GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of purchasing a 2018 Golf R

d0m0kun

Car(s)
Golf R?
Hello All,

I used to be a member of the old golfmkv.com forums back in the days and thinking about getting a 2018 Golf R. Here is the vehicle information

2018 Golf R
Indium Gray Metallic
39,000 Miles
1 Owner Car
Clean CarFax and lemon issues
Some normal wear and tear near the armrest (small rip, but not a deal breaker)

But the thing is, this car is modified and a big fan of 034. My 2008 GTI was heavily modified, so that wasn't a problem, but what are your guy's thoughts about this? Believe it or not, this thing is still on the stock suspension.

034 Intake
034 Downpipe
034 Rear Swaybar
Res Delete
034 Stage II ECU Tune
034 DSG Tune

It is a smaller dealership/mechanic shop and they are asking $37,695. I looked at the KBB and that is more of the top end of the resale value, but wasn't sure about the price yet. I tried to haggle and unfortunately, they are pretty firm. I am wanting to get back into a hatchback again so I seriously thinking about pulling the trigger, but can I have your thoughts?

d0m0kun

Car(s)
Golf R?
Personally, I’d hold onto the a3 until the market normalizes.

Almost 38k for a 3 year old r, seems insane to me. Maybe if it had super low miles (under 15k) it would be somewhat reasonable

Yea, they wouldn't budge on the price so don't think I would be heading that route. Anyone else can chime in?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Wait for the Mk8 R to be out. The market for used R’s is crazy right now because 2020 was the last year and there isn’t an available replacement until later this year when the Mk8 arrives, which will drive down Mk7 prices.

d0m0kun

Car(s)
Golf R?
Wait for the Mk8 R to be out. The market for used R’s is crazy right now because 2020 was the last year and there isn’t an available replacement until later this year when the Mk8 arrives, which will drive down Mk7 prices.

I did get a good trade in deal with my A3, based on the miles and stuff. Besides the miles, the car is in great condition. It is unfortunate because I love driving that Golf R.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Right now? What ever you can get. They’re pretty inflated and an 18 had the 6/72 warranty, so that alone is going to keep the value pretty high. Probably anything under $38k would be a screaming deal if miles are under 60k.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Small dealership, a modified car with lemon law issue on the CARFAX asking top dollar? There's better choices out there. Unless you need a car right now, best to wait until the used car market cools off.

d0m0kun

Car(s)
Golf R?
Hard pass. How did it end up at the place that is selling it?

Initially the previous owner traded it in to the dealership and with the mods it had on the car, especially the ECU and DSG tune, the dealership couldn't sell it to "normal" consumers. But I am pretty much guarantee, they probably flagged it for TD1. I am not sure if VW still does, but Audi definitely still does.