GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
He took it out preemptively in case it breaks which several people have had happen.
Wow first time I’ve heard of that. Those have gotta be freak incidents no? The thousands of average owners (which significantly outnumber us enthusiasts) would never think to do this.

With my luck, I’d break the bag trying to fish it out.

ImpetuousOne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTi S DSG
Did she get a ticket? A cop was killed by a red light runner last week in Phoenix.
No ticket issued. Phx PD took about an hour to show. They looked at our cars and stated it was likely less than $1000 in repairs, so it was a "civil" matter to be worked out between us. They didn't even ask any details on what happened!?

Anyways, the girl and I had a decent conversation while we waited and I wasn't out for blood. When I finally got a call from her agency, they said she openly admitted running the light and we were all set to proceed with the steps to get it fixed.

Yeah, I heard about that accident. Cave Creek and Greenway if I remember correctly. Sad when someone so young is lost, esp a person who steps up to protect and serve. My coworker was involved in a similar accident at that very intersection 5 years ago today. Totaled his brand new car and put him out of work for a couple months. Missing the low volume of cars from pre-restriction lift.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Color matched rear reflectors and working on doing the tail light eye lids which are also color matched to dark iron blue metallic. I made these myself minus the vinyl from klii.

Attachments

• 20210610_104121.jpg
    20210610_104121.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 106
  • 20210610_104116.jpg
    20210610_104116.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 91
  • 20210609_182006.jpg
    20210609_182006.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 94
  • 20210609_181959.jpg
    20210609_181959.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 101

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
This week I finally finished my Euro tail light conversion--first ordered the parts in December, but shipping delays and the need to cancel/reorder/order additional parts dragged it out. I installed new TYC-brand European halogen outer light assemblies to match my factory inner lights, modified an LED adapter harness, put in new Auxlight LED replacement bulbs from Amazon and did all of the necessary coding.

I now have essentially full ROW tail light function on my NAR GTI, including amber turn signals, rear fog light (once the proper switch comes in; I carefully drilled/cut out the bulb blank in my original light and only got a couple of plastic flecks stuck inside the lens) and single-side parking lights. Best of all, I was able to point to studies that show that amber turn signals are a significant contributor to reducing crashes, so my wife accepted it as a "safety" upgrade! I've also coded the tail lights to be on with the DRLs for extra visibility (Reflex Silver doesn't show dirt, but it's not nearly as visible on the road as my orange BMW).

A couple of in-action pics--excuse the dirty car:

20210609_200728_01.jpg

20210609_200757_01.jpg

Why go this route instead of the full-LED MK7 or MK7.5 replacements?
  • At about $325 all-in, this was a lot cheaper, if more involved; the wiring and coding required more research, planning and work (none of the existing adapter harnesses or forum threads did exactly what I wanted to do, though I'm particularly indebted to the posts by @ZERO815 about his conversion a few years ago).
  • I like the look of the halogen tail lights and the way they mirror the headlights. I don't care for the "blocky" look of the MK7 LED tail lights, and while I do like the MK7.5 style, quality kits are more than twice the cost (see first bullet).
  • In contrast to the full-LED lights, if some of the elements burn out, I can just replace the bulb assembly, not the whole unit. Since I intend to keep the car long-term, this will likely come into play down the road.
  • It's a less common modification, and that uniqueness appeals to me.
While I had the hatch apart, it was only a few more minutes to pull the camera assembly to install a color-matched Klii wrap on the background of the emblem. It's subtle, but I think it gives a more upscale look.

20210609_200917_01.jpg

-Dave

neoupa2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf Wagon
Figured out the activation parameters for the emergency flashing brake lights + hazard 4 way flashers after stopped.

If anyone wants to know, it's:

Speed >80km/h
Deceleration >6m/s
ABS activation

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Figured out the activation parameters for the emergency flashing brake lights + hazard 4 way flashers after stopped.

If anyone wants to know, it's:

Speed >80km/h
Deceleration >6m/s
ABS activation

Is this factory behavior, or is this something that needs to be coded? I like the notion of additional safety measures of this nature, but was unsure if this is something that can be coded in or exists by default for NAR vehicles.

neoupa2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf Wagon
Is this factory behavior, or is this something that needs to be coded? I like the notion of additional safety measures of this nature, but was unsure if this is something that can be coded in or exists by default for NAR vehicles.

Coded, exists for cars sold everywhere else; NAR vehicles are sold with the useless tail/turn signal tail light combo.

neoupa2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf Wagon
Good to know -- I have euro R tails on my NAR vehicle, I'll have to do some digging and see if I can find the coding info for this behavior. Thanks!
I only programmed it in after retrofitting European tail lights; the behaviour is not suitable for brake/turn signal combo lamps. It'll still work but the desired effect is no good.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Removed the ecs front air duct thingy. The plastic one, not the cf one. It was sagging in the middle pretty bad. And it’s weird cuz I asked @jimlloyd40 and he said his wasn’t sagging at all.

went to my brother in laws shop yesterday and I heated up a screw driver and made holes on the stock air duct, on the (American) drivers side. After a bunch of holes, I went at it with a (I think?) die grinder. I dunno this tool could be called something else? But yeah, the driver’s side is open now.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Removed the ecs front air duct thingy. The plastic one, not the cf one. It was sagging in the middle pretty bad. And it’s weird cuz I asked @jimlloyd40 and he said his wasn’t sagging at all.

went to my brother in laws shop yesterday and I heated up a screw driver and made holes on the stock air duct, on the (American) drivers side. After a bunch of holes, I went at it with a (I think?) die grinder. I dunno this tool could be called something else? But yeah, the driver’s side is open now.
Jim is 70+ how could his not be sagging?