GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Catted Downpipe vs Catback Exhaust (interior noise)

yantastic

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m in my 30s and the Borla Exhaust is starting to get old for my MK7. A good amount of sound does make its way into the cabin on throttle and slight drone when cruising.

I am looking to remove my catback exhaust and just put in a downpipe.

How do the sounds between a catted downpipe and catback exhaust differ on the interior? It’s hard to gauge from videos of interior sounds. Does DP make less sound in the cabin?

I’ve disabled sound actor

Last edited:

heftysmurf

Ready to race!
Will you be adding a catted downpipe to the Borla exhaust?
Or will you be adding a catted downpipe and putting the stock catback on?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I have never run a catcback on this car, but I have a catted DP and the amount of noise is just right for me. Not loud, not quiet. Doesn't drone,

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I have ran a catless downpipe on the stock catback, stock downpipe with a borla catback, and catless downpipe with a borla catback. The full exhaust sounded sporty as hell and didnt have drone, but it sounded like a tractor at low speeds. The stock catback + catless downpipe sounded like a raspy tractor, and the borla system on stock downpipe didnt sound any different than stock. If I were to do it all over again (which I will be, as I am upgrading to a 2019), I would just leave it all stock.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I've got a catted DP with a stock exhaust. At cold start you can tell the car is louder. Once warmed up...the car idles like stock. Under normal driving...its slightly louder then stock. Get on the throttle it's noticeably louder. If you have a DSG...the farts are a lot louder.