GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
So for tuning my shocks, if the rear hits hard bumps and fells like its a go cart and wants to get airborn would that mean I should soften the shock adjustment? Like when you say bouncy do you mean it hits a bump and then lots of flow up - up /down motion ensues, or bumpy feeling like it’s got really limited travel bumpy?

If it bounces too much and it wants to get airborne, you would want stiffer shocks as there's not enough rebound control to prevent spring oscillation. If it feels like the springs have limited travel you have too much rebound (shocks too stiff) and the shock is preventing the spring from extending back to its natural state.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You guys all have me thinking about just selling my coilovers that are still just sitting in their box, haha.

Why? Just don't over lower the car. The front suspension shouldn't really be any lower than it is in a stock R or CS. This platform and the geometry were optimized for an economy car, it was never meant to be lowered as much as most people do.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Quality helps a lot too. I put cheap coilovers on my mk4 and slammed them all the way down. I was low enough my skid plate would rub against every speed bump and that car drove like ass. I spent more on the coilovers on my mk6 and then gave it only a moderate drop and never really had any complaints.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
#FuckPollen

1622139096745.png

This was washed 2 days ago...

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
So for tuning my shocks, if the rear hits hard bumps and fells like its a go cart and wants to get airborn would that mean I should soften the shock adjustment? Like when you say bouncy do you mean it hits a bump and then lots of flow up - up /down motion ensues, or bumpy feeling like it’s got really limited travel bumpy?
i think this a4 video is a good example to answer your question

tldw: yes, softer to absorb the bumps and maintain grip

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Why? Just don't over lower the car. The front suspension shouldn't really be any lower than it is in a stock R or CS. This platform and the geometry were optimized for an economy car, it was never meant to be lowered as much as most people do.
I bought the Dinan coilovers when they liquidated them after being bought by the same company as APR. Spring rates are only 10% higher than stock and they are adjustable up to stock height, but I'm really only looking to take 1/2" or so off the ride height, so that's about in line with a golf r. I was going to wait until 60-80k miles when the stock stuff would need to be replaced anyway. It'll be interesting because I can't find reviews of them anywhere; they might be terrible rebranded solowerks, or they could be great. I guess I'll find out the hard way.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I bought the Dinan coilovers when they liquidated them after being bought by the same company as APR. Spring rates are only 10% higher than stock and they are adjustable up to stock height, but I'm really only looking to take 1/2" or so off the ride height, so that's about in line with a golf r. I was going to wait until 60-80k miles when the stock stuff would need to be replaced anyway. It'll be interesting because I can't find reviews of them anywhere; they might be terrible rebranded solowerks, or they could be great. I guess I'll find out the hard way.

They're not rebranded Solowerks. That's what I thought at first, but they have completely different specs.

I've been running them for probably 40k miles. I don't have a lot of basis of comparison, but I don't find them uncomfortable at all and they perform great. Lots of back roads. Some Auto-X. I drive aggressively and they've held up well.

They have a lot of height adjustability. I've been 1.5" lower than GTI, but currently at 0.5" lower than GTI and you can raise them up even more if you wanted. I don't think they would go much lower though if that's what you're after.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Lowered my last two cars on static suspensions. First was Billstein/H&R Sport second was Koni/Eibach Sport and regretting both due to how low they were which in reality wasn't even that low compared to a lot of you. Just hated dragging my exhaust in parking garages and nipping the front lip in heavy corners.

This time around I went with EQT coilovers and did a slightly lower height. More cared about the adjustable dampeners so I could adjust it accordingly for what I was driving. Been much happier this time with all the adjust ability.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I stuck on a Maxton spoiler cap and snapped a pic of the mud flaps I installed the other day.

Attachments

• 0FA6FBAD-91B7-4344-971F-9F8D51BE35C4.jpeg
    0FA6FBAD-91B7-4344-971F-9F8D51BE35C4.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 91
  • D4937199-6405-4D0A-A3F3-833268DEF3E3.jpeg
    D4937199-6405-4D0A-A3F3-833268DEF3E3.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 99

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You and @Acadia18 asked me to let you know what I think about the ECS coilovers I got. Now that I've driven it over 500 miles is there anything specific you want to know?

I had them set to the highest setting which is 1" lower than stock and set the 32 way adjustable dampers in the middle. You wouldn't think that 1" lower would be significant but probably the first 20 or so times I got out of the car my foot would smash into the ground because getting in and out of my car literally thousands of times you instinctively know where the ground is. 😂

I'm very impressed with them especially considering the cost. Along with the suspension bracing I've done the car is far more capable in handling than my skill level. Before the coilovers I knew the limits of the car and now it exceeds my capability when driving on regular streets and curves. If I was on a track I could explore the limit without worrying about spinning out.

If I hit a sharp bump it is pretty harsh and I'm thinking about softening the damper setting. Overall the car is a joy to drive and I don't regret getting them.