GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any here into retro gaming?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I randomly came across this on Amazon. Its a third party system that has hundreds of games on there. Arcade, GB, GBA, NES, SNES. This had got to be the best system I've come across. Not sure how this is "legal"...but its got just about every game I've liked from back in the day across multiple platforms.

The bad part is the build quality. The unit has a lightweight feel to it and the buttons aren't that comfortable to use. Both the D pad and the thumbstick have a really stiff feel to it...but for $50...its still worth it. The screen resolution is actually pretty good. If you have a power bank with you...you can play till your thumbs fall off.

Its got both the arcade and SNES versions of UN Squadron.

IMG_20210617_162137.jpg

Finally was able to beat the arcade version of Alien vs Predator. I think it would have cost me like $40 to beat it at the arcade.:LOL:

IMG_20210617_162341.jpg

IMG_20210617_162210.jpg

If you chose to buy one of these...be careful what vendor you buy from. A lot will use the same hardware...but not all the games that are uploaded are the same. I've read that on some units you'll get a bunch of garbage homebrew games along with ones that aren't even in English. I got mine here, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MXJ2PBP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I actually ordered the larger screen "X12" version too.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I have seen these running around. I built a RetroPie a couple of years ago and I enjoy it, when there is time to use it. I also repurposed one of my PSPs and fitted a massive LIPo into it and set it up to run emulators. It handles cart games pretty well, the disc based stuff, notsomuch.

On the legal end, it isnt. Emulation in and of itself isnt illegal, owning the ROMs is the issue.

Good steal though.

I actually just got into emulators, currently ps2 games
What are you running those on? I have some ROMs but I dont really have any dedicated hardware that can properly emulate the PS2 stuff.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I have seen these running around. I built a RetroPie a couple of years ago and I enjoy it, when there is time to use it. I also repurposed one of my PSPs and fitted a massive LIPo into it and set it up to run emulators. It handles cart games pretty well, the disc based stuff, notsomuch.

On the legal end, it isnt. Emulation in and of itself isnt illegal, owning the ROMs is the issue.

Good steal though.

What are you running those on? I have some ROMs but I dont really have any dedicated hardware that can properly emulate the PS2 stuff.

I did look into the Raspberry Pie DIY emulators. Its pretty darn cool...especially the custom cases that are available for them.

This is basically an emulator...but in a portable Nintendo Switch looking console...and it also has Street Fighter 2. I pumped soooo much money into those machines back in the day.

Its crazy how cheap these electronic devices can be built. There are cheaper units that are around $20 that play Game Boy and NES games. With all the games that can be crammed into the memory of these units...the games are a lot smaller than I thought...especially the arcade versions.

When the Nintendo DS was still current...there was this cartridge called the "R4 DS". It was a DS cartridge that if you put in an SD card with game ROMS on there...it would play all those games. I remember that Nintendo kept trying to shut them down and there was all kinds of fake R4's floating around. There were sites where you can download the ROMs...but they were pretty hush hush. I still got my DS Lite. Along with my GB Micro and Gameboy Advances. I still play them from time to time.

There's just something about these old school games that the new games can't replace. Maybe its the memories of being in a simpler time.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Nothing wrong with 6 year old games...unless they are games for literally a 6 year old.😅

My cousin when he was really young would ask me to play games so he can watch. Its like watching a TV show for him.
My wife would watch me play final fantasy 7, 9 and 10. To her it was like a movie. Sephiroth did what?!? She was crying. I was crying. When dude shanked Aerith, we had to pause after the cutscene.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Beat metroid last month. Only been 35 or so years since last playthru 😂

Almost done with super metroid. Excited for metroid dread.
I like how dread changes from third person to side scroller!

the switch is everything I wanted the stupid psp to be. When I say pc master race I always whisper “and switch”

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
My wife would watch me play final fantasy 7, 9 and 10. To her it was like a movie. Sephiroth did what?!? She was crying. I was crying. When dude shanked Aerith, we had to pause after the cutscene.
I tried 9 but im losing interest. Beat 7 when it came out. 1,2,3 and chrono trigger too. I just can’t do the grinding. Too old for that shit

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My wife at 51 just started playing video games after a lifetime of thinking they were stupid. She got into Valheim, because we could play and hangout with our son and his wife online, now she's playing No Man's Sky.