GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear mounted bike rack

Ottoman

Hi

bit of a random one - I have a mk7 1.6 tdi standard car. We need to get a rear mounted bike rack for 2 kids bikes but was told by Halfords that they will rip the rear spoiler off?? Wondering if anyone has one that they can recommend or if the assistant wasn’t right?

Thanks

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Hi

bit of a random one - I have a mk7 1.6 tdi standard car. We need to get a rear mounted bike rack for 2 kids bikes but was told by Halfords that they will rip the rear spoiler off?? Wondering if anyone has one that they can recommend or if the assistant wasn’t right?

Thanks

Is it one of the ones that clips onto it in that little gap? I could absolutely see it breaking. It’s very brittle plastic. I got rear ended and they had to take that off to replace the hatch and it broke in the process.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
It might be more than what you're willing to spend...but getting a hitch and a rack that inserts into the hitch...I've found is the best way to transport bikes.

Are the bikes really small?

Ottoman

There is a very small balance bike but my son now on to 20 inch wheels so it’s a pain to fit in the boot!
Did think about adding a tow bar but altogether comes in quite expensive.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
I went through this last summer ..hopefully their are more hitches and mounts to be had this year.
I went with the Curt hitch..easy install but not the best looking. For racks there were none to be had.. I lucked out and got the rocky mounts westside. A bit heavy but I couldn't be happier for its ease of use and safe transporting. Highly recommend it. Altogether about 100 for the hitch and 330 for the rack.. worth every penny to me to not stress over how to transport 2 bikes at high speed.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
I also did the Curt hitch and am using it with a Yakima 4-bike rack. I actually don't mind how it looks at all, especially when the rack is removed. And has been said, there's no easier way to transport bikes then with a hitch mounted bike rack.

strickinato

Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
@Ottoman - Can you say more about your setup?

Did you get a Thule T2? I have a specific question:

When you have no bikes on, and the rack is in the folded up position, are you able to fully open the trunk? Or do you have to pull the rack down in order to open the trunk all the way?

Cosmic Heretic

Car(s)
2019 GTI Autobahn
I got an EcoHitch from Torklift Central in Kent,WA installed on my mk7.5 a couple weeks ago. My friend has one on his WRX also. It is expensive but terrific quality to go with my OneUp USA rack.
IMG_20210608_174725.jpg
IMG_20210608_160808.jpg

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Rear mounted hitches can definitely be heavy. We have a Thule that probably weights 50+ pounds.
what about crossbars and a roof mounted rack? No lightweight “cheap” options that I can think of.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Rear mounted hitches can definitely be heavy. We have a Thule that probably weights 50+ pounds.
what about crossbars and a roof mounted rack? No lightweight “cheap” options that I can think of.
This particular rack is around 30lbs. I had a Thule T2 and it was over 60lbs. I sold the Thule for the current Saris.

I had a roof rack on my Jetta wagon. It looks cool...but it was more tedious putting the bikes on and taking them off. It also sucked when its windy out. They look cool...but the hitch racks are way easier to use. The hitch rack is also way easier to put on and remove.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
This particular rack is around 30lbs. I had a Thule T2 and it was over 60lbs. I sold the Thule for the current Saris.

I had a roof rack on my Jetta wagon. It looks cool...but it was more tedious putting the bikes on and taking them off. It also sucked when its windy out. They look cool...but the hitch racks are way easier to use. The hitch rack is also way easier to put on and remove.
Agree with you on that. I’ve had both style racks and love our Thule. I can fit a road bike to a fat bike on it. But yea, it’s heavy.