GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bear Mountain Runs (Ongoing)

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Pretty cool to run across this article and see this route here:

https://www.insidehook.com/feature/...xyt7TeCtLcNHIChI8HS8tqsKj2xqYCO0FrYU5UIchk4Ro

One of the paragraphs from the article:

Arden Valley Road:

A Five-Mile Racetrack

“From Manhattan’s West side, drive North and connect with the Palisades Parkway, a scenic but boring no-tolerance-for-speeding zone. You have several options for exits: Tiorati Brook Road (exit 16) is usually a nice intro; otherwise, going farther north and taking exit 18 to grab Seven Lakes Drive is equally nice, with long sweepers as you drive back south. Tiorati Lake is wonderful. The view from the top of Bear Mountain is great, with amazing hiking trails (the actual Appalachian Trail goes through here!). Once at Tiorati Circle, take the west exit to Arden Valley Road and the fun begins. You have a five-mile race track, several hairpin turns, sharp angles and variance, a ton of elevation changes. It’s ultimately relaxing, surrounded by dense woods as you carve through, but it’s a tiresome workout by the end, as it keeps you extra sharp at all times. This one has a warning to really watch for bikers/hikers/deer/etc. Come back when it’s not crowded! Trust me, it’s worth it, a real timeless classic.

I’m no longer doing these runs but I know a few that would like to continue…maybe someone can organize these runs.

5E53F810-8C31-4415-9D11-AD355F253722.jpeg

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
Going to hit the Arden Valley/Kanawauke/SLD loop this weekend if anyone wants to cruise. Either sat or sunday, maybe both!

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
I wondered this myself. I'm 30 minutes up from Bear Mountain State Park and would be nice to meet up with others.
WYA? Im in the Town of Newburgh over by Chadwick Lake.

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
So Ive been doing the Arden Valley/Kanawauke loop the past two weekends and am hooked. I will be doing this run every weekend till winter. The bridge at the end of Arden valley where it meets Old rt 17 was closed this past Sunday. Not sure if its open, if not, you have to go in through the Tiorti circle.

This past weekend I took the whole family with me. Not romping too hard but enough to enjoy the road and scenery. Very serene environment out there!

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
So Ive been doing the Arden Valley/Kanawauke loop the past two weekends and am hooked. I will be doing this run every weekend till winter. The bridge at the end of Arden valley where it meets Old rt 17 was closed this past Sunday. Not sure if its open, if not, you have to go in through the Tiorti circle.

This past weekend I took the whole family with me. Not romping too hard but enough to enjoy the road and scenery. Very serene environment out there!
Just tried mapping it out and noticed the closure on Arden Valley Road. It looks like a nice loop but that bridge blocking accessing to 17, how are you getting on Kanawauke Rd? Are you going down AVR and turning back to the circle by the Tiorati Lake rec area to Kanawauke?

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
Just tried mapping it out and noticed the closure on Arden Valley Road. It looks like a nice loop but that bridge blocking accessing to 17, how are you getting on Kanawauke Rd? Are you going down AVR and turning back to the circle by the Tiorati Lake rec area to Kanawauke?
At the end of Arden, I just turn around at the trail head parking and drive it again and take 7 lakes down to Kanawauke. Unfortunately no way to loop it at the moment. The work on the bridge didn't look major, hopefully will be open soon. The entire length of arden is open, just closed at the very end.

2 weeks ago, it was all open able to loop it just noticed the closure this past Sunday. There is a plus here in that there is no "through" traffic.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
At the end of Arden, I just turn around at the trail head parking and drive it again and take 7 lakes down to Kanawauke. Unfortunately no way to loop it at the moment. The work on the bridge didn't look major, hopefully will be open soon. The entire length of arden is open, just closed at the very end.

2 weeks ago, it was all open able to loop it just noticed the closure this past Sunday. There is a plus here in that there is no "through" traffic.
That's what I figured. I'm gonna have to give it a try one of these days. Thanks.

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
Saw a couple folks out last weekend on SLD. Unfortunately, Arden was blocked off and Kanawauke was packed with traffic. Hopefully this weekend will be better and wonder if going earlier or later would be better than mid-day.

Whoever had the black ride with the roofbox, ride looks great and sounded great too! I had to break off as I was about to run out of fuel.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
^
You have to go early, especially in the summer, just watch out for animals.

Past 7am lots of people start showing up and it only takes 1 person going 25 to turn Kanawauke into torture. That's basically every driver going there to hike.

Near or after sundown it opens back up again.

Last edited:

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
^
You have to go early, especially in the summer, just watch out for animals.

Past 7am lots of people start showing up and it only takes 1 person going 25 to turn Kanawauke into torture. That's basically every driver going there to hike.

Near or after sundown it opens back up again.
Yep, we used to have these runs at 9am and it wasn’t fun with all the traffic. When we switched to 7am runs it was much better

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Gonna hit these roads today.

Should be a good time, although I cruised through last night and got stuck behind a car going so slow a dude in a truck pulling a trailer caught up to us half way up Kanawauke 😐

Hopefully the AM traffic is minimal.