GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New 2021s still arriving at dealers?

Jgilber0

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
‘21 GTI S 6MT
Wow!

That’s the absolute end of the MK7.5 manuals. Only three left as of tonight - 1 Autobahn in Daytona, FL; 1 SE in Freehold, NJ and 1 S in Spokane, WA per Cars.com.

Glad I bought mine when I did!
Just two left now. Somebody is happy in NJ tonight.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m not sure if the Plaid Tesla has a second gear, but it’s apparently running 150mph 1/4’s, so it’s not dropping off like previous Teslas.
I haven't heard that Tesla has gears. The Porsche link you posted is the first time I've heard of it.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I've wondered why no one has developed a 2 speed transmission for EV's? I understand that it's an electric motor turning the wheels but unless I'm missing something obvious, which I probably am, it seems like a 2 speed transmission would aid in acceleration and then at highway speeds not have to run the electric motor at so many RPM 's. Why not have the electric motor run through a transmission? I'm probably going to be embarrassed by the answer.
Always wondered what the limitation to doing this was too, but it's cool that Porsche has made it work

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
I've wondered why no one has developed a 2 speed transmission for EV's? I understand that it's an electric motor turning the wheels but unless I'm missing something obvious, which I probably am, it seems like a 2 speed transmission would aid in acceleration and then at highway speeds not have to run the electric motor at so many RPM 's. Why not have the electric motor run through a transmission? I'm probably going to be embarrassed by the answer.
Electric motor efficiency and output don't form a curve with a clear power band peak. There's no need for gears if the motors are sized appropriately. Electric motors can spin 30K RPM with no issues. Gear reduction really isn't necessary; it's used in some applications to get a set output speed for a set input amperage or to use a smaller motor for a given job. In a car it makes a lot of sense to size the motors correctly and save the cost and weight.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Electric motor efficiency and output don't form a curve with a clear power band peak. There's no need for gears if the motors are sized appropriately. Electric motors can spin 30K RPM with no issues. Gear reduction really isn't necessary; it's used in some applications to get a set output speed for a set input amperage or to use a smaller motor for a given job. In a car it makes a lot of sense to size the motors correctly and save the cost and weight.
Check the link that was posted about the Porsche that has a 2 speed transmission.

Jgilber0

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
‘21 GTI S 6MT
Wow!

That’s the absolute end of the MK7.5 manuals. Only three left as of tonight - 1 Autobahn in Daytona, FL; 1 SE in Freehold, NJ and 1 S in Spokane, WA per Cars.com.

Glad I bought mine when I did!
And then there was one. This is the last new MK7.5 manual left to sell in the US, a white S-model in Spokane. It’s exactly like mine. 😀

E2C2CB57-25ED-49F8-91BC-6256D3D5631B.jpeg

62386B85-1DBD-4AFD-833D-4CFCF238A4C4.jpeg

Last edited:

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Check the link that was posted about the Porsche that has a 2 speed transmission.
Thanks, I hadn't seen that on my first pass. I'd still like to see comparative numbers to justify the increased cost (not an issue for Porsche buyers), weight and introduced driveline losses.

If gears really improved EV in a meaningful way, Toyota, VW, Tesla etc. would have them in all their cars; geared drivelines aren't new after all.

1625328617755.png

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I don’t think VW or Toyota are concerned with Autobahn speeds (really probably true of Tesla too.)

The Taycan and eTron GT are likely to see at least limited Autobahn use, even if their range plummets when doing so.

Even though the Plaid appears to be quicker than Turbo S under 100, I’d guess the Taycan still has the advantage over 100 due to the second gear.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Another advantage of the Porsche 2 speed transmission is the extended range of the batteries.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Another advantage of the Porsche 2 speed transmission is the extended range of the batteries.
Would the extra weight of the gearbox improve range more than that amount of weight in extra battery cells? I guess only Porsche knows for sure.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Would the extra weight of the gearbox improve range more than that amount of weight in extra battery cells? I guess only Porsche knows for sure.
Almost definitely. That's like saying a 4 speed manual gearbox is more efficient than a 9 speed auto because of weight... when we know that the 9 speed would smash a 4 speed in MPG

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Almost definitely. That's like saying a 4 speed manual gearbox is more efficient than a 9 speed auto because of weight... when we know that the 9 speed would smash a 4 speed in MPG
No, it's like saying the extra weight of the 9spd produces enough of an efficiency gain that the range of the car is better than had you just added more fuel capacity equal to the gain in weight. The 9spd keeps the motor in it's most efficient operating range better than the 4spd, by a lot. Electric motors give up less than ICE motors across their RPM range at a given amperage input, by a lot.