GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody running Win 11?

cb1111

Upgrade was no different from the usual Win10 updates.
Search bar gone and replaced by an icon - so an additional step to look for something, but I suspect few people used the search bar.
Start button and all of the task bar icons centered now (that takes some getting used to)
Those goofy tiles finally gone (did anyone ever use them?)

The only real functional change I've seen in five minutes of testing is that the "restart after update" button gives you an estimated time that the reboot will take.

It seems to run fine on a 7th gen i7 and I suspect the only showstopper is the TPM (Trusted Platform Manager)

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Nah, will wait for the official release and then it will be laptop only. Once I feel it’s stable then will update the desktop.

the preview right now probably doesn’t have the hardware restrictions in it yet but 8 series Intel and 2000 series ryzen are requirements. That and the TPM chip you mentioned means it won’t run on a lot of systems

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/21/...d-by-windows-11s-short-list-of-supported-cpus

cb1111

Nah, will wait for the official release and then it will be laptop only. Once I feel it’s stable then will update the desktop.

the preview right now probably doesn’t have the hardware restrictions in it yet but 8 series Intel and 2000 series ryzen are requirements. That and the TPM chip you mentioned means it won’t run on a lot of systems

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/21/...d-by-windows-11s-short-list-of-supported-cpus
The 8 series requirement is going to go away unless there are reports of issues. There won't be.

I suspect that the final requirements will be far lower (5 or 6) because anything that runs Win10 should run 11.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
🤚

8213E6BB-2F0E-4900-A90A-09D5C0F69D4E.jpeg

cb1111

Good point. Let me try it on my X220. I think that is a gen 4 i7

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Gonna update now. Can’t wait to break my drivers. But that’s ok. I need a break from overwatch crossplay. Low hanging fruit vs controller guys with no aim assist

cb1111

Gonna update now. Can’t wait to break my drivers. But that’s ok. I need a break from overwatch crossplay. Low hanging fruit vs controller guys with no aim assist
Make sure that you update all of your drivers beforehand and close everything. I assume that you have a recent backup? you won't need it, but if you don't have one then your computer will go up in smoke.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Make sure that you update all of your drivers beforehand and close everything. I assume that you have a recent backup? you won't need it, but if you don't have one then your computer will go up in smoke.
i dont use my pc for anything except gaming tbh. recovery is pretty quick but ill make a backup just in case

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Those goofy tiles finally gone (did anyone ever use them?)

Yes, a lot of my software takes up the whole screen, so I mimicked my desktop icons in those tiles so I could start a different application quickly without having to minimize what I'm working on.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I just started upgrading to windows 10 in the last couple years lol

The pc I use at work is still on windows 7, about half of us here are still on win 7.

cb1111

I'm also running win11 on a Dell Venue tablet with 2gb of RAM. VCDS runs fine on it too.
so the venue isn't doing that well on 11 (I was surprised that it even loaded) but it really needs more memory. I suspect that 4GB is the minimum.

cb1111

Not yet, I would like to see more reviews before I make update my Windows.
If you do developer builds then this one seems pretty safe. I'm running it on three different machines from a 2012 Thinkpad 220x (i7 16Gb memory) to my Dell 5530 (i9 32Gb) and my XPS 13 (7th gen i7 - 8Gb) without issues. It runs, but badly, on the venue tablet so I rolled back to the last win 10 developer build.