GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Make sure to exhaust him to muffle his screams.

1620131768628.png

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
People in CA should get a group buy going to fly this guy out here to build exhausts for us...

I mean FedEx makes the world a smaller place haha, I even have customers in Hawaii.

As for one off stuff there’s amazing fabricators all over the world, but as a group MQB guys benefit from my production parts being available as a diy bolt on.

The big hang-up is AWD MQB guys. I can’t express my disappointment enough in them...they for the most part all complain about not having a good drone free TBE option yet nobody’s been willing/able to schedule a car in for development. For instance the Humble Mechanic, his R spends most of its time parked and he’s regularly down in Charlotte to hang out with Paul (DAP, is about an hour from me). Not singling him out, but that’s just a prime example of a Mk7.5 R that sits more often than not that isn’t thousands of miles away.

I just don’t get why a group of thousands of people complain, but nobody does anything about it. Anyway, the Mk8R will most likely have support because my best friend is planning to buy one.
It's his side gig so that would be difficult.
Yeah people forget that pretty regularly, I make time to build parts in addition to 40 hour work weeks plus a family (young kids).

unless his main gig puts him on a test flight out there after engine maintenance

I actually took a test flight on a 737MAX about a month ago. Unfortunately, we stay pretty local for ops like that.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm 25" ftg with the APR springs, so that makes sense. You're at about stock GTI height in front. You can see I'm all up in the bumpstops here.

View attachment 212404

Here's a static picture.

View attachment 212405

FB_IMG_1534292340540.jpg

In this pic of my 18 S set up for GS, you can see it's also on the front bump stop and well into positive camber. It makes me think there's merit to the understeer being more about how quickly you get into the bump stops after turn in, because theortically, with more negative camber, both static and dynamically, and toe out in the rear, my lowered car should be much looser, but it isn't. It's understeer city.

Last edited:

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Finally got around to installing my Stoptech Street kit which I got on clearance exactly a year ago. Unfortunately one of the rivets on the retaining clips broke off so I tried to hammer it back on. Also one of the pads had a brake wear sensor which I cut off because my car doesn’t use them for some reason.

Attachments

• BE011124-34C0-4F74-AA36-C4167057081C.jpeg
    BE011124-34C0-4F74-AA36-C4167057081C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
  • CABC5C6C-8F60-461B-9C08-19EAC642D3BB.jpeg
    CABC5C6C-8F60-461B-9C08-19EAC642D3BB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
  • BB667E1E-1E79-4507-9CFD-FB7FAED0D890.jpeg
    BB667E1E-1E79-4507-9CFD-FB7FAED0D890.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 86
  • AA278705-BAC5-4F9A-8C8C-81ABDD004E4E.jpeg
    AA278705-BAC5-4F9A-8C8C-81ABDD004E4E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 88

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
View attachment 212468
In this pic of my 18 S set up for GS, you can see it's also on the front bump stop and well into positive camber. It makes me think there's merit to the understeer being more about how quickly you get into the bumbstops after turn in, because theortically, with mover negative camber, both static and dynamically, and toe out in the rear, my lowered car should be much looser, but it isn't. It's understeer city.
Probably because #1 driver, #2 lack of surface grip #3 how much rear toe-out?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Finally got around to installing my Stoptech Street kit which I got on clearance exactly a year ago. Unfortunately one of the rivets on the retaining clips broke off so I tried to hammer it back on. Also one of the pads had a brake wear sensor which I cut off because my car doesn’t use them for some reason.
My hawk pads had a few of those break off on mine also and tried to get to stay on... it’s will probably pop off from use.

I had to swap my pads out only after a month cause the noise of the pads rattling over bumps and lane markers drove me nuts, sounds like the cars got loose front ball joints

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Probably because #1 driver, #2 lack of surface grip #3 how much rear toe-out?
I run on the same old worn out asphalt 90% of the time. The GS setup was loose, STH has been tight, whether we've been at our primary sight, the worn out asphalt, the Daytona cart track, or FIRM.

Last event I ran -.15 toe per side in the rear with 255 40 17's and still had to have a large split to the rear. I'm going to in crease that to -.30 toe per side for the next event.

When I moved from GS to STH, I kept the aligment I was using in GS, added -2.2/-2.3 front camber and the car got an inch lower with a claimed 15 to 20% stiffer APR spring.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I run on the same old worn out asphalt 90% of the time. The GS setup was loose, STH has been tight, whether we've been at our primary sight, the worn out asphalt, the Daytona cart track, or FIRM.

Last event I ran -.15 toe per side in the rear with 255 40 17's and still had to have a large split to the rear. I'm going to in crease that to -.30 toe per side for the next event.

When I moved from GS to STH, I kept the aligment I was using in GS, added -2.2/-2.3 front camber and the car got an inch lower with a claimed 15 to 20% stiffer APR spring.
Make sure you are getting toe-out. My alignment shop machine reads positive when toe-out.

The APR springs are not helping you either. For STH you don't have enough roll resistance so you are killing your front camber, but I think you know this.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Make sure you are getting toe-out. My alignment shop machine reads positive when toe-out.

The APR springs are not helping you either. For STH you don't have enough roll resistance so you are killing your front camber, but I think you know this.

I already went through that mess. They were toeing my car in at the front and the rear, progressively , making the car worse and worse for 6 months before the light bulb went off in my head. I broke out strings and f me. Lol.

Now I verify the toe with strings.

But my initial setup was zero toe, so hard to screw that up. Car was tighter.

Thinking about buying my own toe plates.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Got the BFI Stage 1 mounts+ Powerflex hybrid installed. Holy cow... the old transmission mount was CLAPPED as I assumed. The thing moves like a sea-saw with minimal effort.

How is the vibration?

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
How is the vibration?
I can feel the vibration with my feet on the floorboard, it is noticeably louder. However the noise is... different, I would say the majority of it is moved to or isolated in the engine bay now. It's almost as if the mounts are actually "holding" the engine noise. We'll see how it is after breakin.

All of my transmission slop is gone now, third gear is actually in the same place under WOT which is exactly what I wanted. The transmission doesnt slam forward in first on slow/creeping takeoffs, causing the car to start bucking. Everything with the gearbox just feels crisp and better than what it was. This stuff was making me absolutely hate the car, so I am super happy with the change.