GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I got my pair of 265s mounted, still Falkens.

This is the front and rear fitment on 18x9 +45, both have a 5mm spacer. I had a little rubbing in the front when I crashed over some speedbumps in my neighborhood. My front fenders haven't been rolled at all. The clearance to the strut in the front is very tight with the 5mm. A 3mm might get it done but I'm not sure, it's that close. In the back, it pokes a bit but I didn't have any rubbing. My ride height is about 13 3/8" from wheel center to fender on both ends.

Overall, I'd say 265 square can be done at my ride height with the front fenders rolled. I'll be using 265 front 255 rear this weekend.
View attachment 216736View attachment 216758
By rolled you mean, fender line trimmed? or rolled-rolled? or just inner-lip tucked?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm regretting not getting the Falkens now.

Need set will be RT660 255 40 17.

Kicking myself. They seem to work much better on the crappy old asphalt we use 80% of the time. No real difference I can tell when we run a nice surface at FIRM though.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I'm regretting not getting the Falkens now.

Need set will be RT660 255 40 17.

Kicking myself. They seem to work much better on the crappy old asphalt we use 80% of the time. No real difference I can tell when we run a nice surface at FIRM though.
There are a few people I run with who couldn't get yoks due to availability and ended up with the 660. They don't hate 'em, but they're definitely disappointed they aren't yoks

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
There are a few people I run with who couldn't get yoks due to availability and ended up with the 660. They don't hate 'em, but they're definitely disappointed they aren't yoks

Our old asphalt cheese grater surface eats Yokes for breakfast. Multiple people corded in 2 events. Too rich for my blood.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
2 events? That's aggressive even for the yoks

It's a decommissioned asphalt runway at a small airport. That was a DS prepped RS.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Looks like Öhlins are going to happen. Old version, not the new ones that allow more lowering but are unavailable for months. Also $500 off which I'll definitely take.

Going 400/630 for spring rate, revalving for rears so I have some room to go up in rate if desired.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This belongs in this thread.

FB_IMG_1623869543740.jpg

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
By rolled you mean, fender line trimmed? or rolled-rolled? or just inner-lip tucked?
I mean folding the inner lip, normal ST style. Basically taking the "L" shape cross-section and folding it to a tight "U" shape.

I have always called that rolling, so I'm not sure what the difference is between rolled-rolled and inner-lip tucked.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I mean folding the inner lip, normal ST style. Basically taking the "L" shape cross-section and folding it to a tight "U" shape.

I have always called that rolling, so I'm not sure what the difference is between rolled-rolled and inner-lip tucked.
Inner lip tucked may be referring to the fender screw mod where you remove a fender screw at the top of the wheel well and tuck the liner behind the car structure to gain some extra clearance from rubbing.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Yeah that's what I figured. I hear people more commonly (granted in non-autox circles) talk about rolling as just pulling the entire fender profile out

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's tough to roll without getting a slight amount of pull on most cars.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
17s, so max I can get is a 255. I'd be chasing a 265 if I didn't want to run the yoks, but they need a bit more rim than others.

Doesn't seem like anything likes to be pinched, but yeah, the Yok's reputation isn't great. I keep waffling. Today I'm leaning towards 17s.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Doesn't seem like anything likes to be pinched, but yeah, the Yok's reputation isn't great. I keep waffling. Today I'm leaning towards 17s.
I knew a guy who ran time trials with a 225 yok on a 9" rim. Said they really liked that.

I chose 17s for cost, but that's just me. I also like the feeling of tires that are better fit, and with a 9" wide rim max the 255s are already pushing it.