GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
@APEXWheels any word on the winter wheels? After running the SM10s in some nasty wet and dirty conditions, I think the plan of no spoke side groove machining makes a lot of sense to keep snow from packing in there too.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
@APEXWheels any word on the winter wheels? After running the SM10s in some nasty wet and dirty conditions, I think the plan of no spoke side groove machining makes a lot of sense to keep snow from packing in there too.
At this time, we are not planning on pursuing a "winter-specific" SM-10 without the spoke scalloping and knurled beading. The cost difference wouldn't be all that much compared to the current design and it would be a difficult wheel to sell at any other time throughout the year. We will likely be offering the standard 17x8.5" ET43 VW SM-10 at a discount this year for those who are looking for a winter wheel/tire package. We are not 100% sure on if that will be a Group Buy or a more traditional retail sale but I should have some more concrete information going into September.

On a side note, for those of you who are still waiting for your 17x8.5" ET43 Bronze SM-10s, I have some good news! The containers with those wheels are being offloaded at our warehouse throughout next week, so the remaining Group Buy orders will be shipping out soon. If anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to send us an email or a PM here.

-Geirsen

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
some winter 17's would be legit. then I'll need another set for summers. Holding out for a split 5 spoke for summer though.

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
nice! size of tires?

235/45/18 Michelin PS 4S.

I could have gone more aggressive but didn't want to a big hit on fuel mileage or cost. I don't drive as aggressively as I used to when I was younger/dumber so figured the stickier tire would be good enough. I used to get 35 MPG easy but now around 31 on highway. Trade offs, but well worth it and I have the stockers still if I get anal enough that I care about it.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
235/45/18 Michelin PS 4S.

I could have gone more aggressive but didn't want to a big hit on fuel mileage or cost. I don't drive as aggressively as I used to when I was younger/dumber so figured the stickier tire would be good enough. I used to get 35 MPG easy but now around 31 on highway. Trade offs, but well worth it and I have the stockers still if I get anal enough that I care about it.
I've got the same size Michelin AS4 on my 17x8.5 Apex rims. My first highway trip (120 miles +/- of freeway ea. way) with cruise set on 72-74, I got just under 35mpg. That tank I averaged just under 34mpg. I have found that using non-alcohol premium gas, I get a very noticeable bump in gas mileage. That stuff isn't available everywhere tho...

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I've got the same size Michelin AS4 on my 17x8.5 Apex rims. My first highway trip (120 miles +/- of freeway ea. way) with cruise set on 72-74, I got just under 35mpg. That tank I averaged just under 34mpg. I have found that using non-alcohol premium gas, I get a very noticeable bump in gas mileage. That stuff isn't available everywhere tho...

This is expected from non-ethanol gas.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
n00b question - do i need to remove the APEX wheels to pop the VW caps on?
If the Apex caps are currently in there, yes. In theory you could use a pick to pull them out, but you'd risk damaging both the wheels and the stock cap, so I wouldn't recommend it.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
n00b question - do i need to remove the APEX wheels to pop the VW caps on?
yep. Easiest way it to take a screwdriver, and using the PLASTIC PORTION OF THE HANDLE, NOT THE TIP, just give em a light :boop: on the back of the center cap and they should pop right out.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Do you have a torque setting for one boop?
That's the thing, it's just a boop, no twist required. If I had to quantify the appropriate amount of boop, I'd say obnoxious younger sibling. Yea, use the same quantity of boop you'd use on a younger sibling to encourage them to exit your room or vicinity. If it doesn't work, add approximately 15% more boop and reapply.