GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Car took top pax locally on Sunday in pretty messy wet conditions. Felt like the car was never pointed straight, but I guess fast is fast. The yoks had a ton of steady-state grip too
That's awesome. You take any video

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
STH runs on Tuesday and Wednesday for Nationals.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I'm planning on it, but getting my car there could be difficult. I'll be on the west coast until at least Sunday prior to Nationals.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I'll probably be in, depends how I'm feeling about my setup later in the summer

I'm planning on it, but getting my car there could be difficult. I'll be on the west coast until at least Sunday prior to Nationals.
It would be great to compare setups at the test-n-tune course.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
It would be great to compare setups at the test-n-tune course.
If my car is there we'll make this happen. I'm considering adding front bar or subtracting rear bar, so our setups may be even closer than they are now.

Agreed - my guess is that my setup will be a tad undersprung and a little tight on Lincoln's concrete, but probably workable.
It may all be in my head but Lincoln is the loosest site I've been on.

eSienk

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
If my car is there we'll make this happen. I'm considering adding front bar or subtracting rear bar, so our setups may be even closer than they are now.

You're not imagining things. I agree about the loose-itidy of that site. I've driven cars that were perfectly balanced at every event of the year only to come to Nat's to drift around like a buffoon.

Also, I plan on attending this year.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

I don’t know, my rear sticks more here than anywhere else. 🤷

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Off the top of my head, Mike King HS and Donnie Lowe GS.
Sorry for beating a dead horse but this accounts for 2 jackets, both Mike in HS, since Stock -> Street. Both in a car without an independent rear suspension, and a car where people (not necessarily Mike) have made tire choices based on their risk to roll over. And a TCA car where they run Conti slicks right...on a race track...

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Sorry for beating a dead horse but this accounts for 2 jackets, both Mike in HS, since Stock -> Street. Both in a car without an independent rear suspension, and a car where people (not necessarily Mike) have made tire choices based on their risk to roll over. And a TCA car where they run Conti slicks right...on a race track...

But you do keep beating a dead horse.

Stagger is an important and often used tool in tuning a race car, whether RWD or FWD. Period.

I'm not even sure how it's debatable? But keep beating that horse.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Finally speccing out Ohlins (stock issues, yay!) Probably going with the older, basically-stock-ride-height version but I'm fine with that. Thinking keeping stock front (70N/mm - 400lb/in), revalved and up-sprung rear (110N/mm - 635lb/in). Puts my roll couple somewhere around 64% including my roll bars, with adjustment to go softer rear/stiffer front. Revalve should allow me to go up to about 130N/mm (740lb/in) before I start having problems with underdamping.

This all seem reasonable in an R that also sees a lot of DD use?

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Ok..how about Ron Williams? 255 front, 215 rear in the civic last month, in Lincoln.

Or how about the Audi RS3. It runs a stagger from the factory.