GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RacingLine Golf MK7 Oil Cooler

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Last bit before I split the threads, here's how the plunger works (the non-essential stuff I didn't model).

VW MQB Oil Filter Assembly_12.jpg

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
This is great stuff! Let us know where the new thread will appear.

Track days this last weekend in 70 deg low humidity weather and I still hit 270 deg oil temps on an unmodified engine. Really need some cooling help!

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Bumping this one back after a month, does anyone know the dimensions of the existing rubber isolators from the mounting kit? Looking to install a 16-row cooler and know I need to buy shorter isolators so curious of how tall the current ones are and if M8 or M10 sizing to fit the existing bracket. If folks have put in a bigger cooler, what size isolator did you end up with?

Think my plan is the RL kit with the BRZ spacer and Mocal thermostat with a Setrab 16 row. I bought the full iAbed kit since I had an FMIC and actually scrapping that whole idea since I'm tracking it more and want a stock mount IC so this will make life much easier. If anyone is looking for the iAbed oil cooler plate for the MK7 GTI, 10' of AN8 line and 5' of AN10 line or a Mocal inline thermostat then let me know.

Navi

Autocross Champion

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
that's pretty much the kit I was running. BRZ spacer and Setrab thermostat, with setrab 16 row. I used these spacers:

4 X M6 Anti Vibration Rubber Bobbin Mounts 20X10Mm Male Boat Car Damper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TYY13...abc_39KYVHYM6Y0H4F46CYY9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Perfect thanks. Did you run your cooler upright/normal or do any sort of banjo fittings and/or flipped the cooler for clearance reasons? Use the RL kit AN lines or run your own?

Seeing if you had changed anything since your earlier posts/pics in this thread. Also was there an issue with the Mocal thermostat that came with the spacer kit that made you use the Setrab?

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I’ve actually changed the whole setup and moved the thermostat and filter to behind the bumper
Great ok last question, is your thermostat sandwich plate rated to open at 185 degrees like most I see or higher like 205/215 for track use?

Navi

Autocross Champion
Great ok last question, is your thermostat sandwich plate rated to open at 185 degrees like most I see or higher like 205/215 for track use?
185*

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Thanks, got everything installed today without major issues. iABED baffled oil pan and the Racingline oil cooler kit with the Mocal thermostat and a 16 row Setrab cooler using the BRZ spacer. Cooler fits great in the bumper with the 10mm smaller rubber dampeners. Cobalt drill bits made the crash bar work simple going from 1/8 to 3/16 to 1/4, this really isn't a big deal with the right bits, maybe 5 minutes per hole. Take it slow and spray PB Blaster on it.

Have a spulen V2 catch can and this required me to dremel out the CC aluminum mount connected to the engine mount to allow more movement from the thermostat since the AN lines were pinching the large coolant return.

Overall works great and a really nice setup. Will maybe use the original 10 row cooler to setup a DSG cooler on the other side of the grille.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Thanks, got everything installed today without major issues. iABED baffled oil pan and the Racingline oil cooler kit with the Mocal thermostat and a 16 row Setrab cooler using the BRZ spacer. Cooler fits great in the bumper with the 10mm smaller rubber dampeners. Cobalt drill bits made the crash bar work simple going from 1/8 to 3/16 to 1/4, this really isn't a big deal with the right bits, maybe 5 minutes per hole. Take it slow and spray PB Blaster on it.

Have a spulen V2 catch can and this required me to dremel out the CC aluminum mount connected to the engine mount to allow more movement from the thermostat since the AN lines were pinching the large coolant return.

Overall works great and a really nice setup. Will maybe use the original 10 row cooler to setup a DSG cooler on the other side of the grille.
Where did you position the cooler?
Center of the grill or offset towards the passenger side?

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Where did you position the cooler?
Center of the grill or offset towards the passenger side?
Offset towards passenger, I used the Racingline precut AN lines from the kit and that's as far as they would go. The Mocal thermostat uses standard AN-10 male adapters so I had to change one fitting on both Racingline AN lines to -10 female that I had lying around.

From the pics, you can see how much better a banjo fitting would be since these connections are pressed against the bottom of the crash bar.

20210528_142936.jpg20210530_153252.jpg16225095976428841478591452621915.jpg16225096856522255267691968902138.jpg16225097683677495091963770693579.jpg

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Thanks for posting the photos. These are helpful. Did you have to remove the radiator air guide. The plastic trim pieces, to run the lines?

How was fitment with the front bumper skin? Is part of the cooler obscured?