GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Unsolicited pic drop!

8C08E8EC-D47F-4AFD-86DD-181D52B957F6.jpeg

2A348428-053C-4BE7-B3A4-B60D12461AA4.jpeg

15578381-AB0E-4477-8E61-0F4D13ED4278.jpeg

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I forget, is the engine in your ZLE completely stock or have you done some mods to it?
Stock, keeping the warranty on this one since GM will cover it even if it blows up on track 😬

Just has a CAI and AWE catback and some rear toe links

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Well I took the IS38 to get balanced and they said there shouldn't be any need. I mainly took it because some of the sealant from the coldside was kind of coming out but they said it's just the excess that gets mushed out when they build the turbo. Thought it was neat though, if I wanted them to completely rebuild it, it would've only been like $350.

So, time to order a China intercooler, and once that's here, spend a day or two installing it, along with the IS38, a new vacuum pump, some various coolant connections and fix an exhaust rattle. :D

Oh, and the Clubsport bumper still needs another front lip 🤦‍♂️

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Well I took the IS38 to get balanced and they said there shouldn't be any need. I mainly took it because some of the sealant from the coldside was kind of coming out but they said it's just the excess that gets mushed out when they build the turbo. Thought it was neat though, if I wanted them to completely rebuild it, it would've only been like $350.

So, time to order a China intercooler, and once that's here, spend a day or two installing it, along with the IS38, a new vacuum pump, some various coolant connections and fix an exhaust rattle. :D

Oh, and the Clubsport bumper still needs another front lip 🤦‍♂️
Back for round 2?

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Why are you still messing with that GTI. Junk it before the catch can starts filling with oil.
Why would I trash a perfectly good daily!
Back for round 2?
Yes. Except I'm going back to where it was pre-engine build and leaving it there. 😬
Just read this whole thread and jeez you are one unlucky mf
With this car it sure seemed like it. But these E888's are also just finicky POS princesses

I've clutched a first place season win with the ZL1 1LE in the time attack competition I'm doing this year. Hit a 1:20.8 on 220tw tires last event at Motorsport Ranch Cresson 1.7 CCW for anyone familiar with the track. I never thought I'd see 1:20's... that is a fast time! And the car just fkin works. Cannot say enough good things about it. Goal is to hit 1:19's on these tires and then throw the OE 100tw tires back on and see how quick I can get.

Full vid if anyone is interested with lap times linked:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
More GTI news: As of today she is officially IS38 all over again, with a Majesty intercooler! List of things completed last couple weekends:
  • IS38 installed!
    • Using Eurodyne Maestro IS38 base file with NLS (so nice not having to pay for different tune files with Eurodyne)
  • Majesty intercooler installed. It's huge!
  • Added some super duper sweet OEM VW spinner caps on the wheels! 😂 (not pictured)
  • New(er) vacuum pump installed as mine was breaking
  • Coolant leak fixed
  • Several coolant lines replaced as they were getting chewed up over the years of pulling everything apart and putting it back together
  • Oil change
  • Boost leak fixed
    • So my N80 was letting boost through after 10psi, creating a massive boost leak. I have the VWR can/plate installed which doesn't include a check valve in the line that runs from the PCV plate to the N80. This was a newer N80 too, and I can't help but to wonder how many others have this issue and don't realize it since not all aftermarket catch can/PCV plates come with a check valve there. I found one I had laying around for a fuel line and figured I'd try it out, and it works perfect. Did a boost leak test and everything is holding solid to 32psi

Check valve:
IMG_0854.JPG

Check valve installed:
IMG_0858.JPG

Moar Pics!
IMG_0700 (Edited).JPG

IMG_0758.JPG

It was at this point I remembered why I bought a different car that I don't need to mod to go fast
IMG_0765.JPG

Majesty vs. OEM GTI IC
IMG_0761.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG

Test drive was successful. Super fun! Glad to have all of the small reliability issues fixed again, like the coolant leaks and vacuum pump. Until next time!

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Is the MK4 still jelly in the corner

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
just read the entire thread, what a ride. i thought @Acadia18's thread was a nail biter, jesus queb. what a ride. props to you for sticking to it. and ending up with 2 really good cars.