GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking doors? Mystery solved

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Update.
Sailkote and Krytox seem to work on my well kept/cleaned car lasts about 2 month,s
Has lasted numerous years for me. Longevity could be related to many factors. I do need to reapply on the rear doors soon. Very slight creaking has come back. Which I only really notice when going up/down/around parkade ramps. No biggie.

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
Any alternative to Sailkote, it's not sold where I live, and I can't order it online because it comes in an aerosol can.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Any alternative to Sailkote, it's not sold where I live, and I can't order it online because it comes in an aerosol can.
I picked up a 3m brand dry lubricant on Amazon, and have gotten excellent results.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I picked up a 3m brand dry lubricant on Amazon, and have gotten excellent results.
Is it also a spray though? I have had to treat the rear door top felt areas with Sailkote again (years after the first treatment). The product is a bit challenging to work with for this type of application.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Is it also a spray though? I have had to treat the rear door top felt areas with Sailkote again (years after the first treatment). The product is a bit challenging to work with for this type of application.
Yes, it's a spray.
Just looked at the can, I was incorrect - it's not 3M, it's Dupont.

Dupont Non-Stick Dry Film Lubricant with Teflon is what the can says.

Dry, clean, non-oily coating.
Repels Grit & Grime.
Reduces sliding friction.
Bonds to surface.
(is what the rest of the can reads)

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
So it's summer time again and the creaking noise is back.

Unfortunately i couldn't find any dry lube spray locally even the WD40 brand.

I can order Krytox that's fine.

Will one these work as an alternative to SailKote

Muc Off Dry Lube (50-ml) https://a.co/d/aitjE7j

DuPont Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant Drip Bottle, 4 oz https://a.co/d/6tCLPUW

Finish Line Dry Bike Lubricant with Teflon Squeeze Bottle, 8 oz. https://a.co/d/7tLcGOF

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
My door creaking turned out to be the need to tighten this M10 triple square door stop bolt...

A little thread lock will keep it snug. I've never lubricated or treated my door seals in five years and 160,000+ miles. Tightening this bolt solved everything. YMMV.

Good Luck!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
So it's summer time again and the creaking noise is back.

Unfortunately i couldn't find any dry lube spray locally even the WD40 brand.

I can order Krytox that's fine.

Will one these work as an alternative to SailKote

Muc Off Dry Lube (50-ml) https://a.co/d/aitjE7j

DuPont Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant Drip Bottle, 4 oz https://a.co/d/6tCLPUW

Finish Line Dry Bike Lubricant with Teflon Squeeze Bottle, 8 oz. https://a.co/d/7tLcGOF
I would imagine they'd work - I use that Finish Line on my bicycle.

golfie1225

Car(s)
2019 Golf SE
Hey all. I have the same windows issue described throughout this thread (goes away when the window is rolled down even a tiny bit) so I was excited to finally try the solution detailed here. I opted for WD-40 Dry Lube (didn't want to wait to source some SailKote) and sprayed it on the felt portions of my doors (purple line in the attached photo). Unfortunately it had no effect, maybe even made things worse. Then I got desperate and put a bit of it up into the top crease (green arrow in the photo) which also contains some felt. Also no improvement.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I try the Krytox lube in the seals too? I chose to only do the dry lube on the felt because others said that's all they needed to fix the issue.

This issue is deeply frustrating and the dealer was no help either. I've loved all my previous Volkswagens but I genuinely hate this Golf because the rattling makes it sound like a piece of junk...

Attachments

• IMG_2306 2.jpg
    IMG_2306 2.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 22

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Did you clean the contact areas very, very well first? Did you buff out any residual fluid?

From what I've experienced a lot of the noise issues are from dirt and grime getting into the contact areas and getting a bit "gunky" to where things stick/unstick and make the creaking/popping noises.

golfie1225

Car(s)
2019 Golf SE
Did you clean the contact areas very, very well first? Did you buff out any residual fluid?

From what I've experienced a lot of the noise issues are from dirt and grime getting into the contact areas and getting a bit "gunky" to where things stick/unstick and make the creaking/popping noises.
I did try to clean first, but because there wasn’t really obvious dirt/grime, I wasn’t sure how much cleaning I needed to do or where. Where exactly do I need to be cleaning? Just soap and water?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
And the dry lube dries pretty quickly so I didn’t need to do much buffing or drying in that regard.
I use blue dawn dish soap and wet a white cotton cloth. Don't use microfiber or it will leave behind a bunch of fluff. I then wipe down all the rubber and felt areas so they're fairly wet and then buff them dry gently. Usually the cloth turns pretty black, even after just 5-6k miles of driving. At this point 90% of the noise is gone. Adding the lube to the door seal (don't forget to lift it to clean it and add lube to all areas), doors, and the harder rubber bits around the window area helps kind of "fluff" the rubber. Hard to explain but it just feels a bit more plush. Then I dry lube the felt area (I use a 3m Teflon variety that's a dropper) as I clean directly behind it with a cotton cloth. This seems to work and noise is gone for 3-4 months, where I wipe it down again with just water and a cotton cloth and it's noise free again for another 3-4 months. Rinse and repeat.

Maybe others have had longer term luck, but that's what has worked for me. Also chassis bracing seems to help the noise when going over uneven road surfaces or driveway curb entry.