jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
You won't need a coil puller. Just get the engine up to operating temp before pulling them off and they'll slide right out.
Thanks. That's what I figured I would do (like with most every other car) but I was surprised to see either the popularity of coil pullers or the effective marketing that makes them seem popular

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Thanks. That's what I figured I would do (like with most every other car) but I was surprised to see either the popularity of coil pullers or the effective marketing that makes them seem popular
A backup coil or two wouldn't have to hurt to have just in case. I pulled a coil and discovered it had sh*t out a spring that latched itself onto the plug and required to be yanked out /w a pick. Couldn't drive the car until the next day later after O'Reillys delivered a new coil.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
The coils are easier to remove if the engine is warm. The APR coils cost close to the same as OEM but if your coils are okay they are a waste of money.

I'm half expecting to not be able to reuse my coils, normally caused by my ape-like delicacy and penchant for swearing my way through every job I do. (And yet I enjoy that)
With it being my daily an extra $100 for new coils is cheaper than the cost of a Uber to/from work and guarantees I'll have a working car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm half expecting to not be able to reuse my coils, normally caused by my ape-like delicacy and penchant for swearing my way through every job I do. (And yet I enjoy that)
With it being my daily an extra $100 for new coils is cheaper than the cost of a Uber to/from work and guarantees I'll have a working car.
If you are going to get back up coils the APR coils are the ones to get. And they cost the same as OEM. Just don't expect any extra power because of them.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
In that case, lol

https://www.killallwipers.com/

There one you may have not seen since it’s not advertised on the bigger online sellers.

Its one of the most discrete and flush options out there (as discrete as a delete can be that is, lol. Since no matter what it’s visible that a wiper should be there).

Also it’s one of the mods that get the “ONly fUNctIOnaL MoD CAn bE dOnE to someone else’s car is approved around here” type lol.

View attachment 220039View attachment 220040
I like this mod as it looks clean. Today was a good test as it was a torrential downpour on the way to work. Didn’t feel the need to use my rear wiper once.

Grey Hare1

I suspect that you are the stage where you want to decide what you don't like about the car and then decide how to "fix"it.

Here are a couple of posts I made 10+ years ago on a BMW forum:

Don't be a lemming. Just because others are doing a particular mod doesn't mean you do.

Decide what advantages a certain mod have for you. Be honest - is it sound, appearance or performance. Remember that very few mods will actually improve performance or real world handling.

Do your research. What disadvantages does this mod have? Will it affect your warranty? What can some of the unintended consequences be? Has BMW (or another manufacturer) specifically warned against this type of mod? What are the legal implications? Do the cops in your area enforce that particular law? Is it unsafe to you or others?

Is the full cost of the mod (parts, labor, increased operating costs) worth the benefit?

And finally

Are you mentally and monetarily prepared to pay for both the mod and the consequences of the mod? This includes paying for damage that the dealer refuses to fix under warranty because they believe it was caused by the mod.
--------- response to a post -----------

Absolutely correct. Everyone needs to decide if the costs plus the tradeoffs are worth it for you.

Take the BBK as an example. By the time it is installed it will have set you back anywhere between $3500 and $4k. It will give you zero (let me repeat that - zero) benefits in day to day driving and, depending on the pads, may sound like a squealing pig. The only benefit (aside from cool painted calipers and possibly slotted rotors) is on the track.

If you never - or only very seldom - track your car then you really need to think about that mod and do a cost/benefit analysis.

You might decide that the cool factor is worth it - perfectly fine - but don't try to convince yourself that you'll get any day to day braking benefits.

The same holds true for most other mods.

The point of this thread is to get you to think about your mods, the benefits, the disadvantages and finally - to be honest with yourself about why you want to do the mod.

Most reasons are fine - improved performance - improved appearance (obviously subjective but you shouldn't care what anyone else thinks) - or just bragging rights.

Some mods can't be justified - those that are dangerous (but might look cool - ask yourself if there is a non - dangerous mod that accomplishes the same thing) and those that negatively affect others.

Let's look at a few examples

Dark tint on windshields (and even side windows) may reduce your visibility to the point of being dangerous at night. There have been some guys here that say "the tint is fine, I just roll my window down at night and look out that" - where was that guy when they handed out brains?

If your objective is heat/UV rejection, then you can get the identical (if not better) rejection using a 60% ceramic tint. If you objective is "looking cool" then you might want to reconsider that limo tint for something you can see out of at night. Find a buddy that has that tint and drive his car at night. Ask yourself objectively "is it safe?"

Higher Kelvin bulbs. We know (objectively) that the HID bulb that gives you the best balance between visibility and low glare is about 4300k. I didn't make that up, there have been a zillion studies on this - both here and Europe - we can accept that as a fact for current bulb technology. Going significantly higher will reduce usable visibility and increase glare for oncoming cars so, while bluer bulbs may look cool, they may be dangerous. Is there an alternative?

Whiter angel eye (or angle eye if you're into geometry) bulbs might even out the appearance of the front of your car and may make the headlights look "better" but may have warranty and reliability pitfalls - something that needs to be researched before you do that as an alternative to high Kelvin headlamps.

Now that I've beat a dead horse, let me give you a cliff notes version:

Modding a car to personalize it can be a good thing
Consider all the consequences and implication of your mod
Be prepared to pay for anything your mod breaks
Do your research
Be honest with yourself about the reasons for doing a mod

A few final bits of advice - don't go into debt for a mod that brings no actual driving performance improvements such as wheels, radios, paint and trim etc. Wait until you have the cash in hand to do those.

Virtually no mod will ever be recouped at resale unless you return the car to stock and sell the mods. The only mods that might make your a bit more desireable are very conservative appearance mods - legal tint in places like Florida for example. You won't get more money for your car but it might sell quicker.

Don't cheap out on important things like tires, brakes and maintenance. Although everyone under 25 is invincible, those things could save your life.

Respect the laws that affect others (catless exhausts, high Kelvin bulbs etc.)
So true. Thx.

Bford6635

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI
lol
Yeah, but I think he may be using the wrong term. He'll figure it out though after watching a video or two. If it's not what he wants, he'll at least learn what it is.
Yeah, but I think he may be using the wrong term. He'll figure it out though after watching a video or two. If it's not what he wants, he'll at least learn what it is.

Starting at 4:15 in the video below, I think that's what he meant.

Starting at 4:15 in the video below, I think that's what he meant.

Yes this is it thank you!

itskohler

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 1998 4runn
Not so much a MK7 stupid question, rather one about the forums.

I haven't had a VW in 4 years or so, and back then I was more into Vortex. Flash forward to present and I've noticed Vortex seems desolate. Came here to make an account but noticed I already had one with the same join date as my vortex account. What gives?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I haven't had a VW in 4 years or so, and back then I was more into Vortex. Flash forward to present and I've noticed Vortex seems desolate. Came here to make an account but noticed I already had one with the same join date as my vortex account. What gives?
No idea but Welcome to the best MK7 forum.

cb1111

You must have signed up in the Mk5/6 forum back in 2011. there is no connection to VWVortex

itskohler

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 1998 4runn
Ah, thats probably it. I was very active on JettaMKV around that time.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I cut my teeth on the whoretex back when I had my first mk4 -- on the one hand, lots of good information, and it kept me from doing dumb stuff to my car. On the other hand, that place had some downright toxic folks, which kind of made it suck. I avoided posting because of it.

Here, it's like the best parts of the 'tex, but with a far kinder userbase. I appreciate y'all.

edit: Question I just started thinking about -- is there any adjustment in rear toe from the factory on these cars, or do I need to get adjustable rear toe links? Looking at zeroing out rear toe for handling reasons, BUT if my only option is $200+ links, I've got other things I can/should spend my money on at the moment. Thanks all!

edit2: I'm dumb, glad I'm in the right thread.
answered my question, right from the start. Guess it's time to break out the tape measure!

Last edited:

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Possible reasons for a front passenger side clunk over bumps? All I can think of is that since I’m lowered, my end links are still a little too long and the sway bar is hitting the control arm.

Checked every bolt I could think of and everything is tight: subframe, endlinks, strut, control arm, engine mount, etc.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG