GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which lowering springs should I go with?

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Mayo (not the fake shit) on the windshield. Buff off with a wet napkin from subway. So slick and fills in all the scratches.

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
That's the thing...they are opinions. Most will recommend what they have or like. A lot of the lowering springs are designed around the stock dampers. Some companies will list their spring rates. If you look...the rates are not significantly higher than the stock. At only 20k miles...I think your stock dampers will be ok. Will they perform like aftermarket ones...nope...but will work "fine" for street driving and spirited driving here and there.

Regarding coilovers. If you live in a place where it snows a lot and the roads are salted. There is a good chance that after a while they will start to corrode...and the adjusting collars can seize up on you. If you set and forget...it won't be a big deal...but if you want to adjust...seized collars can be a huge headache.

Thanks! Definitely towards a spring/strut combo vs coil overs after doing some more research. Seems to suit my needs more.

I'm leaning towards H&R OE or EIbach Pro Kit at the moment as they seem to pair better with Bilstein B6 or Koni yellows

I'm noticing that most springs will cause the car to have a "reverse rake" look. Are all you guys running MQB or TT spring pads?

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Thanks! Definitely towards a spring/strut combo vs coil overs after doing some more research. Seems to suit my needs more.

I'm leaning towards H&R OE or EIbach Pro Kit at the moment as they seem to pair better with Bilstein B6 or Koni yellows

I'm noticing that most springs will cause the car to have a "reverse rake" look. Are all you guys running MQB or TT spring pads?
For reverse rake, I think it depends on whether you are DSG or MT. DSGs are heaver in the front and that can cause them to sit lower, balancing out reverse rake.

Drincc

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
For reverse rake, I think it depends on whether you are DSG or MT. DSGs are heaver in the front and that can cause them to sit lower, balancing out reverse rake.

In my case, it still reverse raked more than I'd wanted and I still installed the TT pads despite being DSG. On top of frequently carrying cargo/people, the extra clearance doesn't catch side eye from the overzealous cops in my city.

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
In my case, it still reverse raked more than I'd wanted and I still installed the TT pads despite being DSG. On top of frequently carrying cargo/people, the extra clearance doesn't catch side eye from the overzealous cops in my city.

What springs are you on? I'm narrowing it down to H&R OE or Eibach Pro kit (not sure US or Euro version yet) and still deciding on changing out my dampers or not.

Also just came across APR which seems to be another option. 0.75~1" drop and doesn't seem to have reverse rake issues.