GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Offered 32K for 2019 Alltrack SE, considering options

cb1111

As soon as the chip market corrects, I predict that the value of used cars will plummet. When that happens, a lot of people are going to be underwater on their loans and those cars will enter the market as people dump them.

My dad always said "never buy anything on credit (house excluded) unless you can pay cash for it, but it is more convenient, cheaper or easier to buy it on credit. And then pay it off as soon as possible"

I've only paid cash for cars - put a couple on credit cards and paid them off at the end of the month, several with 0% interest and one with .9% interest when CDs were paying 4%.

I've mostly driven nice cars, but I've also driven beaters including Renault 12 (or maybe 14 - it was so awful that I put it out of my mind) and one of those Honda AWD station wagon/van thingies. But everything was paid for and that was great.

A car isn't worth it - buy basic transportation until you can pay cash for the car you want - especially since you don't really love what you have.

But there is one non-negotiable requirement. Even if you sell your car, you'll have to continue to hang out here.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Sell the car and pay off the debt. It's a no-brainer when you have buyer's remorse.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Used car prices are still unusually high, so selling now and buying later isn't a terrible idea, especially if it helps you get out of credit card debt. A few words of caution though:
-be wary of splitting a car payment if you aren't on the title. If you're viewing it as a use-fee, like renting your use of it, great, but don't expect to own a % of it.
-the Atlas is very practical, but they're NOT sporty to drive, at all. They're very big inside though.
-why not the Tiguan? It's slightly larger than your all track, but much nicer to drive and way more fuel efficient than the Atlas. It's not the top rated vehicle in the class, but if you're comfortable with the golf platform, it will feel very familiar.
-old man time; don't go out and get another big car payment right after you ditch the CC debt or you'll be right back where you started in 5 years.
I have a 2017 first gen Tiguan and can't wait to trade it in once the car market recovers. The get-up-and-go is nice, but the gravelly, slow shifting transmission makes the thing almost unbearable to drive. They really missed the mark with the trans in this thing

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I have a 2017 first gen Tiguan and can't wait to trade it in once the car market recovers. The get-up-and-go is nice, but the gravelly, slow shifting transmission makes the thing almost unbearable to drive. They really missed the mark with the trans in this thing
I was referring to the gen 2; his wagon is actually bigger than the 1st gen. My wife has a 2018 and we love it. The transmission tuning was overly lazy, but they issued a TSB that fixed it and the newer ones all come that way. It's certainly not fast, but it's comfy, gets 32mpg on road trips, and fits 3 humans, 2 large dogs, and all our luggage with the roof box.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Definitely sell the car. It doesn't make sense to pay $400+/mo + insurance, registration and maintenance on a car you don't even like.

Keep the parts around till you decide what car you want next. If it's an Alltrack, great, reuse your parts. If not, sell them then to add to the down payment of your car.

Short term IMO you should definitely be getting rid of CC debt. 20%+ APR on that balance is a ton and your car loan in the future will definitely be much lower than that.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Credit cards actually accruing interest and saving for a house are diametrically opposed.

Cut loose the Alltrack, I would cut loose the parts too. Put all modded car/fun car plans on hold. Pour all available funds into paying down debt until that's not even a consideration.

When you come out the other side of the tunnel maybe start shopping again.

yeah I spoke with my dad about it - if the market is still trash come March/April instead of buying a car I will pay off the remainder of my student loans at which point I would be truly debt-free. And my parents confirmed they’d share the Subaru with me until I get my next car.

im fucking doing this.

only contingency so far is the guy is from Texas so he needs me to get OEM wheels + AS back on the car, as it’s currently on winter wheels and he won’t be able to find a buyer for them down south.

anyone got some cheapo Austin’s or similar 18” OEM wheel for sale? Philly/MidAtlantic area

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Definitely sell the car. It doesn't make sense to pay $400+/mo + insurance, registration and maintenance on a car you don't even like.

Keep the parts around till you decide what car you want next. If it's an Alltrack, great, reuse your parts. If not, sell them then to add to the down payment of your car.

Short term IMO you should definitely be getting rid of CC debt. 20%+ APR on that balance is a ton and your car loan in the future will definitely be much lower than that.

0% interest on the credit debt. I know how to play the game.

in fact I’m proud to say I’ve never paid a dollar of interest on any credit card ever. When I started accruing debt, it was on a 0% interest for purchases 0% balance transfer card. I keep excel documents of my monthly payments on all debt sources, including the expiration dates of intro offers like 0% interest with a 3-month color-coded marking leading up to it so I have time to process a new balance transfer on a new card before the offer expires. Done it 3 or 4 times now

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

in fact I’m proud to say I’ve never paid a dollar of interest on any credit card ever. When I started accruing debt, it was on a 0% interest for purchases 0% balance transfer card.
How?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

in fact I’m proud to say I’ve never paid a dollar of interest on any credit card ever. When I started accruing debt, it was on a 0% interest for purchases 0% balance transfer card. I keep excel documents of my monthly payments on all debt sources, including the expiration dates of intro offers like 0% interest with a 3-month color-coded marking leading up to it so I have time to process a new balance transfer on a new card before the offer expires. Done it 3 or 4 times now

That's smarter, but it's still not fun having that balance hanging over your head.

I had about $7500 on a 0% CC due to intro offer (wedding expenses). I've got it down to $4k now but it sucks having to pay for that every month. Looking forward to it being over already.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
my thoughts when reading over a few post from OP.

1. To keep or sell your car is ultimately your decision but buying an Lux SUV is going to put you right back in the "hole" sort of
2. I wouldn't pay for your girlfriends car payment. Yes you need a car but she owns her car and you get nothing in return. Unless it's your wife, otherwise you are renting a car from her where that money could be used to pay for another car.
3. It's not a get out of jail free card, but, Whatever you do, look into a balance transfer of your cc debt. Many new cards offer free XX month 0APR, so transfer, pay your chunks and you will save.

You mentioned looking into audi sq5, you have a gti now. You're like me and have good taste but good taste is expensive. SQ5 is 50K new, a used nice one is going to be a lot too. Any new SUV is going to be alot of money per month most likely more than you spend now. The ultimate goal is to not have a CC payment or car payment. I have both but my car is close to paid off tgod.

You also mentioned your going to be getting paid 19k more or something. Thats a lot of money more per month. Essentially around 600$ per check or 1150 ish each month.

Summary: If the price is right then sell. Buying another lux suv is going to be MORE expensive. If you want a clean plate now then fine. But you really need to learn to save and spend properly. More money does not mean more spending! With the extra 1k a month promo you should be able to either pay off your cc, live comfortably. Learn better finances, its hard lol. Good luck

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
That's smarter, but it's still not fun having that balance hanging over your head.

I had about $7500 on a 0% CC due to intro offer (wedding expenses). I've got it down to $4k now but it sucks having to pay for that every month. Looking forward to it being over already.

This is a whole separate topic, and I don't mean to offend you, but...

Going into debt for a wedding is stupid as fuck.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

None taken, and we kept our wedding super small (less than 20 guests in my parents' backyard), but any service that has "wedding" attached to it is at least 2-3x more expensive. That expense also includes the engagement ring and a few other items.

I was also going to just spend out of my savings, but had this 0% introductory card already so figured I'd throw it on that as it's free money. I have the cash to pay it off but at 0% I don't have an incentive to (going to pay off the car instead).

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
my thoughts when reading over a few post from OP.

1. To keep or sell your car is ultimately your decision but buying an Lux SUV is going to put you right back in the "hole" sort of
2. I wouldn't pay for your girlfriends car payment. Yes you need a car but she owns her car and you get nothing in return. Unless it's your wife, otherwise you are renting a car from her where that money could be used to pay for another car.
3. It's not a get out of jail free card, but, Whatever you do, look into a balance transfer of your cc debt. Many new cards offer free XX month 0APR, so transfer, pay your chunks and you will save.

You mentioned looking into audi sq5, you have a gti now. You're like me and have good taste but good taste is expensive. SQ5 is 50K new, a used nice one is going to be a lot too. Any new SUV is going to be alot of money per month most likely more than you spend now. The ultimate goal is to not have a CC payment or car payment. I have both but my car is close to paid off tgod.

You also mentioned your going to be getting paid 19k more or something. Thats a lot of money more per month. Essentially around 600$ per check or 1150 ish each month.

Summary: If the price is right then sell. Buying another lux suv is going to be MORE expensive. If you want a clean plate now then fine. But you really need to learn to save and spend properly. More money does not mean more spending! With the extra 1k a month promo you should be able to either pay off your cc, live comfortably. Learn better finances, its hard lol. Good luck

1. Yeah no I doubt I’ll actually buy an SUV yet. Though as I’ve thought more and more about this I might even pay off all my credit card + all my student loans before buying another car. If I did that - I could afford a $6-700/mo car payment and still have more breathing room that I currently do. Because I wouldn’t be paying $300/mo in credit cards and $200/mo in student loans. My current payment is 420.53 so I could afford a $700/mo payment and still have $220/mo back in my pocket.

2. My gf and I are in a happy, healthy relationship and it is a goal, and genuine desire to stay with her for life. I am also the reason she is driving the car she is. She got it with me present, and due to my influence in the purchasing process. And if we’re splitting a car, why would SHE allow me to make a move like this which will inconvenience her if she’s not getting anything out of it? In fact her main qualms with this is, even though she’s saving $180/mo, that’s ALL she gets form this. And an inconvenience of not always having her own car to use. I’m the one who profits insanely off this. So it would be extremely unfair, and downright malicious/manipulative to take advantage of her like that, not splitting her payments.

3. See above posts, I’ve been doing this for years. This is my 3rd or 4th 0% interest card and I keep an excel sheet with current balances, monthly payments, and expiration dates of intro offers. Also include things like Tax retune/bonus in March to make plans on how I will allocate that to eliminate the highest interest, lowest principle debt source.

I mentioned a Q5 TDI - not an SQ5. It has the VW GTD 2.0TDI w/ 184HP/280TQ, mated to legit Quattro system which is incredible.

And yes - my raise has a lot to do with my desire for an SUV. Once the debt is gone - I can afford an expensive SUV and still have more money to save for a house than my current situation with debt and an Alltrack that is barely big enough for me my gf and the dogs.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

agreed - super glad my gf told me early on that, if we ever get married, she wants to do it small and not take on any debt or spend any more than absolutely necessary. Weddings are so stupid. They’re all the same, and they’re all too much money.