GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

June issue Car and Driver magazine Mark 8 on the cover!

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I too miss the brochures. My new 2019 did not have one if I remember correctly.

You must down load from the site and find a decent color printer.

The mfr is cheeping out! I still have a lot of brochures that I have kept on the cars that I really liked.

You're right! I have a Golf brochure from our purchase of my wife's '17, with the Golf, GTI, R and Sportwagen all compiled into one. I'm not sure if I've seen a newer one since. I've noticed too that detailed specifications are getting buried deeper in many manufacturer's websites, often taking quite some effort to locate. They've dumbed down their websites. It's frustrating, but I guess most buyers could care less. Marketing hyperbole carries the day.

1623164209424.png

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Looks like Mazda's Soul Red, which coming from someone who doesn't like red cars, actually looks great.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Something that a car tester / writer of a motoring review might not experience during their short period with the car are the numerous software gremlins being reported by mk8 Golf owners. It seems to also be an issue with the ml8 Golf’s siblings - the latest models of the Audi A3, Skoda Octavia and Seat Leon With the same iPad style infotainment screen and (largely) buttonless, switchless interior.

There are various discussion threads over on the mk8 forum board that highlight many of the software-related issues (similar threads over on golfgtiforum.co.uk). VW have been releasing various software updates to rectify these issues, but they don’t seem to have been entirely successful 🤔 - frustrating for owners, and no doubt spoils the ownership experience. Hopefully, these gremlins will have been sorted by the time the mk8 GTI and R are on sale in USA and Canada.
That's one of my issues with non physical controls of HVAC in particular on cars.
If that system goes out, you can be in for a serious problem.
Imagine not being able to defog your windows on those occasions when it really needs to be done?
You wouldn't even be able to drive.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
That's one of my issues with non physical controls of HVAC in particular on cars.
If that system goes out, you can be in for a serious problem.
Imagine not being able to defog your windows on those occasions when it really needs to be done?
You wouldn't even be able to drive.
I mean, let me tell you about a real fucked experience with this generation of golf...

New Golf R in 2015. Wife and I decide to visit her cousin in DC and drive down the blue ridge parkway after to the smokeys. Midway through jersey our ac stops blowing cold. We stop at Smith vw in Delaware (ironically one of the few dealers in the country who may have been able to solve the problem) to find that the TOTALLY UNPROTECTED ac condenser has taken a rock to it causing irreparable failure. The part is 4 days away and we're on a timeline 400miles from home. So we continue on, on a 90 degree day in a torrential downpour. Talk about unsafe, the car is nearly 100 degrees inside and I can't open the windows.

We made it to DC but it sucked and was dangerous.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, I've had plenty of HVAC issues with dumb gauges, the Mk8 might introduce some new things, but it's hardly going to be Armageddon.

I had an Eclipse GST that had about an hour's worth of a/c if it was over 100. Lot of good that did me in Texas. I could drive about half way from Dallas to Austin before it would freeze up and then it was sweatin' time.

That little shitbox also wouldn't start the next time after driving through even a small puddle or if it rained. Water near the intake? Better park on a hill and pop the clutch to get going, no amount of praying to the starter gods was going to help. It had other issues, but a big, digital screen wasn't one of them.

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
I had a Tornado Red 90 Corrado G60 back in the late 90’s. It looked so good after wax. It got so hot in California sun - I once saw a hornet land on the roof and do this agonizing death dance and it croaked. Tornado lol

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
They look like they have a moustache, compared to the previous generation. The power numbers look good, still not a fan of the interior and front end, and the wheels aren't great looking, though wheels are easy to change anyway.

I don't know that I get the hate on the red though. I think the factory colors look alright, though I'd like to see some more variety. It'll be interesting to see what we see stateside.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
DAP posted this. As mentioned before, looks like the Mazda red. As I get older I actually really like red cars. I don’t see myself purchasing one but I think they look sharp. I have to agree the Tornado red fits the GTI much better. View attachment 216286
It looks more than Mazda red, it actually looks like a Mazda 3.

OLD MEN RULE

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I have a nice set of AUDI wheels for my MK8 GTI. As that was my first mod that I did on the MK7.5 GTI.
Since most replace there ugly (IMHO) oem wheels. I wish that we could get steel wheels with wheel covers
that would be good for the winter months.

drewsro

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't mind the red all that much, but I'd never own a red car myself if I had a choice. So far the only color on the MK8 that I would be ok with is the Moonstone Grey, though even that is not all that special looking. If they carried Cornflower Blue over, which it doesn't look like, I would probably buy one. So back to searching for a 2021 instead.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I mean, let me tell you about a real fucked experience with this generation of golf...

New Golf R in 2015. Wife and I decide to visit her cousin in DC and drive down the blue ridge parkway after to the smokeys. Midway through jersey our ac stops blowing cold. We stop at Smith vw in Delaware (ironically one of the few dealers in the country who may have been able to solve the problem) to find that the TOTALLY UNPROTECTED ac condenser has taken a rock to it causing irreparable failure. The part is 4 days away and we're on a timeline 400miles from home. So we continue on, on a 90 degree day in a torrential downpour. Talk about unsafe, the car is nearly 100 degrees inside and I can't open the windows.

We made it to DC but it sucked and was dangerous.

Wow.
That is one hell of a scary situation.