check the downpipe, intercooler and turbo.
I know right? LOL I don't even know what to look for. The car doesn't SOUND like there's other stuff done to it. A better intercooler would be amazing -- how would I check for that?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I know right? LOL I don't even know what to look for. The car doesn't SOUND like there's other stuff done to it. A better intercooler would be amazing -- how would I check for that?
If it’s a front mount, it’s easy to see from the front of the car. If it’s the factory location, it will be sandwiched between the radiator and a/c condenser, so not as easy to check without getting under the car and dropping the under tray.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I got a co-worker going through this right now with dodge. He bought a used challenger, it turns out there were more things done to the car than they originally found and they never should have sold it with some of those mods. He wants the full warranty so they're giving him his money back and he's going to buy a new one from them for a few grand more.