GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New 2021s still arriving at dealers?

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
I am stuck at the crossroads myself, we just sold our Rav4 because my wife wants the new Tiguan with 3rd seating.
Until we get one she will be driving the GTI. In theory, she can drive the GTI until Nov/Dec of this year. But at some point we will need the Tiguan.
There are some local to us, in used condition, but we were so accustomed to getting amazing deals. New cars aren’t incentivized anymore because of low supply.
Will the situation get better at the end of the year? Who knows what will even happen tomorrow!

spaceworm

Passed Driver's Ed
Check out this clip taking about a note in automotive news regarding the production impact on specific models. Your Tiguan is there with an estimated 12,000 units impacted. Keep the GTI and see what happens at the end of year, but I am reading from execs at major manufacturers recognizing that chip shortage will still be an issue for the next 12 months, and that means prices will still be high at best until end of Q1 2022.

Last edited:

68wooley

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG/DCC
It makes more sense now because I bought it last April and it’s only got 6900 miles so the current situation has basically eliminated the initial depreciation hit. Normal times I'd have to bring money to the table to sell this soon since I put nothing down because of 0% APR.
I bought my 2019 R 6 weeks ago. First registered 11/19 with 8300 miles on it. Paid $39,000 for it CPO, so I'm guessing you'll be good.

RXXXII

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 VW GTI Autobahn
At the current sales rate, 2021 GTI's will be sold out in early July.

1622214284239.png

Current Inventory (cars.com as of 5/28/21)
2021 GTI - All TrimsBoth TransmissionsManualDSG
All Colors58760527
Black25922237
White22627199
Red46739
Blue55451

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
At the current sales rate, 2021 GTI's will be sold out in early July.

View attachment 215023

Current Inventory (cars.com as of 5/28/21)
2021 GTI - All TrimsBoth TransmissionsManualDSG
All Colors58760527
Black25922237
White22627199
Red46739
Blue55451
Certainly makes me think the manual will get the axe sometime before the Mk8.5 rolls around. There's just not enough of us to keep this going and the R only gets the manual in the North American market, and possibly the GTI too. My plans to wait on a second year R may need to move to first year.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Check out this clip taking about a note in automotive news regarding the production impact on specific models. Your Tiguan is there with an estimated 12,000 units impacted. Keep the GTI and see what happens at the end of year, but I am reading from execs at major manufacturers recognizing that chip shortage will still be an issue for the next 12 months, and that means prices will still be high at best until end of Q1 2022.
Wonderful...

I do not want to buy new, but if used prices are still abnormally high then it may make sense to buy new. Financially I still want to be below 22k and not have to finance at all.
Interesting times we live in, looks like I will continue waiting.

cb1111

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I know it's not exactly valuable, but VW USA has said the Mk8 GTI and R would have manuals, at least initially. My car has AEB now, as does just about every current car available with a manual. I realize the coding and development for such systems are unlikely to be worthwhile for fringe cars like ours. The Miata, Boxster, 86/BRZ, Wrangler, Bronco and possibly 911 will continue on, but I do think the GTI and R won't make it to the Mk8.5 with the manual.

The M2 and M3 are likely on the last model with manuals too, which will take BMW out of the game, I just don't see VW continuing to offer manuals for two cars in the US and CA only for much longer.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I wonder how this might someday affect resale worth of our manual transmission MK7.5s? Either they'll be increasingly valued by venturesome enthusiasts or be priced at scrap value by a disinterested generation.

I suppose I hardly care. I'm 60+ years old and chose the 6MT to enjoy one last shot at my 40+ years driving manuals. I bought the car for my enjoyment and am not worrying with it beyond. (y)

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I looked at Autotrader.com and Cars.com to find that there are roughly 500 Ea 2021 GTIs remaining on Dealer lots (516 per Autotrader and 476 per Cars). Of these, only 35 are manuals (36 per Autotrader and 34 per Cars). I wonder if Dealers will begin to covet their manuals with less willingness to negotiate as manual inventory thins?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Certainly makes me think the manual will get the axe sometime before the Mk8.5 rolls around. There's just not enough of us to keep this going and the R only gets the manual in the North American market, and possibly the GTI too. My plans to wait on a second year R may need to move to first year.
By the time the MK8.5 rolls out they might all be electric cars.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I am stuck at the crossroads myself, we just sold our Rav4 because my wife wants the new Tiguan with 3rd seating.
Until we get one she will be driving the GTI. In theory, she can drive the GTI until Nov/Dec of this year. But at some point we will need the Tiguan.
There are some local to us, in used condition, but we were so accustomed to getting amazing deals. New cars aren’t incentivized anymore because of low supply.
Will the situation get better at the end of the year? Who knows what will even happen tomorrow!

The Tiguan is the most soulless, boring, shitbox we have had in quite some time. It was so lame we ended up dumping the lease 10mo early for an Alltrack.