GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Yes, you can use the AP to log data, but that's not why you are getting it - you are getting it to tune your car so you can go faster quicker - while the snapshot is to really to get you to slow down and turn your GTI into a Yugo.
worth reading 2x
They couldn't pay me to use that.
If someone pulls out in front of you and you have to emergency brake it will raise your premium while you avoided an accident.
I wonder about this. I was taught growing up in NH to do a test to see how slippery a road is by a quick jab of the brakes (mostly to tell for ice/how slick the road is). I see this as triggering the bad driver box when I'm really being aware.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
New bridgestone potenza sports? Yay or nay? Tirerack doesn't have any reviews on them yet. My tires still have a little bit of life left, but not much. There's a $70 rebate on these right now too, so I've been thinking of trying them out.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Has anyone used Hella OEM replica aftermarket lights? A new OEM HID headlight for my car is like $1,300, but the Hella is ~$500.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
So I have this metallic clunking noise coming from the front, started and the drivers side and now its both sides, after lowering with eibach springs. I used all new hardware and strut mounts, and followed torque specs to a T on everything except the strut nuts because I did not have a crows foot or strut nut socket at the time (i do now, checked those and they are fine)

I believe the culprit is the sway bar bushings but i havent taken the car apart to check yet. I've been looking online to see how to change them and from what i can tell, you cant change just the bushing? is this right? I really dont know what else the noise would be. I'll try and get a video of it this evening

CiDirkona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK3 TT, MK1 Atlas SE
sway bar bushings but i havent taken the car apart to check yet. I've been looking online to see how to change them and from what i can tell, you cant change just the bushing? is this right?

Depends on which part you're asking about --- Swaybar endlink bushings are built into the endlink and you need to swap the whole part. The swaybar rotational bushings on top of the subframe are replaceable. I've never had to replace those, and I've done coilovers and bags on 6s and 7s (and a volvo 850R :D .)

Do you notice the clunk at certain parts of the suspension travel? Steering wheel turned? One side up but the other side down (driveways,) or over light bumps?

Any witness marks on the sway bars or axles? Axles could hit the bottom of the frame if you go REALLY low (coilovers, bags,) especially on the right side due to the longer axle. The bottom of the sway bar can sometimes hit the top of the control arm if you're going super low and didn't get shorter end links.

A could other places to check would be that the strut nut is tight (but it sounds like you got to that,) that the 3 hat-to-strut tower nuts are tight, and that the spring hat thingy is aligned in the notch of the bearing correctly (there's a notch, and it could rock back and forth or probably throw your castor off if not in the notch correctly.)

Any tire dust on the fender lips? Tire/fender impact usually makes a 'vip' noise versus a metal clunk, but worth checking.

NadimAmk7.5

Car(s)
Golf
So golfmk6 had a "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread", can we start one up here? (unless there is one and i just missed it)

The goal of this thread is to allow people to ask random questions (related to mk7 stuff) and to ask "stupid" questions without getting flammed (such as "this is my first GTI, does it have a turbo?").

It's a great place for teh n00bz, experienced folks and enthusiasts.

The mk6 one was pretty good because we had a few people that were always active in the thread and very helpful. I think this thread would be valuable once it gets up and running. It'll help de-clutter other subforums too.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S7 Edge.
So I bought a after market digital dash for my 2017 7.5 golf comfort line. I bought it from Ali baba and I’m having issue with it with the ACC everything else is working perfectly accept that, I disconnect it and noticed this wire and I don’t know where to connect anyone know where I connect it to? I think it will work when I connect it. I connected to a OBDeleven tool and the error said that some wire is loose or damaged and I think it’s talking about that one

Attachments

• 456581DD-166F-475F-B647-46ACCAA842BF.jpeg
    456581DD-166F-475F-B647-46ACCAA842BF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
  • 3EFEE381-2908-470C-9AFD-B9964E94C954.jpeg
    3EFEE381-2908-470C-9AFD-B9964E94C954.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
  • 583F7A29-6B31-4D4A-A7F4-471118B7DE51.jpeg
    583F7A29-6B31-4D4A-A7F4-471118B7DE51.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • 2A2617FA-9FAD-4AB1-BD80-4830C63253E9.jpeg
    2A2617FA-9FAD-4AB1-BD80-4830C63253E9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
  • 552B8D23-44C3-4017-8C1C-BD23BD8E623F.png
    552B8D23-44C3-4017-8C1C-BD23BD8E623F.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 49
  • C4B53635-BE25-43D5-98EA-BAFD518AA918.png
    C4B53635-BE25-43D5-98EA-BAFD518AA918.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • C29D60D1-1027-4876-97DB-B42166020774.png
    C29D60D1-1027-4876-97DB-B42166020774.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 51

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Depends on which part you're asking about --- Swaybar endlink bushings are built into the endlink and you need to swap the whole part. The swaybar rotational bushings on top of the subframe are replaceable. I've never had to replace those, and I've done coilovers and bags on 6s and 7s (and a volvo 850R :D .)

Do you notice the clunk at certain parts of the suspension travel? Steering wheel turned? One side up but the other side down (driveways,) or over light bumps?

Any witness marks on the sway bars or axles? Axles could hit the bottom of the frame if you go REALLY low (coilovers, bags,) especially on the right side due to the longer axle. The bottom of the sway bar can sometimes hit the top of the control arm if you're going super low and didn't get shorter end links.

A could other places to check would be that the strut nut is tight (but it sounds like you got to that,) that the 3 hat-to-strut tower nuts are tight, and that the spring hat thingy is aligned in the notch of the bearing correctly (there's a notch, and it could rock back and forth or probably throw your castor off if not in the notch correctly.)

Any tire dust on the fender lips? Tire/fender impact usually makes a 'vip' noise versus a metal clunk, but worth checking.
Thanks for the reply. Havent had the car apart yet to look for witness marks. It happens over bumps at speed, so im thinking sway bar. I did not get shorter end links

Agray

Go Kart Champion
I'm having a new turbo installed on my MK7 GTI and I'd like to ask the shop to do a few "while you're in there" jobs that in my research, take little to no extra time/ effort to do "while you're in there" and so I'm expecting to not have to have to pay additional labor since these tasks overlap the turbo install. Am I being reasonable?

In addition to the turbo, I'm bringing a new TIP, TMD, and a billet coolant flange to replace the plastic one that's located under the turbo heat shield.

On top of that, would it be reasonable to expect to pay one additional hour of labor to install a full discharge pipe (hot side) kit?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I'm having a new turbo installed on my MK7 GTI and I'd like to ask the shop to do a few "while you're in there" jobs that in my research, take little to no extra time/ effort to do "while you're in there" and so I'm expecting to not have to have to pay additional labor since these tasks overlap the turbo install. Am I being reasonable?

In addition to the turbo, I'm bringing a new TIP, TMD, and a billet coolant flange to replace the plastic one that's located under the turbo heat shield.

On top of that, would it be reasonable to expect to pay one additional hour of labor to install a full discharge pipe (hot side) kit?
In reality that would add 15 -20 min to the projects