GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

tmaslove

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
According to the close caption, the snap checks for when you slam on your brakes. I typically speed but only hwy. My city traffic is too much to hit it all the time. I’m already stage 2 Unitronic but without the snap. I plan to go AP eqt but I’ll probably wait until I’m done with the snap

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
According to the close caption, the snap checks for when you slam on your brakes. I typically speed but only hwy. My city traffic is too much to hit it all the time. I’m already stage 2 Unitronic but without the snap. I plan to go AP eqt but I’ll probably wait until I’m done with the snap
Hard braking events and driving really late at night (2am-5am ish) are what they really care about. Highest predictors of accidents.

cb1111

I haven't tested it out in person yet but apparently those two torx screws on the right side of the assembly turn in and out to adjust the depth of the lens against the body. So in my case I just need to turn them whatever direction represents "out" until the light is flush with the inner hatch light (theoretically.)
But then it'll no longer be flush with the body - as it is now.

You might want to go look at another car that hasn't had any tail light work and see how that fits.

cb1111

cb1111

Now im more in conflict. Should I cancel the snap or suck it up and drive “slow & low” for 6months
Hard to say - it is unlikely that you'll save money and you give them lots of data that they can use (against you) for future rate adjustments.

On the positive side, the beeping will make you a smoother driver - if for no other reason but to shut up the beeping.

You really need to ask yourself what your priorities are because these two devices are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Yes, you can use the AP to log data, but that's not why you are getting it - you are getting it to tune your car so you can go faster quicker - while the snapshot is to really to get you to slow down and turn your GTI into a Yugo.

tmaslove

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
They couldn't pay me to use that.
If someone pulls out in front of you and you have to emergency brake it will raise your premium while you avoided an accident.
I don’t have emergency brake and it’s part of an option you have to already save with that feature on your car. Plus if you have blind spot assist or whatever it’s called.

I thought I could get away by saving for a little while by driving like a grandma but the more articles I read, the less data I wanna share. I just opted out. It increased my total by +$187 but no biggie. If I didn’t have the money then I’d worry.

Appreciate everyone who chimed in. Really helped

cb1111

They couldn't pay me to use that.
If someone pulls out in front of you and you have to emergency brake it will raise your premium while you avoided an accident.
In 2016, they put something similar (along with an inward and outward facing dashcam) into our staff cars. That beep drove everybody nuts and they weren't in for a month before they got yanked out.

Turns out one of the senior executives got driven to a meeting and said "what the hell is that noise?"

Next thing we know they were all pulled out.

cb1111

I don’t have emergency brake and it’s part of an option you have to already save with that feature on your car. Plus if you have blind spot assist or whatever it’s called.

I thought I could get away by saving for a little while by driving like a grandma but the more articles I read, the less data I wanna share. I just opted out. It increased my total by +$187 but no biggie. If I didn’t have the money then I’d worry.

Appreciate everyone who chimed in. Really helped
You misunderstood Jim. He said if somebody pulls out in front of you and you have to (emergency) brake. He wasn't referring to the system that automatically brakes for you when it detects a hazard.

One problem with these systems is that they do not consider the difference between braking and slowing down when going up a hill. You can scrub off a fair amount of speed quickly if the hill is steep enough

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You misunderstood Jim. He said if somebody pulls out in front of you and you have to (emergency) brake. He wasn't referring to the system that automatically brakes for you when it detects a hazard.

One problem with these systems is that they do not consider the difference between braking and slowing down when going up a hill. You can scrub off a fair amount of speed quickly if the hill is steep enough
I wasn't referring to automatic collision braking. Just cramming on your brakes to avoid an accident.

tmaslove

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S

Yeah I read the link you posted and it cleared a lot of questions up. Miami is mostly flat. FL in general is flat so I wouldn’t have issues but none the less the discount doesn’t do it’s justice for the amount of information I’d be sharing + I have 2 cars under my name and 1 is basically my younger brothers so if we were both driving and I’m the only insured, it’d probably sky raise my rates

cb1111

Yeah I read the link you posted and it cleared a lot of questions up. Miami is mostly flat. FL in general is flat so I wouldn’t have issues but none the less the discount doesn’t do it’s justice for the amount of information I’d be sharing + I have 2 cars under my name and 1 is basically my younger brothers so if we were both driving and I’m the only insured, it’d probably sky raise my rates
I hope the insurance company knows about your brother. If not, and he is an accident, then you could be in some serious trouble