GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LSD Recommendations for GTI: Wavetrac, Peloquin, any others?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
What were the exact differences you noticed after installing an LSD?

Biggest difference is how it pulls you through corners when accelerating. It's like there's a rope pulling you into the corner as you accelerate. In autocross in long sweepers, could definitely feel it. It's like it's a rwd car kicking the rear out.

Also helped with traction when accelerating, so there's less wheelspin. Not to say it's gone. There's only so much grip available especially in fwd.

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
Wavetrac on the street made a monumental difference compared to my non-pp open diff.

Trying to make a right hand turn up a hill on wet uneven pavement used to be a struggle. Now it feels like the car is AWD in the exact same spot -- it's simply 100% grip.

On the track, it's not even comparable -- complete transformation.

It's relatively expensive, so I would only recommend it if you're trying to improve the corner exit acceleration. i.e. autocross, hpde/time attack.

It's the best modification I've done.

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
Wavetrac on the street made a monumental difference compared to my non-pp open diff.

Trying to make a right hand turn up a hill on wet uneven pavement used to be a struggle. Now it feels like the car is AWD in the exact same spot -- it's simply 100% grip.

It's relatively expensive, so I would only recommend it if you're trying to improve the corner exit acceleration. i.e. autocross, hpde/time attack.

I just got done installing an Mfactory LSD into my MKV 02Q: https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/index.php?threads/2006-gti-lsd-install-pics-and-insights.384312/ Finally got the wheels aligned and summer wheels on and took it to the mountains yesterday. Putting down the power (300whp) much better, especially coming out of corners and uneven pavement. It also changed the steering feel - the wheel wants to return to center more and it pulls dead straight under load, no torque steer. I was able to get the diff for about 20% off through the Mfactory website. Feel free to reach out for advice if anyone wants to attempt the job themselves.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Here is one thread comparing different LSD -vs- the VAQ unit....

Performance Pack vs. WaveTrac - Direct Comparison (drivetribe.com)

Wavetrac seem to get around the preload problem in a much smoother way than most other types of diffs...eg clutch type or other geared type...

most units inc. Wavetrac can be altered to suit using different oil viscosities or friction materials in the end plates etc...
Thanks for sharing this... based on my read of the DriveTribe article I'm gonna start by changing the VAQ to "high traction" and see how things play out. Will leave XDS alone as that seems to be consensus and am still needing this to be my daily-driver.

JL33T

Ready to race!
Was quoted extra 350 if you’re already doing the clutch at the same time

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Another thing you should consider is if your transmission grenades due to you stripping a gear, only one of those will survive - Peloquin.

Why is that? Shredded my 3rd gear, but my wavetrac was fine

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Read it. Don't have enough knowledge to see why an ATB would be ruined when a transmission goes bad. Can you explain

From what I've seen searching on the internet, because I need to get one, the Wavetrac being a geared type LSD has its gears sitting at the side of the diff which meshes with the driveshaft. Since it meshes with the driveshaft, if that goes so does the Wavetrac, in theory. But, I could be wrong since I'm not an expert at LSDs.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

I won't argue the benefit of an actual LSD, it's definitely great.

But I love that your example is such an obscure scenario.

"Bro, get one! It totally makes a difference! Making a right hand turn, up a hill, on wet, uneven pavement?! No problem at all my man! Smooth as butter!"

Like that is a scenario that one encounters every time they get behind their wheel lol.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I won't argue the benefit of an actual LSD, it's definitely great.

But I love that your example is such an obscure scenario.

"Bro, get one! It totally makes a difference! Making a right hand turn, up a hill, on wet, uneven pavement?! No problem at all my man! Smooth as butter!"

Like that is a scenario that one encounters every time they get behind their wheel lol.
If your driveway is all sorts of fucked...