GOLFMKV

Retrofit SatNav Antenna (& SD card query) Recommendations

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Fixed it!!

View attachment 216314

After:

View attachment 216315

That’s the full European bundle for it, the 15GB download (or however big it is). Don’t know what I did tbh, still used my Mac but formatted it using an old Windows machine, lying around.

Just need to figure out the coding/adaptations for getting the nav details onto the MFD and I think that’s all of it! (Oh, and my Dynaudio settings but Simaservis is on that.)
It's just one bit in the long coding for the cluster to enable Nav.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Well, I’m ALMOST there with it!

49D25C97-8070-46E6-95D4-39677F216BCD.jpeg

Comes up saying the above but if I punch in a route, it flashes for a split second then goes back to that.

I do have an error in the 5F unit - open GPS antenna circuit - that I don’t know how to clear. But I’m not too worried about that ATM.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Is the antenna okay?
So...this is where it gets really weird (and I've only just, in the last few minutes, learned this).

The car is picking up this many sats - the positioning is perfect, I can't fault it. I'm assuming that 9 is more than enough?

1623361391384.jpeg

I've been right through OBD11, looking for any obvious long-coding/adaptations I could apply to it. So far, nothing.

However, if I turn on Apple Maps and fire in a destination, this happens:

1623361651650.jpeg

I get the menu from the steering wheel controls, the full-sized compass (that indicates the road you're on) but the minute I choose a destination on the built-in nav again, it goes.

Seemingly, only one or the other can be on - you can't be using both. Which sort of makes me wonder, is it possible (somehow) to code it to pull the guidance from Apple Maps/Waze (should Apple decide to allow to make that accessible/an API for the device)? I dunno..random wondering.

All I can think at the moment is that an iPhone alteration has been set incorrectly maybe?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
So...this is where it gets really weird (and I've only just, in the last few minutes, learned this).

The car is picking up this many sats - the positioning is perfect, I can't fault it. I'm assuming that 9 is more than enough?

View attachment 216379

I've been right through OBD11, looking for any obvious long-coding/adaptations I could apply to it. So far, nothing.

However, if I turn on Apple Maps and fire in a destination, this happens:

View attachment 216380

I get the menu from the steering wheel controls, the full-sized compass (that indicates the road you're on) but the minute I choose a destination on the built-in nav again, it goes.

Seemingly, only one or the other can be on - you can't be using both. Which sort of makes me wonder, is it possible (somehow) to code it to pull the guidance from Apple Maps/Waze (should Apple decide to allow to make that accessible/an API for the device)? I dunno..random wondering.

All I can think at the moment is that an iPhone alteration has been set incorrectly maybe?
Correct, it's one or the other. It will not show you any guidance from your phone though.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Correct, it's one or the other. It will not show you any guidance from your phone though.
No, obviously not.

But I'm assuming, from the satellite data above, that the antenna is functioning fine? Is it being a third-party one the reason the 5F is throwing an error about the antenna circuit being left open?

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Seems that way.
It's very strange - why would it display a problem with the reception, when using the built-in Nav but work flawlessly when Apple Maps is working?

I'm going to do some research into the impedance on the OEM antennas for the car. I tested it again this afternoon; the car was flashing 0/11 on the signal indicator occasionally, which makes me think the antenna either isn't strong enough or getting a decent signal where it is.

I may still need to get a genuine one and wire it in myself - once I figure out where I want it to go... Best thing I can try for now will be to stick it on top of the dash and run it to see what it does.

frankie7

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
It's very strange - why would it display a problem with the reception, when using the built-in Nav but work flawlessly when Apple Maps is working?
Apple Maps (I assume you are talking about CarPlay here) uses GPS from your phone not from the car (y)
It's possible your car antenna isn't working properly or more VCDS/ODIS/ OBD11 coding required.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Apple Maps (I assume you are talking about CarPlay here) uses GPS from your phone not from the car (y)
It's possible your car antenna isn't working properly or more VCDS/ODIS/ OBD11 coding required.
I know it does. The point I’m making is that, when Apple Maps is working, the error in the MFD disappears and I get the compass, street name/road number and access to the quick menu for previous/saved destinations.

As soon as I actovate the built-in nav again, the error comes back.

The car antenna seems to be fine because when I activate the built-in nav, although I don’t get anything from it on the MFD, it picks up more than 10 satellites and engages at least 7/8 of them and it positions itself perfectly on the map VS where I am.

frankie7

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
That's Steven-Strange !
Did you check the SWaP/Fec codes from "available" list if they all are also inside "installed codes" list ? Maybe one of them is missing.
It all looks to be coding problem then. Join the VAG-MIB2 group on Telegram and search the group chat. If no results then ask there.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
That's Steven-Strange !
Did you check the SWaP/Fec codes from "available" list if they all are also inside "installed codes" list ? Maybe one of them is missing.
It all looks to be coding problem then. Join the VAG-MIB2 group on Telegram and search the group chat. If no results then ask there.
I’ll need to have a look - I’m not 100% up to scratch on what code is what. I’m going out on a limb and saying it’s a coding thing because if the SWaP code was missing, it wouldn’t do anything at all?