yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Based on the VIN, it was made in Germany for the NAR market.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
My factory fit battery, which just died at 43k (4.5 years since in-service date), is this 59Ah/320A, H5 size, EFB type: https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__/Vehicle-Battery/75737446/1S0915105A.html

Which is in the list of batteries fitted to vehicles with eco stop start:-

For cars WITH "Start/Stop” eco engine shut off (BlueMotion II):-
59Ah/320A (DIN), H5 size, EFB type
69Ah/360A (DIN), H6 size, EFB type
68Ah/380A (DIN), H6 size, AGM type

Based on the VIN, it was made in Germany for the NAR market.

As I said.....just it looks odd that an EFB was fitted & not a wet type when that is an option.....maybe the German factory only fits EFB or AGM batteries as that's the bigger fitment requirement due to eco stop start being on most of cars that leave that factory.....wet type for factories in places that don't spec eco stop start like Mexico...

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
odd that an EFB was fitted & not a wet type when that is an option.....maybe the German factory only fits EFB or AGM batteries as that's the bigger fitment requirement due to eco stop start being on most of cars that leave that factory
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I just called my local dealer which has a parts/service special for a "VW economy battery" (JZW-915-105-DSP or JZW-915-105-A-DSP) for $139 installed, but they said their system doesn't show it as a match for my car. Whatever the system shows as a match is not in stock, and I need a battery today.

Is it safe to say that my lack of Eco Start Stop means that I can get away with downgrading to a wet type without any problems? If so, I'm either going to argue for whatever they do have (I'll install it myself and re-code if for some reason they won't) which is hopefully H5, or go with the H6 Walmart/Costco options and do the ebay heat shield next week.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I just called my local dealer which has a parts/service special for a "VW economy battery" (JZW-915-105-DSP or JZW-915-105-A-DSP) for $139 installed, but they said their system doesn't show it as a match for my car. Whatever the system shows as a match is not in stock, and I need a battery today.

Is it safe to say that my lack of Eco Start Stop means that I can get away with downgrading to a wet type without any problems? If so, I'm either going to argue for whatever they do have (I'll install it myself and re-code if for some reason they won't) which is hopefully H5, or go with the H6 Walmart/Costco options and do the ebay heat shield next week.

The list of batteries for cars with & without eco stop start is from VW's own info on the MK7 Golf..& that lists wet types as a possible fitment for MK7/7.5 Golfs without eco stop start...as I stated...

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Perfect, thanks. Finally found a Costco with H5 in stock (60Ah wet) so it looks like I'm all set: avoiding the stealership, avoiding the unnecessary EFB, avoiding a heat shield replacement. Woot!

division12

Hi gofdave..thanks for this informative post..however, what if the new battery doesn't say the exact AH (Amp Hours)? How do you code it in VCDS?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi gofdave..thanks for this informative post..however, what if the new battery doesn't say the exact AH (Amp Hours)? How do you code it in VCDS?
It should say it on the case..if not then check the manufacturers website..

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks Golfdave for the write up on this. I put in this huge H6 AGM Duracell 760cca/70a today, on vcds recoded to 70ah, fleece, and added a digit to the serial. I kept the old cover on (one inch gap on ecu side) and also added the larger411h cover so it has double insulation. I like a challenge ha.

I had to really work to make this fit with the APR open intake and I even have a positive wire going to the trunk for amplifier.

Here’s a picture to show the tight fit.

Attachments

• E85847A8-1E32-480B-85A7-084B0AF7B52C.jpeg
    E85847A8-1E32-480B-85A7-084B0AF7B52C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 242

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
You need to shop it. After market they are under $20 shipped, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Co...it-for-VW-Golf-Touran-Tiguan-Eos/114207227966. OEM is 27.26 EUR from e-acca. I got mine there a few years ago and I remembered it being less than that. I purchased with a bunch of other stuff I needed to supplement shipping.
Entering the check the ebay "check if vehicle fits" tool, inputting info: 2017 alltrack S 1.8t

it says "no"...hmmm...

I like the idea of the metal foil in addition.
Any sources anyone has used in the US, lately?

Last edited:

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Updating my research, finally getting ready to do this:

1. Ordered OBD11pro from shopDAP, $100

2. Paid for a month of Consumer Reports $10; which lists several,

#1 is the:

Odyssey 48-720
available at Amazon and Walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Odyssey-...did=&affiliates_ad_id=568844&campaign_id=9383

Which appears to be the same as this one on Odyssey website:

https://www.odysseybattery.com/batt...Engine=1.8+Liters+110+CID+L4&Variation=PR-J1D

Any thoughts?
Anyone have this battery installed?
I recall researching AGMs a few years ago shortly after Optima was bought out, and also learned Odyssey was making the Platinums for Sears-
So I got one at Sears to match another a year older as "dual batt" install in a tent trailer- off grid use,

and those Odyssey made Sears have lasted a long time since then after lots of use discharging down to 50% but getting harder/longer to recharge now, less capacity over time.

#2 on the list is...a bit more spendy...
well, read CR for more.

Amazon recent reviews on that are "mixed".

Note:

The Duracell Platinum AGMs referenced by others are also on the CR list and available at Autozone.

Last edited:

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Thanks Golfdave for the write up on this. I put in this huge H6 AGM Duracell 760cca/70a today, on vcds recoded to 70ah, fleece, and added a digit to the serial. I kept the old cover on (one inch gap on ecu side) and also added the larger411h cover so it has double insulation. I like a challenge ha.
I had to really work to make this fit with the APR open intake and I even have a positive wire going to the trunk for amplifier.

Nice work!
Where did you get the "411h" cover, please?

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT

Rowdy, where did you get the "411 cover", please?
golfdave, where in the US do you suppose I could get the silver reflective fabric you mentioned?

I'd like to insulate this new AGM as well as possible at same time as install.

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
Hi I got my battery cover from the local VW dealer. I ordered it online and got a decent discount and picked it up so no shipping costs. It wasn’t cheap, I think about $70

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Rowdy, where did you get the "411 cover", please?
golfdave, where in the US do you suppose I could get the silver reflective fabric you mentioned?

I'd like to insulate this new AGM as well as possible at same time as install.

I have no idea on the 411H cover for USA except dealers parts dept or scrap yards.

As for the Zircoflex & other similar material, I would suggest any "motorsports" stores & places that do DIY stuff for car engines as its what's used for heat shields in cars, & where I got my stuff in the UK.