GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Spent the day in the shop yesterday getting a locals car ready for EQT stage 2.

Installed the first ever GESI GEN2 EPA 400 cell DP, OEM Fitment MP, FMIC (with ACC relocation bracket), a full set of BFI stage 1 mounts, an H&R 26mm RSB & a set of RS7 plugs.

He’s out and about logging some miles to confirm it’s CEL free today, I figured 200 miles will be plenty to know (a drive cycle is 100-150ish) and then it’s tune time. I’m sure it’s hard to resist the extra power, but he’s taking one for the team and putting in miles for science (which I really appreciate!).

Anyway, here’s the photo dump. Had the AC set to 74* and wow what a game changer (it was upper 80s and humid yesterday).

Firstgentalon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 1.8 TSI
a much-needed wash

IMG_1210.jpg

battle.munky

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Tornado Red 2017 Mk7
I'm traveling back to Huntsville from Albuquerque so being stuck in the airport, all I'm able to do is dream, so I have. Got the ShopDAP wish list loaded up.

Anyone know/have an opinion on if you go Stage 2+ without any sort of differential upgrades on a 2.0 GTI if you can put all that HP down or will you just be smoking the tires all the time? Asking for a friend ;)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
No one was surprised by this.

By the way, my downpipe has been on for 500 miles now, Stage 1 EQT with no spacer/defouler. I still don't have a CEL.

Awesome!

I really feel good about the Gen2 cats being good to go. The Gen1 is hit or miss and normally needs one defouler, but I think fuel quality and driving habits (letting the car warm up before getting on it hard) also play a role in it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm traveling back to Huntsville from Albuquerque so being stuck in the airport, all I'm able to do is dream, so I have. Got the ShopDAP wish list loaded up.

Anyone know/have an opinion on if you go Stage 2+ without any sort of differential upgrades on a 2.0 GTI if you can put all that HP down or will you just be smoking the tires all the time? Asking for a friend ;)

Some videos to answer your questions in over the top detail:

The first one is just me talking, like a podcast, since there was a ton of information to get through I made it that way so audio only was an option to take it all in while driving or whatever.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Anyone know/have an opinion on if you go Stage 2+ without any sort of differential upgrades on a 2.0 GTI if you can put all that HP down or will you just be smoking the tires all the time?
You'll smoke the tires for a little while, and eventually the clutch. Stage 2 in Huntsville Summer is going to be nasty on your car with a stock intercooler too. Start with a stage 1 map my friend, it's plenty of power.

battle.munky

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Tornado Red 2017 Mk7
You'll smoke the tires for a little while, and eventually the clutch. Stage 2 in Huntsville Summer is going to be nasty on your car with a stock intercooler too. Start with a stage 1 map my friend, it's plenty of power.
I dropped an IC in the wishlist to be prioritized prior to or in concert with the turbo back exhaust. We are making it progressively nastier so the wishlist will come in time but not before a new IC just because of the swamp ass factor for sure.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Spent the day in the shop yesterday getting a locals car ready for EQT stage 2.

Installed the first ever GESI GEN2 EPA 400 cell DP, OEM Fitment MP, FMIC (with ACC relocation bracket), a full set of BFI stage 1 mounts, an H&R 26mm RSB & a set of RS7 plugs.

He’s out and about logging some miles to confirm it’s CEL free today, I figured 200 miles will be plenty to know (a drive cycle is 100-150ish) and then it’s tune time. I’m sure it’s hard to resist the extra power, but he’s taking one for the team and putting in miles for science (which I really appreciate!).

Anyway, here’s the photo dump. Had the AC set to 74* and wow what a game changer (it was upper 80s and humid yesterday).

Sweet! So this downpipe, in theory, should be CEL free running a Stage 2 map that doesn't suppress O2 sensor readiness?
I know NC gives you a few years on new cars before needing an emissions inspection, but it'd be nice to go with an option that doesn't throw CEL's when the time comes for that inspection

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Sweet! So this downpipe, in theory, should be CEL free running a Stage 2 map that doesn't suppress O2 sensor readiness?
I know NC gives you a few years on new cars before needing an emissions inspection, but it'd be nice to go with an option that doesn't throw CEL's when the time comes for that inspection

Correct!

He ran this setup 200 miles prior to tuning to make sure the cat was up to the task.

So while longer term testing would be ideal it’s hard to hold off on the extra power with the EQT file ready to go, so I totally understand his excitement to throw the tune on (he held off exactly 202 miles haha).

The sample size will continue to grow as I’ve got several people on the waiting list for these already. Eventually I’m sure someone who doesn’t plan to tune immediately will grab one and give long term feedback, but for now this is a great start!

Here’s some quick sound clips

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Solid question