GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help, spark plug tip broke inside cylinder.

Beelz

Passed Driver's Ed
I turned the car on to move it to the back to work on it, but it seems good now again, the ticking noise is still there but much quieter.. and it drives just as good as before, been driving around all day and so far it's good besides from the ticking noise. So I'm not really sure what's causing this anymore. And no CEL after I cleared it. I guess I'll keep driving more and see what happens

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
If this thing doesn't grenade on you while you have it running, I would buy a lotto ticket because you are one lucky SOB

Beelz

Passed Driver's Ed
Lol I like extreme sports.. I saw this video of a dude with similar issue, he ran the engine with the spark plug out for a few mins and little thing popped out, is that safe to do on our engines

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Lol I like extreme sports.. I saw this video of a dude with similar issue, he ran the engine with the spark plug out for a few mins and little thing popped out, is that safe to do on our engines
You've already thrown caution to the wind. Why not? Let us know what happens.

Beelz

Passed Driver's Ed
UPDATE..

2 weeks ago, I cleaned the carbon with a sand blaster and I used the liquimoly fuel injector cleaner "someone suggested I should try" put everything back together and about 350 miles in so far no issues. Runs smooth no CEL and engine compression is about the same still. I don't drive the car daily but I have been for the last week.

golfare

Passed Driver's Ed
UPDATE..

2 weeks ago, I cleaned the carbon with a sand blaster and I used the liquimoly fuel injector cleaner "someone suggested I should try" put everything back together and about 350 miles in so far no issues. Runs smooth no CEL and engine compression is about the same still. I don't drive the car daily but I have been for the last week.
It's been a few months now and I'd like to hear how this works out for you. I have a very similar situation. Spark plug electrode broke off in Cyl 3, couldn't find the electrode, got misfire codes even after new plugs were installed. Car ran perfect after new plugs were installed until I gave it some power and let off, then I got the same exact noise you got in your first video. Leakdown test, compression test, cylinder walls, and turbine blades all checked out good. I haven't done a carbon cleaning yet and I'm at 61k. Just hard for me to believe that just cleaning your carbon got rid of that sound.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
You people driving with literal broken off pieces of metal in your engine are fucking dumb, holy shit how can people be so dumb?

Beelz

Passed Driver's Ed
You people driving with literal broken off pieces of metal in your engine are fucking dumb, holy shit how can people be so dumb?
Dumb people have feelings too you know.. anywho my car has been running good since, who knows if I'm "dumb" lucky and it shot out or carbon clean fixed it

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
who knows if I'm "dumb" lucky and it shot out or carbon clean fixed it
This statement alone shows you fall into the other category of dumb, not the luck one.

You both have scoring on the walls of your cylinder and you both need new bottom ends. Pieces of solid metal do not simply "shoot out" of your cylinder leaving no damage.

You might think it runs fine now, update us in a few months.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
This statement alone shows you fall into the other category of dumb, not the luck one.

You both have scoring on the walls of your cylinder and you both need new bottom ends. Pieces of solid metal do not simply "shoot out" of your cylinder leaving no damage.

Your tone makes you sound like an asshole.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Seems to me that if the motor is running fine now why go to the expense of tearing it down instead of waiting to find out there is damage? The motor could continue to run fine for thousands of miles and the expense would be the same later on.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
Seems to me that if the motor is running fine now why go to the expense of tearing it down instead of waiting to find out there is damage? The motor could continue to run fine for thousands of miles and the expense would be the same later on.

Because you dont know where the piece of metal went. What is to say it isnt stuck to a piece of gunky carbon right now and lets loose through the exhaust valve and hits his turbo while its spinning at 20k rpm?

The MINIMUM damage done right now is to the cylinder walls and the piston head, possibly valve damage as well. But it CAN get worse.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
Your tone makes you sound like an asshole.

I dont care. I cant stand to see people give out shit advice like, "hey keep driving your car with metal bits clanging around!"

I calls em like I sees em chief.