GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTI issues *RESOLVED*

sheldon902

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
Purchased my first GTI used 11 months ago and it's been a mild headache ever since. i bought it with 38, 000km on it. It was in a supposedly minor accident (hit rear center while parked). I was told it was fixed(it looked fine to me).

first issue: water in spare tire area. turned out that the old vents were put back in after the accident when they did the repairs. also, the trunk seal had some gaps in it. got that all repaired and its fine now.

second issue: thermostat/coolant bypass valve needed replacing after only blowing cold air in the winter. covered under warranty but, was TD1 flagged because the previous owner had it tuned. i did not know this.

third issue: evap system failed and it's currently being repaired.

Fourth Issue: the rollover valve failed and they have to replace the fuel tank.

so, ive been debating just sucking it up and keeping the car but, part of me wants no part of it anymore even though i do love it.

decisions, decisions..sorry for the random rant.

Last edited:

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Guess you learned your lesson. Never buy a car that has been in an accident unless you are willing to take on potential problems. As for TD1 flag, that doesn't make much since as why they are covering the repair under warranty if its flagged? thought they always denied it if its flagged? Maybe getting lucky? I haven't had any of those issues you have listed. Keep it until warranty is up, if you keep having problems until than, when the warranty is about up get rid of it.

sheldon902

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
Guess you learned your lesson. Never buy a car that has been in an accident unless you are willing to take on potential problems. As for TD1 flag, that doesn't make much since as why they are covering the repair under warranty if its flagged? thought they always denied it if its flagged? Maybe getting lucky? I haven't had any of those issues you have listed. Keep it until warranty is up, if you keep having problems until than, when the warranty is about up get rid of it.
I should have clarified, it was flagged when they repaired the thermostat/coolant issue. They finished the work before sending off to VW, i guess. When they get a hold of me about the current issue, I think I'll talk to them about trading in on something else. I'd love to get a newer GTI..no accidents obviously heh

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The TD1 only affects the powertrain warranty.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
5 years power train....TD1 shouldn't affect wtty for tstat but very well may.

vents are just poor repair
2nd item isn't common but not rare
3rd sounds rare.

really only the 2nd two are the cars fault. Not great but not bad.

Last edited:

arex876

Car(s)
GTI
Purchased my first GTI used 11 months ago and it's been a mild headache ever since. i bought it with 38, 000km on it. It was in a supposedly minor accident (hit rear center while parked). I was told it was fixed(it looked fine to me).

first issue: water in spare tire area. turned out that the old vents were put back in after the accident when they did the repairs. also, the trunk seal had some gaps in it. got that all repaired and its fine now.

second issue: thermostat/coolant bypass valve needed replacing after only blowing cold air in the winter. covered under warranty but, was TD1 flagged because the previous owner had it tuned. i did not know this.

third issue: evap system failed and it's currently being repaired.

so, ive been debating just sucking it up and keeping the car but, part of me wants no part of it anymore even though i do love it.

decisions, decisions..sorry for the random rant.
My 2017 GTI just received the same problem with the EVAP and my warranty just expired. They are suggesting to replace the n80 valve, canister and the gas tank. Sounds like more and more people are having the same problem? Found a few guys having the same issue on youtube! I wonder if we can make a case for this...

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
My 2017 GTI just received the same problem with the EVAP and my warranty just expired. They are suggesting to replace the n80 valve, canister and the gas tank. Sounds like more and more people are having the same problem? Found a few guys having the same issue on youtube! I wonder if we can make a case for this...

I had this part replaced under a recall. Luckily I just went in before any issues occurred and had it replace within 2 hours. Think this happened about 2 weeks after I bought the car and got the recall soon after.

sheldon902

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
I'm still waiting for this repair. With everything being slowed down by covid, the parts won't be in until mid-late next week. I miss my car. Haven't driven it in a week :(

Mr.BearCop

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 SE GTI
It is easy to fall in love with these GTI's even with slight issues. I was getting a Helix sound system at a popular VW dealership who does a ton of these installations and the Service Manager goes " was your car in an accident ? You have overspray on rear left " I was over the moon. Got depressed, angry all that. Felt like I fell out of love a little, or so I thought .....I took my car back to the VW dealership where I bought my car. They copped up to it that the previous owner did something either backed into something or possible light fender bender, no structural damage was found , car is a CPO cert and clean carfax. Well I had the feeling I did not want the car any more and tried to have the dealership take the car back and get into a newer GTI. There was one problem, I already fell hard for MY GTI, not to mention I would be paying 7k more for a new 2021 plus tax and license. The Used Car manager asked me " well do you like your car" I said " I love it" then he said " sounds like you made a friend ". They are going to fix the overspray on my next maintenance visit. So far I have added Helix, Tint 15% all around with blue air 80 front windshield, and Stage 1 APR High Torque 91 with TCU DSG Tune.... Just ...for me I have made the car my own ..and can not see myself in any other car ...plus this was the only year you could get Cloth Clark seats!

Attachments

• PXL_20210710_201706341.jpg
    PXL_20210710_201706341.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20210731_200656645~3.jpg
    PXL_20210731_200656645~3.jpg
    894.5 KB · Views: 64

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Thermostat failure was coming, go ahead and plan on having the water pump replaced as well because that shit is going to fail in the next 10,000 miles. Who cares about the TD1? Powertrain warranty is gone, time for you to go crazy with mods.

Do you really want to buy a new GTI and leave it stock for 5 years so you can have a warranty that 1% of people use?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I had an evap error code on my 2016. I tried replacing the gas cap and it still came back. The N80 was replaced and the error didn't come back. It could have been the hose but wasn't. The car was stage 1. They didn't have an easy way to detect tunes back then if you reverted to a stock type tune IIRC. If you left the tune activated, then of course you'll be found out.

Mr.BearCop

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 SE GTI
Thermostat failure was coming, go ahead and plan on having the water pump replaced as well because that shit is going to fail in the next 10,000 miles. Who cares about the TD1? Powertrain warranty is gone, time for you to go crazy with mods.

Do you really want to buy a new GTI and leave it stock for 5 years so you can have a warranty that 1% of people use?
+ This! - exactly what I wrestled with. If I got a new GTI I wouldn't have gotten a tune and if I waited for the warranty to run out it would be 4 years without fun.

Mr.BearCop

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 SE GTI
I should have clarified, it was flagged when they repaired the thermostat/coolant issue. They finished the work before sending off to VW, i guess. When they get a hold of me about the current issue, I think I'll talk to them about trading in on something else. I'd love to get a newer GTI..no accidents obviously heh
So what are you going to do ?

sheldon902

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
So what are you going to do ?
Car is still in the shop. Hopefully I will get it today. It's been there for two weeks waiting for parts. I've been thinking about either trading up for a newer GTI or exploring the idea of getting something else. Current;y, the cars I'd consider based on budget and enjoyment are:

1: Audi A3
2. BMW 3 series...either 330i or 340i
3. Mercedes AClass