GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Garrett Turbos for MQB

JettiGLI

Go Kart Newbie
Just recently saw on social media and some stores that a V1 and V2 Garrett Turbos are being advertised for 450/480bhp and 550/600bhp, plug and play.
Would be cool to see what EQT, IE and Unitronic have to offer since they have been advertising it's release!

Hoon

Autocross Champion
First dyno test of the big one shows it's a wet noodle. Doesn't make over 30psi without excessive shaft speed. I don't like to judge spool on a dyno but that looked like shit too.

I'll reserve final judgement until there are more results but this thing looks like a major fail. People will buy it because of the Garrett name, even though their warranty is no longer worth a damn.

BlackT5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
First dyno test of the big one shows it's a wet noodle. Doesn't make over 30psi without excessive shaft speed. I don't like to judge spool on a dyno but that looked like shit too.

I'll reserve final judgement until there are more results but this thing looks like a major fail. People will buy it because of the Garrett name, even though their warranty is no longer worth a damn.
Got any links to the Dyno tests? I'd like to see.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
The stage 1 turbo will do no better than an is38+. You’re still better off going vortex std if you want 420whp on pump

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Here is a video from Fullboost on that car
Very nice video! Also… just watching that ones results…xl mops it up. Granted that thing was maxed at 30psi based or the manufacturers disclaimer and we’ve seen xls in the wild at 33+ for a while now so we know that’s safe for them. I wonder what an xl makes on 30 psi with max timing and full E?

You can hear the turbo doing the spool up/flutter thing at like 4800-5000 and it looks like it don’t hit that “29/30” mark till 4800 rpms.

Last edited:

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI

For the majority of turbos that aren't Garrett or Borg Warner and don't have a compressor map and speed sensor, how would someobdy know when they're operating at excessive shaft speed?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Exactly, we are all happily spinning the hell out of is38s and vortexes and likely a ways beyond where it's efficient. I'm totally fine with that.

Be curious to see where the g25 taps out. Curious what wastegate duty was for this sort of power.

JettiGLI

Go Kart Newbie
Exactly, we are all happily spinning the hell out of is38s and vortexes and likely a ways beyond where it's efficient. I'm totally fine with that.

Be curious to see where the g25 taps out. Curious what wastegate duty was for this sort of power.
Good questions!