GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car wash, cylinder 2 misfire?!? P030200

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So in short car was down 2 weeks waiting for tires. During 2 weeks got a OBDEleven and wanted to see what I could mess with. Ran a scan and apparently it had a saved not active code for a cylinder 2 misfire. Cleared and rescanned no issues so I shut off the engine actor and "start vibration reduction."

Fast forward! Got tires on, I'm excited and got my car washed all fresh and clean! (I'll attach photos) Right as I get done and start to go I have a CEL and nothing sounding odd BTW. I Clear it and haven't had it return for about 80 miles of mix driving. Been a busy day and the car felt great with the new tires!

SO! What do you think? Fluke? Coil pack? I did grab some injector cleaner while I was out.
IMG_20210612_181044_362.jpg

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You didn't get a misfire because you washed your car. When you had the CEL what was the code?

RisingFallens

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI!
Take the coil and swap it with another cylinder and take the spark plug and swap it was another cylinder! See if the misfire follows

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Put the engine under a heavy load. I’d say the best way to do that is to shift into a high gear when going slow and floor it. So like 5th gear when you’re going 30ish and just floor it.
I did hear about the "Italian tune up" and kept the car above 2.5-3k and 225° most of the trip. Did some pulls too just to see if I could break traction :p

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Put the engine under a heavy load. I’d say the best way to do that is to shift into a high gear when going slow and floor it. So like 5th gear when you’re going 30ish and just floor it.
Don't do that. Lugging the motor is very hard on the crankshaft and will spark knock heavily which isn't good for the pistons.

RisingFallens

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI!
Don't do that. Lugging the motor is very hard on the crankshaft and will spark knock heavily which isn't good for the pistons.
Yeaaah. That’s very true. When I was working for BMW, we’d just do it long enough to confirm the misfire location. Not saying make a trip out of it, it would take just a pull or two to count up on the misfire counter

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeaaah. That’s very true. When I was working for BMW, we’d just do it long enough to confirm the misfire location. Not saying make a trip out of it, it would take just a pull or two to count up on the misfire counter
The problem with that is that you'll have misfires in cylinders that wouldn't misfire except when you're lugging the motor. He said that it hasn't happened again anyway.

RisingFallens

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI!
The problem with that is that you'll have misfires in cylinders that wouldn't misfire except when you're lugging the motor. He said that it hasn't happened again anyway.
So I guess the question would be, what’s the best way to tickle the misfire back out? I feel like taking care of it while its still intermittent before it’s tripping out. I’ll admit, I was a flat-rate tech that picked up some quick tips to get peeps in-and-out, so some of the things I know are kinda barbaric 😅

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So I guess the question would be, what’s the best way to tickle the misfire back out? I feel like taking care of it while its still intermittent before it’s tripping out. I’ll admit, I was a flat-rate tech that picked up some quick tips to get peeps in-and-out, so some of the things I know are kinda barbaric 😅
Since he said that it isn't misfiring again I don't understand why you would want to try to make it misfire. He should just keep driving like he normally does and if it returns then try to figure it out by moving that spark plug to a different cylinder.

RisingFallens

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI!
Since he said that it isn't misfiring again I don't understand why you would want to try to make it misfire. He should just keep driving like he normally does and if it returns then try to figure it out by moving that spark plug to a different cylinder.
I.. hmm… don’t have rebuttal! Hahaha

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
What I don't get is why? I'm at 50k miles, maybe new spark plug time? Or spray valve cleaner into the air header? (what its called escapes me)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What I don't get is why? I'm at 50k miles, maybe new spark plug time? Or spray valve cleaner into the air header? (what its called escapes me)
If your car is stock I would change the spark plugs every 25,000 miles in spite of what the manual says.
At 50,000 miles you very well could need carbon cleaning. I had the chemical carbon cleaning done once at 50,000 miles and saw before and after pictures and then had manual carbon cleaning done at the next 50,000 miles and I'll just do manual carbon cleaning every 50,000 miles from now on. The chemical cleaning
didn't work that well.