GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Official" Lap Times Thread

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Thanks! It was a Speed SF event. There was a fair number of other cars on track, but I somehow managed to get a lap with no traffic whatsoever. The whole run group must've been bunched up on the opposite side!

The setup resulted in around -2.6° camber up front. I was still getting a lot of outer edge tire wear and for whatever reason, the ohlins upper spring bearing seems to be separating or somehow failing causing some serious spring bind. My height adjusters came loose after the event and I have a constant popping sound I am assuming from the spring bind. Just ordered a set of Vorshlag plates since there's no way they can be noisier than how it is currently. I likely should have played around with this setup a bit more, but the Vorshlags just seemed like the easiest option and have some additional advantages...
Nice, I was at LS with Speed SF on the 18th, it was very crowded though. Should’ve asked to move up a group tbh, I spent most of the day in traffic.

Interesting you are still getting that much outside tire wear with 2.6 camber. Although when I had the same continental tires I recall having the same issue, I think only had about 1 degree camber at the time though.

Some 245s/255s with a 9” wheel will make a big difference. I’m running 255 on a 9” wheel right now and am getting nice even wear with 2.5F/2.0R camber. Much more lateral grip too.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Track name: Laguna Seca
Track location: Monterey, CA
Lap time: 1:49.47
Year/model: 2018 GTI
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3150lbs?
Estimated wheel horsepower: APR Stage 1 HT
Fuel: 91 Oct.
Tire size and model: 225/40-18 Continental Extreme Contact Sport
Estimated ambient temperature: About 68 degrees
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): MK7.5 GTI with performance pack, APR Stage 1 HT Tune/TCU Tune, Ohlins R&T, CSS knuckles, Neuspeed RSB, EuroSport offset strut mounts, CSF Radiator, AMS Intercooler, Ferodo DS2500, Motul RBF 600

First track day in the GTI. Tires were not up to the task. I was running fairly high pressure to try and prevent outer edge wear so I would be able to drive home. Still had a lot of fun and looking forward to getting some better/wider tires!

Thats an amazing time on what appears to be OE tires!

for the CSS knuckles, did you have to get the Audi bearings or did the OEM bearings work?

I didn't read about any BBK so I assume they are PP brakes? If so, they hold up ok on DS2500 pads?

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Thats an amazing time on what appears to be OE tires!

for the CSS knuckles, did you have to get the Audi bearings or did the OEM bearings work?

I didn't read about any BBK so I assume they are PP brakes? If so, they hold up ok on DS2500 pads?
Oem tire size, but continental extreme contact sport, so definitely better than the actual oem tires. I did reuse my own VW wheel bearings as they were in good condition. They fit perfectly and from what I've read are the same as the Audi version.

Yes stock brakes with neuspeed stainless steel lines, DS2500 pads and Motul RBF600 fluid. I was surprised, they held up pretty well the whole day! The first session I didn't do much of a cool down lap and they were smoking when I came to a stop. Being sure to do a cool down lap in the next few sessions seemed to solve that issue. No noticeable deposits or brake vibration yet as well which is a pleasant surprise.

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Nice, I was at LS with Speed SF on the 18th, it was very crowded though. Should’ve asked to move up a group tbh, I spent most of the day in traffic.

Interesting you are still getting that much outside tire wear with 2.6 camber. Although when I had the same continental tires I recall having the same issue, I think only had about 1 degree camber at the time though.

Some 245s/255s with a 9” wheel will make a big difference. I’m running 255 on a 9” wheel right now and am getting nice even wear with 2.5F/2.0R camber. Much more lateral grip too.
Yeah I was a bit surprised about the wear. I actually had some inner edge wear as well so my alignment may have been worse that I thought. I aligned myself using tow plates and a camber guage since I ran out of time preparing the car. I also ran high pressures to compensate, but we will see what happens with some better/wider tires. I might have been overdriving the car in a couple instances as well. Overcooked a few corner entries getting used to how the gti handles.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Track name: Pitt Race Full Course
Track location: Wampum, PA (45 min north of Pittsburgh)
Lap time: 2:07.91
Year/model: '16 GTI
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3300
Estimated wheel horsepower: IDK, 300ish
Fuel: 93
Tire size and model: Hankook Ventus Nobel S1 225/40/18
Estimated ambient temperature: 55F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): Koni yellow, stock R springs, Superpro FCA, 034 camber plates, Hotchkis RSB, Brembo BBK front w/ Pagid yellows, RS3 ducts, stock rear calipers rear w/ GLoc R8, RBF600, WaveTrac, IS20, APR DP, EQT stg 2.

My first track day in this car (I have about 50 sessions under my belt in my previous 2015 GTI). New to me is about 100 extra hp, the WaveTrac, and the Superpro FCAs (the previous car was a PP with EQT stg 1). My fastest lap yesterday vs the previous car was about 1.2 seconds quicker. The Ventus tires got greasy quickly, but they were still predictable the entire time, and it made for fun, slide-y laps! I have R-S4s in the garage awaiting Apex wheels.

This was my first time using Harry's Lap Timer and I have no idea how to get videos off my iOS device. Once I have time to play with that, I will upload a video.

Last edited:

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
Track name: thompson speedway road course
Track location: CT but just barely
Lap time: 1:26.2
Year/model: '17 GTI
Estimated wheel horsepower: 230? Stock
Tire size and model: 225 Dunlop Z3s. Getting one more day out of these might be asking too much
Estimated ambient temperature: 60F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): Stock everything. DS2500 front pads and RS3 ducts

Never been to Thompson until today. Running intermediate with SCDA. Morning started out alright. A vintage camaro lubricated the track with oil, and power steering fluid, and coolant. the Speedy Dry crew got out quick but not before a WRX suffered a flesh wound in the T1 complex. A lap before I brutally missed the apex into T1 and was wondering why--that was why. In the morning I was slow and wasn't really sure why -- still spending most of the session working through traffic because it seems like others were having a similar situation. In the afternoon sessions I mostly figured out where I was slow but nevertheless was still quite slow -- picked up a good chunk of time as I started to work on some key sections. My last session out pretty much all my laps were S/T where splits show massive easy time in sector one mostly, but lets be real, also everywhere.

I am so-so on love/hate track. I like the short lap and I like everything after the oval and the double-apex-maybe-not-a-double-apex under the bridge but am undecided on the rest of the corners. I really enjoyed the ample passing zones and spending quite a lot of my day passing cars in interesting but not sketchy places.

Here is a video. You can still see the residue of the oil cleanup in T1. Anyway, feel free to roast me.

Last edited:

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Track name: thompson speedway road course
Track location: CT but just barely
Lap time: 1:26.2
Year/model: '17 GTI
Estimated wheel horsepower: 230? Stock
Tire size and model: 225 Dunlop Z3s. Getting one more day out of these might be asking too much
Estimated ambient temperature: 60F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): Stock everything. DS2500 front pads and RS3 ducts

Never been to Thompson until today. Running intermediate with SCDA. Morning started out alright. A vintage camaro lubricated the track with oil, and power steering fluid, and coolant. the Speedy Dry crew got out quick but not before a WRX suffered a flesh wound in the T1 complex. A lap before I brutally missed the apex into T1 and was wondering why--that was why. In the morning I was slow and wasn't really sure why -- still spending most of the session working through traffic because it seems like others were having a similar situation. In the afternoon sessions I mostly figured out where I was slow but nevertheless was still quite slow -- picked up a good chunk of time as I started to work on some key sections. My last session out pretty much all my laps were S/T where splits show massive easy time in sector one mostly, but lets be real, also everywhere.

I am so-so on love/hate track. I like the short lap and I like everything after the oval and the double-apex-maybe-not-a-double-apex under the bridge but am undecided on the rest of the corners. I really enjoyed the ample passing zones and spending quite a lot of my day passing cars in interesting but not sketchy places.

Here is a video. You can still see the residue of the oil cleanup in T1. Anyway, feel free to roast me.

I haven't been to Thompson in a while, and was driving a Miata, so take my advice with a large helping of salt.

My suggestions:
* Track all the way out on T3, you should have space to cross back over to line up for the hairpin
* Enter farther left on T7
* Turn in later and enter farther right on T8, but that line is spooky

PS nice camera mount, can I order one?

Attachments

• thompson.jpg
    thompson.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
I haven't been to Thompson in a while, and was driving a Miata, so take my advice with a large helping of salt.

My suggestions:
* Track all the way out on T3, you should have space to cross back over to line up for the hairpin
* Enter farther left on T7
* Turn in later and enter farther right on T8, but that line is spooky

PS nice camera mount, can I order one?
* T3. The car is over slowed here
* T7. Maybe. I don't know
* T8. 100%

Your camera mount is in the mail

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Hugely fun open track day at Lime Rock with BMWCCA

5/1/21
Track name: Lime Rock
Track location: Lime Rock, CT
Lap time: 1:04.54 (a very few ticks faster than prior PB)
Year/model: 2017
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3550
Estimated wheel horsepower: 325
Tire size and model: 225/40/18 Cup 2 Connects
Estimated ambient temperature: mid-high 50's
Notes on setup: APR Stage 1, camber plates, IC, rear sway, APR Ground Control springs, Ferodo DS2500 & Motul 660, stock brakes, & struts.

Note: Cup 2 Connects although having a higher wear rating (240) performed equal or better than Cup 2's.

Video to follow in a couple of days.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Happy to see some more submissions! Keep it coming!

Had a fairly solid day at Sonoma raceway today. Set a PR by about .75s, but really felt like I could've taken off more. It was quite hot today and the car felt a bit down on power, and each session I would half to backoff about halfway through to let the car cool a bit. Enjoy this video with ALL the sick graphics.

Track name: Sonoma Raceway
Track location: Sears Point, CA
Lap time: 1:58.76
Year/model: 2017 GTI S
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3200
Estimated wheel horsepower: 250
Fuel: 91
Tire size and model: 255/35/18 Nexen N FERA SUR4G (200tw)
Estimated ambient temperature: 85F
Notes on setup: JB4 Map 1, EQT Coilovers 8k/5k, 2.5f/2.0r camber, Macan BBK w/ Ferodo DS2500, RS3 ducts and RBF660.

spaparizos

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport

Had a fairly solid day at Sonoma raceway today. Set a PR by about .75s, but really felt like I could've taken off more. It was quite hot today and the car felt a bit down on power, and each session I would half to backoff about halfway through to let the car cool a bit. Enjoy this video with ALL the sick graphics.

Looks like a lot of fun and a good setup for Sonoma! Nice smooth driving.

Possible suggestions to try out.
- turn 10, possibly enter with higher speed and let the car scrub some with turning. Really hard to do mentally with the walls on the left. When you nail 10 it feels like a large controlled slide curb to curb.
- turn 1, if you let the car go out a bit more towards the curb you can probably carry more speed and leverage the uphill compression afterwards. See if that saves time.
- turn 3 maybe a later turn in and later apex could flow better and let you get on throttle faster
- turn 6, looks great entry and great acceleration , wondering if you could carry more speed during the turn. Looks like you are dropping to low 60s when probably your car can hold high 60s.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Looks like a lot of fun and a good setup for Sonoma! Nice smooth driving.

Possible suggestions to try out.
- turn 10, possibly enter with higher speed and let the car scrub some with turning. Really hard to do mentally with the walls on the left. When you nail 10 it feels like a large controlled slide curb to curb.
- turn 1, if you let the car go out a bit more towards the curb you can probably carry more speed and leverage the uphill compression afterwards. See if that saves time.
- turn 3 maybe a later turn in and later apex could flow better and let you get on throttle faster
- turn 6, looks great entry and great acceleration , wondering if you could carry more speed during the turn. Looks like you are dropping to low 60s when probably your car can hold high 60s.
Appreciate the feedback. Sonoma is definitely the track I feel I could improve the most at. I should be running 1:56/1:57s. Will give those tips a try next time I’m out there.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

Track name: Sonoma Raceway
Track location: Sears Point, CA
Lap time: 1:58.76
Year/model: 2017 GTI S
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3200
Estimated wheel horsepower: 250
Fuel: 91
Tire size and model: 255/35/18 Nexen N FERA SUR4G (200tw)
Estimated ambient temperature: 85F
Notes on setup: JB4 Map 1, EQT Coilovers 8k/5k, 2.5f/2.0r camber, Macan BBK w/ Ferodo DS2500, RS3 ducts and RBF660.
LOTTA concrete barriers at Sonoma... IDK why I've never noticed that before.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
LOTTA concrete barriers at Sonoma... IDK why I've never noticed that before.
Yea, Sonoma eats cars, every time I’ve gone there there are 1 or 2 wrecks. A brand new C8 (still with temp plates) hit the wall at T8 in the morning, entire passenger side of the car was wrecked. Try to remind myself if it not the place the really push the limits.