Catch Can Filling Up Too Fast When Tracking

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Last edited:

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like I was voted. Shall I create a new post or post the results here? I'll have the track data so it should appeal to every audience

ZijinLi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI Mk7.5
I'm assuming the plumbing with an aftermarket catch can would be pcv plate to catchcan and catchcan to oil pan? And block off the hole in the inlet pipe
I think instead of catch can, you need an oil/air separator. Then oil back to pan, air back to intake. Also not sure if anyone have done it.

ZijinLi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI Mk7.5
Also, does anyone know the amount of oil (how many ml) that the Spulen V2 catch can is capable of catching without going over the baffle plate inside the can? I guess once the oil go over the baffle in the can, the whole system is not working anyome.
I asked Spulen but even they couldn't give me a number. Wondering if anyone actually measured it.

rexneffect

Ready to race!
VWR PCV plate and catch can went into the car a year ago
Hi Cliff.
Are you draining can and adding oil every 20min w the VWR system? I am with CTS. Maybe worse than stock. Or did vwr improve situation at least?

Do you have a 2015?

Any thoughts on the new apr pcv plate design?

rexneffect

Ready to race!
that's the key point there. High G is where it happens. normal driving ur fine. also the CTS one was Shit.
Have you driven w them all on the same track? (Stock, cts, spulen, etc)? How much worse was the CTS one than the others? That's the one I have and it fills up in 30min on track. Was thinking to try a different one :/

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Have you driven w them all on the same track? (Stock, cts, spulen, etc)? How much worse was the CTS one than the others? That's the one I have and it fills up in 30min on track. Was thinking to try a different one :/
Really its a case of the CTS one just not being proper if you are using it for track purposes. The Spulen or Racingline are still the only top options worth it due to their designs. I would def go spulen feel free to use our team code to save some money of one.Been a happy 3+ years using this unit. Hope that was helpful.

loudspl

Car(s)
GLI, GTI, TDI
Way back in the old MKIV TDI days, most of the higher-hp TDIs would just vent to atmosphere using a large coolant hose routed toward the ground. No catch-can or return routing needed.
If you had a fair amount of blowby, it would smoke like a bastard, but most of these cars were already smoking from large injectors, straight pipe, etc. so it didn't really make much difference :D

I can see how it may not be acceptable on a track or environmentally-friendly, but isn't it a simple solution? 🤷‍♂️

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
I briefly had a CTS can on and it would fill up in like 50 miles of street driving with a just a few redline pulls. The dipstick would read low as well, it was just sucking almost straight oil it seemed. I took it off and went with the newer part number OEM PCV

rexneffect

Ready to race!
I briefly had a CTS can on and it would fill up in like 50 miles of street driving with a just a few redline pulls. The dipstick would read low as well, it was just sucking almost straight oil it seemed. I took it off and went with the newer part number OEM PCV
Any track days on the new pcv? Thanks. Pretty sure I'll be trying a different option at least- maybe the newer pcv