GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dashcam recommendations (People suck)

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Well boys and girls, it's finally happened. Some jackass backed into my car while parked and dented my hood and scraped my front bumper a bit. Then they took off without a trace. That being said, this is the push I need to finally get a dashcam so if the bastard ever returns for round 2 I'm ready. If anybody has any recommendations that would be great. Money wise, I'm not looking to break the bank on something that's 1000 bucks but I'm not looking to cheap out on trash either. Somewhere in the 300ish range is what I'm expecting but I could be way off lol. As always, any help is appreciated

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
So you will need to have it going to a constant power source for it to have the parking mode. So wiring it to your fusebox I believe will not work as it will only start recording once the car is on. Let me know what you find out cause I'm also interested in doing the same for my car.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So you will need to have it going to a constant power source for it to have the parking mode. So wiring it to your fusebox I believe will not work as it will only start recording once the car is on. Let me know what you find out cause I'm also interested in doing the same for my car.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I’m sure other cameras have a parking mode too but Garmin cameras have a nice power module that you can buy that plugs into 2 fuse spots - one on ignition 12V and the other on constant 12V. Then it’ll record stuff while parked and you can set how long it’ll monitor. And it also monitors your battery voltage to shut off if it’s too low.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Something to keep in mind: Make sure to get a "high endurance" memory card for the dashcam. They'll last longer. I saw a reddit thread where the recommended replacement interval was each year, but that seems like a lot and could depend on how much you drive. Someone else in that same reddit thread said that they just keep a spare memory card in the glovebox so that you're ready to replace the one in the dashcam when it fails, then they order a new one to keep ready in the glovebox again.

I otherwise have a 4K Aukey dashcam that I really like. I'd provide a link if they were still available, but it got removed from Amazon when all Aukey products were purged a while back.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
so from my understanding sounds like you need to get one with a built in battery built in for park monitoring. Also 60FPS is needed for anything with speed above 55mph to catch a clear license plate. Garmin 57 or 67W are the ones I'm considering.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Something to keep in mind: Make sure to get a "high endurance" memory card for the dashcam. They'll last longer. I saw a reddit thread where the recommended replacement interval was each year, but that seems like a lot and could depend on how much you drive. Someone else in that same reddit thread said that they just keep a spare memory card in the glovebox so that you're ready to replace the one in the dashcam when it fails, then they order a new one to keep ready in the glovebox again.

I otherwise have a 4K Aukey dashcam that I really like. I'd provide a link if they were still available, but it got removed from Amazon when all Aukey products were purged a while back.

The dash cam should tell you when the SD card fails. 1 year replacement cycle is a bit much. The chances a card goes out right when you need it are likely low, but crazier things have happened.

I've been running this camera for about 2 years now and have no complaints. Was one of the higher rated ones when I initially did some research.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SRQH4R7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still think manufacturers should be putting USB ports somewhere in the rear view mirror to plug in dash cams, but that would be too easy.