GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Eibach Pro Kit Installed

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Hey! After going back and forth on which springs to get (H&R OE, EMD, Eibach pro kit) I settled on the Pro kit. Super happy with the outcome, no signs of reverse rake and and the drop looks perfect. They still have to settle

Took me a good 6-7 hours to install w/ 2x4 method

Attachments

• gti5.jpg
    gti5.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 3,920
  • gti6.jpg
    gti6.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 2,191
  • gti7.jpg
    gti7.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 1,271

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Congrats on completing the install! Looks great! Did you have a second set of hands to help with threading the bolts into the upper strut mounts when reinstalling? That was the only part I couldn't do myself, I'm not patient enough for the trial and error method. Just FYI, in my experience quality coil springs like Eibach, H&R, etc. don't really settle much, other than the minute change that comes from driving a bit after putting the car back on the ground after installation. I know the VWR's I installed on mine haven't changed in ride height since checking the fender to floor height after the initial shake out drive. Did you trim the bump stops, or leave them as is? I trimmed the front stops and inverted them on the strut shaft per the Euro Sport street camber kit instructions, but didn't have the right tool at the time of spring installation to get to the rear bump stops. It hasn't been bad so far, but I haven't pushed it too hard over rough pavement yet either. I plan to go back and trim the rear stops soon just for insurance.

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Congrats on completing the install! Looks great! Did you have a second set of hands to help with threading the bolts into the upper strut mounts when reinstalling? That was the only part I couldn't do myself, I'm not patient enough for the trial and error method. Just FYI, in my experience quality coil springs like Eibach, H&R, etc. don't really settle much, other than the minute change that comes from driving a bit after putting the car back on the ground after installation. I know the VWR's I installed on mine haven't changed in ride height since checking the fender to floor height after the initial shake out drive. Did you trim the bump stops, or leave them as is? I trimmed the front stops and inverted them on the strut shaft per the Euro Sport street camber kit instructions, but didn't have the right tool at the time of spring installation to get to the rear bump stops. It hasn't been bad so far, but I haven't pushed it too hard over rough pavement yet either. I plan to go back and trim the rear stops soon just for insurance.

Thanks! I didn't have anyone to help unfortunately but definitely had fun learning. I left the bump stops as is, Eibach doesn't say to cut them so I left them as is. Hopefully I won't need to since it's about a 1" drop but I'll have to see.

I'm assuming we can trim it without removing the strut again so no biggie if I do need to go back in

So far the ride feels compliant and similiar to stock. Doesn't feel much stiffer.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Hopefully you won't have to, but the struts and shocks need to be removed and disassembled in order to trim the bump stops.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Hopefully you won't have to, but the struts and shocks need to be removed and disassembled in order to trim the bump stops.
Not true

The front is trickier, but you can jack the car up and slide the dust boot up & the bump stop down and then trim/cut it with a sharp razor blade. Just made sure you don't cut into the strut shaft. There's just limited space there with the spring's coils possibly getting in the way.

The rear is definitely easier and can be done on the car still though. Jack the car up, cut the zip tie for the shock's dust boot, slide it down & out of the way. Then pull the bump stop down and trim/cut the end off while not cutting into the shock's shaft. Slide the bump stop back up into the shock mount, zip tie the dust boot back up and you're done.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
On the "settling" - I agree and not sure why folks think that quality coil springs will settle at all - it's a v. common concern. My H&Rs are the same today as they were the day they were installed. A few bounces on the ground to get all the parts/bushings moving again is about all. My feeling is either folks don't measure them accurately (center axle to fender lip) or differences in weight (full tank vs. 1/4 tank gas etc.) could be at play.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I've cut the front bump stops on the car with a really sharp steak knife, when the wife wasn't lookin'. Not a perfect cut but good enough.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
On the "settling" - I agree and not sure why folks think that quality coil springs will settle at all - it's a v. common concern. My H&Rs are the same today as they were the day they were installed. A few bounces on the ground to get all the parts/bushings moving again is about all. My feeling is either folks don't measure them accurately (center axle to fender lip) or differences in weight (full tank vs. 1/4 tank gas etc.) could be at play.

Wasn't aware of this but good to know. It's been a couple days now and the car sits about 1 finger gap in the front and almost 1.5 in the rear.

Drove it around quite a bit yesterday on smooth and rough roads. On smoother roads where I live the ride is almost stock like. hard to tell. You can definitely feel it a bit more when you go slower like entering a parking lot entrance or sharp dips, but again nothing crazy.

On rougher roads like downtown city certain bumps you can definitely feel it more and have to slow down quite a bit and be aware of your surroundings. Something i am used to from driving previous lowered cars. I haven't bottomed out at all.

I haven't paid too much attention on performance yet as my main concern was ride quality but the car definitely feels more flat through the corners.

gti8.jpg

gti9.jpg

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3

When they do sag...its typically the springs settling into things like the rubber isolators.

It's like cable stretch on a bike. Its not the cable stretching but its the cable housing settling into the ferrules

tigeo

Autocross Champion
When they do sag...its typically the springs settling into things like the rubber isolators.

It's like cable stretch on a bike. Its not the cable stretching but its the cable housing settling into the ferrules
Yep - and I agree. But folks talk the spring sags which it doesn't. And great analogy with the cables....I used to work in a shop and had to explain that a lot...