GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the rear subframe harmonic damper from the Audi A3 Saloon (2013->)

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
Fitted Harmonic Damper yesterday we have a 400 mile round trip next week so that should be a good test.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I will say that after having mine on for a week now I have noticed a difference. No more occasional odd noises from the rear.

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
So I decided to fit the balance weight. It fits on Mk 7.5 (I had issues to fit some under covers that fitted pre-facelifted versions). Maybe there is some improvement but hard to say given the fact that I've fitted full under covers and some noise insulation. Maybe rough tarmac is not that noisy any more.

The most striking fact for me...I've bought pre-owned part for a half price from a close member of domestic forum (he used that only for few months and sold the car), and there are already some signs of rust. Pretty unsual for cast iron but Made in France label explain everything.

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
Fitted Harmonic Damper last week and we did about 500 miles round trip maybe a little quieter but still my 1.5 tsi STARTS to get noisey above 75 - 80 MPH.

It is a shame because up to 75 MPH it is a joy to drive and quite smooth sounding.

i will start to fit these Aero panels under the car next.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Fitted Harmonic Damper last week and we did about 500 miles round trip maybe a little quieter but still my 1.5 tsi STARTS to get noisey above 75 - 80 MPH.

It is a shame because up to 75 MPH it is a joy to drive and quite smooth sounding.

Aero panels will help alot...also what tyres you got?

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
What helped me the most to filter noise was to lift the rear bench a put couple of plates of Gladen aero multi under it – very easy job (relatively cheap too) and even found some paw patrol toys that my boys have lost long time ago.

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5

I have the factory original Dunlop Sport Max RT 225/40/18 on the rears and New Dunlop Sport Max RT2 on the front which i think are noiseier than the RT. Set at 34 PSI cold.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have the factory original Dunlop Sport Max RT 225/40/18 on the rears and New Dunlop Sport Max RT2 on the front which i think are noiseier than the RT. Set at 34 PSI cold.

Those are supposed to be fairly quiet...better than the old Bridgestone's that the early Mk7 Golfs like mine came with!!

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
To date i have used Thinsulate on all 4 doors and tailgate and Noico on the boot floor and under rear seat floor area.
This has helped a bit but i still have not found the real source of the droning at speed above 75 - 80 MPH.
Sprayed under wheel arches with sound deadening spray and even renewed front wheel bearings last month.
Fitted Harmonic damper last week.

Maybe i need to go back he boot and rear seat area again with THICKER/BETTER insulation before i start on the Aero bits underneath ??

What do you guys advise.

S-4Motion

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen 4Mo
To date i have used Thinsulate on all 4 doors and tailgate and Noico on the boot floor and under rear seat floor area.
This has helped a bit but i still have not found the real source of the droning at speed above 75 - 80 MPH.
Sprayed under wheel arches with sound deadening spray and even renewed front wheel bearings last month.

Maybe i need to go back he boot and rear seat area again with THICKER/BETTER insulation before i start on the Aero bits underneath ??

What do you guys advise.
If you redo the boot you're not going over old work, but it'll be cheaper than getting all the under body stuff.
I'd say underbody stuff so you're moving forward, rather than treading old ground.

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Well those under covers will also give you modest improvement of stability plus a large portion of a good feeling thanks to enhanced protection. So go for it.

Be aware not to fit too thick layer under the rear bench - to be able to fit it back

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
I have a crazy suggestion to make.
What would you guys think if i took out the rear seat base again and crammed that that rear seat area with blankets and towel anything
really to fill it out with material and then took it down the motorway just to test.

Would that work or is it a stupid idea?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

What do you guys advise.

Nope not had to do any of that to my car....& its still quiet at speeds higher than that.....(when I'm overtaking quickly)..

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
Is my crazy idea worth a go try and pinpoint source of most noise?

What do you think guys?.