GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gbot's 19R 2.5VR6T Build

Which engine for the Turbo VR build is it gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
A bit of a drama filled day today.

I have a track day at Area 27 this coming Friday, and have my 18" wheels with PS4S from my GTI I was planning on using. So I swapped them onto the R Sunday afternoon, but joke's on me, the rear brake caliper rubs the inside of the drum with the bigger rotor + spacer on it. DOH. Guess I gotta sell them now since I won't revert back to OEM rear brake setup.

I definitely had no appetite to run the OEM contisport 5P at such a high speed track (or any track). So I went on a mission to try to find new Michelin PS4S in Vancouver, have them mounted and ready for leaving for Area 27 Thursday morning.

The local suppliers were out of 235/35/19 spec PS4S, but one shop was able to get me 245/35/19. This was great as it's my preferred width for the track, BUT, it threatened to rub the fender liner given my spacers (10mm front, 15mm back). Removing the spacers wasn't an option as the front wheels wouldn't have cleared the BBK calipers.

So, add a last minute frenzy to try to find some 5mm spacers for the front to split the difference, and give enough space for the tires. Well all the running around, it paid off. The tires fit, nothing rubs or binds and I have the right rubber to thrash the car around at the track!

PXL_20210614_231141780.MP.jpg

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Track day was a great success but was extremely hot and had to really pace myself and add some cooldown laps to keep the oil temperatures sub-130C. I'm going to be looking into a dedicated oil cooling setup to complement the CSF radiator upgrades.

I am also going to be changing my oil to Motul 300V to help take the punishment of hot track days until the oil cooler system is up and running.

Oh, and the BC mountain pass gods treated me to two missiles of rocks smashing my windshield during the trip! Just got my windshield replaced.
1624488371349.png

Nothing new from the HPA side of things for now though :)

Reactions: q74

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG

Attachments

• DSCF7680.jpg
    DSCF7680.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 142
  • DSCF8927.jpg
    DSCF8927.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 136

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
2 more photos (trouble uploading them)

DSCF0735 _small.jpg
DSCF9332_small.jpg

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Oil temps were getting crazy at Area 27 (mid 130C), and was getting lots of oil puked out the PCV into the turbo and making big clouds of smoke especially at turn 12.

I have an oil cooler solution in the works, but in the interim it's time for a catch can and some top tier racing oil for the next track day!
1625694427080.png

Will be at Vancouver Island Motorsport Circuit for the next track day on the 17th!

Reactions: q74

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
More and more track days! Racingline catch can is doing its job now and no more clouds of smoke at high G turns! Did another A27 and VIMC day the past few weeks with one more VIMC day in Sept.

Tire wear on my PS4S is a big issue this year and looks like I'll be getting a dedicated set of 200tw tires for tracking in 2022. Most likely Hankook RS-4, or Goodyear F1 Supercar 3.

DSCF1197.jpg

DSCF8452.jpg

DSCF2590.jpg

DSCF7836.jpg

I'm booked into HPA mid-September and will be able to share more soon!

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Great stuff. I'm looking to get into HPDE at some point. On a side note...can't wait to hear what's happing with HPA!

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Headed out to HPA to do some baseline data today.

Never really played with launch control, and ever did a dragy run before. Did about three runs, with 12.24 being the fastest of the day.
240589634_2027079007461327_9156937096903693981_n.png

I feel there's room for improvement on the launch and setup I have (could have deflated tires a bit, stiffened rear shocks, etc). If I weren't driving in mexico, and instead on a prepared surface I would probably shave even more time off.

Overall though pretty happy w/ the runs.

Fun fact too, the front brakes failed on me while trying to engage the launch control for the first run this morning. Brake pedal went to the ground while trying to activate launch control. Lifted foot and tried again, same thing. Looked at the front wheels and brake fluid was everywhere. Thank god this happened here and not while at the race track. We got it back to HPA immediately (but very slowly) and got the wheels off. The crush washers were leaking, passenger side pissing and driver's side starting to. So got them replaced and a free front brake flush before going back out. Top notch service and help from HPA!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Headed out to HPA to do some baseline data today.

Never really played with launch control, and ever did a dragy run before. Did about three runs, with 12.24 being the fastest of the day.
View attachment 224442

I feel there's room for improvement on the launch and setup I have (could have deflated tires a bit, stiffened rear shocks, etc). If I weren't driving in mexico, and instead on a prepared surface I would probably shave even more time off.

Overall though pretty happy w/ the runs.

Fun fact too, the front brakes failed on me while trying to engage the launch control for the first run this morning. Brake pedal went to the ground while trying to activate launch control. Lifted foot and tried again, same thing. Looked at the front wheels and brake fluid was everywhere. Thank god this happened here and not while at the race track. We got it back to HPA immediately (but very slowly) and got the wheels off. The crush washers were leaking, passenger side pissing and driver's side starting to. So got them replaced and a free front brake flush before going back out. Top notch service and help from HPA!
Very nice times. Did you really drive from Vancouver, BC to Mexico?

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Been a while since I've posited an update. More or less been in a holding pattern for the engine project due to circumstances outside of mine and HPA's control.

In the meantime though, I've been playing with the production prototype VADPro in-dash display, diagnostics an data logger. Been working on helping refine the dials and some of the readouts and I'm super excited to put it to the test during next track season and logging around town. It makes a P3 gauge look like a hobby project :) Fully customizable with a desktop app which lets you change everything on screen including which sensors to display.
1634166471707.png

Source https://www.instagram.com/govadpro/

All photos and videos taken while putting it through its paces in the R :)

For those watching and waiting, Roads Untraveled recently released a video with a teaser at the end from Marcel.
"The VR isn't done yet."

As always, can share details when I am allowed! Not a moment before.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Looking at a dedicated wheel and tire setup for next year's track season. Going to be springing for a set of forged wheels from Superspeed (https://www.super-speed.ca/forged-pf03rr) and a set of Hankook RS-4 Ventus to get started.

My PS4S are just getting wrecked and want to keep em usable as my daily tires in the summer. The track days are absolutely shredding the shoulders of the tire even with 2.5 degrees of front camber though I may bump up the front camber to 3 degrees next year as well.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Looking at a dedicated wheel and tire setup for next year's track season. Going to be springing for a set of forged wheels from Superspeed (https://www.super-speed.ca/forged-pf03rr) and a set of Hankook RS-4 Ventus to get started.

My PS4S are just getting wrecked and want to keep em usable as my daily tires in the summer. The track days are absolutely shredding the shoulders of the tire even with 2.5 degrees of front camber though I may bump up the front camber to 3 degrees next year as well.
How many sessions are on the PS4S? I have these tires and want to try an HPDE. I don’t think I’ll do those often but just curious if I did maybe 2 events a year how they would hold up. Mind you it would be my first time doing HPDE.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
How many sessions are on the PS4S? I have these tires and want to try an HPDE. I don’t think I’ll do those often but just curious if I did maybe 2 events a year how they would hold up. Mind you it would be my first time doing HPDE.
I got 4 lapping days in last year and the wear was really eating away the tread on the shoulder. I tried a bunch of different tire pressures to mitigate it and I guess I am just out driving the capabilities of the tire at this stage trying to go for PB's. Time to upgrade. Though to be honest, I could have gotten many more out of these tires but I want to preserve the outside tread so I can still drive it in the wet in Vancouver.

It's still a great tire and if I weren't focusing so much on consistency and reducing times I would probably stick with them.