GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Digital Cockpit retrofit

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I was always curious why people were going with the 791, the NAR Golf R has the 891 🤷🏿‍♂️. I had not heard that it was in ECU compatibility issue. That's interesting though, hopefully some folks chime in.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Maybe a dumb question, but has anyone ever actually successfully retrofit the 891A NAR AID part into a NAR GTI? Most of the feedback I'm hearing on social media from retrofitters is that that part isn't compatible with the NAR GTI ECU (but somehow the Euro 791B part is?)
I installed 791A into my NAR MK7. don't remember why that's the one I purchased, but it works.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
For anyone following along: chatted with @simaservis1108 last night and it's sounding like the "A" versions (whether 791A for Euro or 891A for NAR) is incompatible with the Mk7.5 (or at least, 2019 and newer 7.5s.) What I need is the "B" version (like many here who have done the 791B Euro part) but it turns out there IS an 891B NAR part as well that I've never seen referenced anywhere and never thought to look for for some reason. Sounds like probably user error in this case, but definitely fair warning to anyone out there considering this retrofit: if you want to use the NA AID, do NOT get 891A -- 891B is what you need.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
So here's a question, and it might be a better one for @simaservis1108, what's the recommendation for a 2015 TDI. I currently run a 791A with an intermittent CEL for Glow Plug Indication. Got it the day after installing the AID.

My car is not KESSY and I can make the CEL clear with a few drives if I'm really deliberate about going from Off-to-On with the key. Doing so seems to extend the time the Glow Plug indicator is lit. And if I do that slow key dance I can go indefinitely without the CEL. That suggests to me there's nothing wrong with the car. But as soon as I forget to do the key thing, or my wife drives and forgets to do it we get that code pending, and forget to do it a couple more times and boom, CEL.

It seems to me that the ECU (or glow plug module, whatever is driving the glow plug indicator in the dash) doesn't consistently recognize that the indicator is working properly.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
For anyone following along: chatted with @simaservis1108 last night and it's sounding like the "A" versions (whether 791A for Euro or 891A for NAR) is incompatible with the Mk7.5 (or at least, 2019 and newer 7.5s.) What I need is the "B" version (like many here who have done the 791B Euro part) but it turns out there IS an 891B NAR part as well that I've never seen referenced anywhere and never thought to look for for some reason. Sounds like probably user error in this case, but definitely fair warning to anyone out there considering this retrofit: if you want to use the NA AID, do NOT get 891A -- 891B is what you need.
That’s weird ass hell? So does the 891A only work with the 2018 Golf Rs?

The local dealer I picked mine up at had only one 891A in stock and that was it. Didn’t know there was a B version.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
That’s weird ass hell? So does the 891A only work with the 2018 Golf Rs?

The local dealer I picked mine up at had only one 891A in stock and that was it. Didn’t know there was a B version.
Same; everywhere I've ever read up on this never once mentioned an 891B, only that 891A is the NA cluster. I'm not sure exactly what model years support the "A" and which require "B" but 2019 is for sure too new for "A". One guy on reddit looks like he has a 7.5 with the "A" version but it could be a 2018, so that's why I thought maybe 2019 and up. 2019 was also the year the engines switched to 502 oil so maybe it's got different ECU software too? Just spitballing but that's what I've been able to figure so far. Hopefully at least others can learn from my mistake :confused:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I had been (and am still) considering replacing my 791A due to the mileage mismatch, dealer didn't set the odometer and I noticed to late to change it. When I was digging around the 791B and 891B were the two parts I kept finding as the latest. I did not consider potential incompatibility though... in hindsight I should have, given what the information out there about the letter/revision being important for other modules.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
I had been (and am still) considering replacing my 791A due to the mileage mismatch, dealer didn't set the odometer and I noticed to late to change it. When I was digging around the 791B and 891B were the two parts I kept finding as the latest. I did not consider potential incompatibility though... in hindsight I should have, given what the information out there about the letter/revision being important for other modules.
Still haven’t found anyone with close enough miles to sell to?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Nope, I ordered the bench kit so I can run the miles up on mine. Didn't "need" anything else from the same seller on AliExpress to bundle with it so I couldn't justify paying for express shipping... who knows when it will show up, haha.

This talk of ECU compatibility almost makes me want to buy an 891A (if I find one) just to see if the euro version is causing my weird CEL. I saw a 791A in an auto scan from a 2018 (iirc) GTD which is why I went for it initially. Plus someone else with a TDI, albeit in Europe somewhere, had gone with the 791A and had it work.

I'm just rambling now, haha, but... The ECU and Engine code (CRUA) are unique to the MK7 Golf TDI here, I think. So there are of course no guarantees. Nuje also fit of the 791A to his Golf TDI and saw the same CEL... Only once though, and he has KESSY so it might be doing a similar thing to my slow key dance 😂.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Nope, I ordered the bench kit so I can run the miles up on mine. Didn't "need" anything else from the same seller on AliExpress to bundle with it so I couldn't justify paying for express shipping... who knows when it will show up, haha.

This talk of ECU compatibility almost makes me want to buy an 891A (if I find one) just to see if the euro version is causing my weird CEL. I saw a 791A in an auto scan from a 2018 (iirc) GTD which is why I went for it initially. Plus someone else with a TDI, albeit in Europe somewhere, had gone with the 791A and had it work.

I'm just rambling now, haha, but... The ECU and Engine code (CRUA) are unique to the MK7 Golf TDI here, I think. So there are of course no guarantees. Nuje also fit of the 791A to his Golf TDI and saw the same CEL... Only once though, and he has KESSY so it might be doing a similar thing to my slow key dance 😂.
Still rather curious you are getting this CEL.
I would think that the the NA version would work properly. But at the same time VW didn't have any diesels that would've been equipped with the AID due to the last diesels being 2015s.

Who fuckin' knows with these things. It'd be so nice if we just had charts with parts and compatibilities straight from VW, but we know damn well that ain't ever going to happen.

And hell I'm even surprised that the AID works with my 2015 to begin with.

twopoyntoh

Car(s)
2021 GTI (MK7.5)
Same; everywhere I've ever read up on this never once mentioned an 891B, only that 891A is the NA cluster. I'm not sure exactly what model years support the "A" and which require "B" but 2019 is for sure too new for "A". One guy on reddit looks like he has a 7.5 with the "A" version but it could be a 2018, so that's why I thought maybe 2019 and up. 2019 was also the year the engines switched to 502 oil so maybe it's got different ECU software too? Just spitballing but that's what I've been able to figure so far. Hopefully at least others can learn from my mistake :confused:
How close is the Tiguan version (5NA920891B)?

It's the only one I can find with 891B (oddly enough though the 5G1 version is mentioned in a few irrelevant documents found by my Google searches as well).

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
How close is the Tiguan version (5NA920891B)?

It's the only one I can find with 891B (oddly enough though the 5G1 version is mentioned in a few irrelevant documents found by my Google searches as well).
The Tiguan version is incompatible with a Golf/GTI/R. 5G1920891B (the NAR version for newer Golfs) can be found online various places (cheapest price I've seen is here). The more commonly available 5G1920791B (Euro version for newer Golfs) also works and unless you really care about the E-F on the fuel gauge or "PARK" instead of a "P" symbol, it'll work just fine. I see you have a 2021 though; be aware that your MIB3 in the glove box does not have a MOST connector on the back of it so there's no way to send map, navigation, or station art info to the digital cluster for your car, as far as I know.

twopoyntoh

Car(s)
2021 GTI (MK7.5)
The Tiguan version is incompatible with a Golf/GTI/R. 5G1920891B (the NAR version for newer Golfs) can be found online various places (cheapest price I've seen is here). The more commonly available 5G1920791B (Euro version for newer Golfs) also works and unless you really care about the E-F on the fuel gauge or "PARK" instead of a "P" symbol, it'll work just fine. I see you have a 2021 though; be aware that your MIB3 in the glove box does not have a MOST connector on the back of it so there's no way to send map, navigation, or station art info to the digital cluster for your car, as far as I know.
I'm shocked I couldn't find it! Thank you so much!

Last I tried the 791B version though, my keys couldn't be adapted (KESSY) according to the dealer and my own attempts. Is the 891 identical to the 791, apart from the fuel/temp/parking indicators?

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
As far as I know, yes. That's strange they couldn't adapt the keys to it; mine had no trouble with the 791B in a 2019 SE (the 891A of course gave the aforementioned pages-long headache about being incompatible with the ECU.)

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
So, I finally want to attempt this retrofit, and was wondering a few things after reading this entire thread:

1. Some people were required to replace their CAN Gateways. Mine is GW MQB Mid P/N 5Q0907530AH. How do I know if it fits?
2. Several P/Ns for the virtual cockpit. How do I know which one I need? The most common one I've seen is P/N 5G1920790B.

Thanks!