GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Immature kids and their BOVs

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I'm conflicted on stuff like this. Like, how do you punish someone for this, or what do you think is an appropriate punishment for an avoidable accident? Two kids racing (side note; who the hell races an Altima?), and they strike and kill a woman and child. Destroying the lives of her husband and her family. It's absolutely horrific as shit. But where does it go from there? Send an 18 year old away to jail, and destroy their life in return? Aren't there statistics about how frequently people turn to crime once they get out of jail, since it's hard to rebuild a life after that? Even "just" 6 years in jail when you're 18 - 20 will fuck your life up. Nothing will make the victim hole again, nothing will undo what was done. So should a teenagers life be destroyed just because they destroyed someone else's life? There was no ill will, no malicious intent. Just a horrible incident caused by a horrible mistake.

Just to be clear, I don't have an answer for that. I'm not advocating for the victim or the drivers, I'm just thinking outloud.
Force him into a life of slavery. He's indebted to that family and they get to own him now.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I'm conflicted on stuff like this. Like, how do you punish someone for this, or what do you think is an appropriate punishment for an avoidable accident? Two kids racing (side note; who the hell races an Altima?), and they strike and kill a woman and child. Destroying the lives of her husband and her family. It's absolutely horrific as shit. But where does it go from there? Send an 18 year old away to jail, and destroy their life in return? Aren't there statistics about how frequently people turn to crime once they get out of jail, since it's hard to rebuild a life after that? Even "just" 6 years in jail when you're 18 - 20 will fuck your life up. Nothing will make the victim hole again, nothing will undo what was done. So should a teenagers life be destroyed just because they destroyed someone else's life? There was no ill will, no malicious intent. Just a horrible incident caused by a horrible mistake.

Just to be clear, I don't have an answer for that. I'm not advocating for the victim or the drivers, I'm just thinking outloud.
Pretty sure he was convicted of 20+ years for 2 counts of manslaughter.

Very unfortunate and sad for all parties

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Having owned modded WRX's and STI's in the past, that's a rookie mistake on the Subaru's part. If you've got AWD, ALWAYS race from a dig and pray for rain. lol.
Same here....I loved inclement weather when I had mine.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Another rant, can people tone it down with the “deep” and “inspirational” captions on Instagram. People act like modifying their car is a divine mission from God against all odds. Dudes will add a front splitter and the caption will be like “They told me I couldn’t do it, that’d I’d never make it. They told me to quit. Now they tryna hide their jealousy”

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Pretty sure he was convicted of 20+ years for 2 counts of manslaughter.

Very unfortunate and sad for all parties

Yep, looks like he was sentenced to 24 years.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...r-jailed-24-years-killed-mother-daughter.html

I don't know if I agree with that (not that it matters one way or the other, really). That sentence just destroyed that dudes life. He's 21 now. He'll be 45 when he gets out. Won't have a family. Won't build a career. Will probably be stuck working minimum wage at whatever fast food joint is popular in 2045. And I know. He destroyed someone else's life even more. A husband had to bury a wife and daughter. Her family lost their daughter and granddaughter. It's tragic and horrific. I couldn't imagine going through that. But ruining his life won't bring either of them back, or undo what was done. It's the whole "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" thing.

But at the same time, he shouldn't be able to just wipe his hands clean and go "Welp, that sucks but it was an accident. Time to just move on." and face no consequences. I just don't know if ruining someone's life is good retribution for ending someone else's life.

"The victim's family wanted Herrin to face the maximum sentence, which would've been 30 years."

I'd like to think that if I was in that situation, and someone was racing and killed my wife and daughter, I wouldn't be that vindictive. But again, I can't imagine going through that.

some prison time but mostly community service (if they seem sorry) in addition to the normal stuff every year on the anniversary you have to go talk in front of a group of kids about what you did.

That's a good idea. I think a shit ton of annual community service, not just the "200 hours and your done" kind, would be a good start. That way he could start giving back. Maybe suspend his license for 5 - 10 years. And unless the dude is a psychopath, you can't discredit the punishment the guilt has done to his mental health.

Also:

"The Assistant State Attorney presented evidence of speeding in the Mustang in the days leading up to the crash, topping out at 162mph at one point."

I know this isn't only contained to teenagers or younger adults, and not all teenagers or younger adults are that irresponsible, but that's why I cringe anytime I see the question pop up "Should I get a GTI for my first car?"

No. No you shouldn't. While a GTI isn't a "fast" car, it is still a fast car. Nobody should have that as a first car when they're immature and learning to drive.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Another rant, can people tone it down with the “deep” and “inspirational” captions on Instagram. People act like modifying their car is a divine mission from God against all odds. Dudes will add a front splitter and the caption will be like “They told me I couldn’t do it, that’d I’d never make it. They told me to quit. Now they tryna hide their jealousy”

My next IG post going to have that caption just for you.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I get this all the time by these idiots with their BOVs. They will purposely speed up or rev their engine so that their BOV will go off when they get next to me. For an example, the other day I was getting gas and while standing at the pump filling up my car, this stupid douchebag in his B5 A4 with a fmic and BOV thought he was cool by speeding up once he saw me to have his BOV go off right next to me. I wish my car was done with it's break-in period and retuned because if it was, I would have pulled up next to him and tell him "Just because you have a BOV doesn't automatically make your car fast." Does this happen to anybody else?
You’re just hating. Grumpy old man. 😂

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
No. No you shouldn't. While a GTI isn't a "fast" car, it is still a fast car. Nobody should have that as a first car when they're immature and learning to drive.
All my stupid shit was done in a 200hp gti with a vr6. Nothin funner than racing rsx type-s's and civic si's at 120mph on 45mph streets in the middle of the city. I took that car up to 145mph a couple times even.

There was a kid in a white mk7 that crashed and died right near my house. There was a section of the street that always had the sprinklers in the medium going and then it would flow across the street. The kids brother was on facebook saying they were going to come after whoever was responsible for running the sprinklers. I have a hard time believing the sprinklers were really the cause. While the sprinklers didn't help he had to be going about 100+ in a 40/45. The brother wanted retribution though. https://www.fox4now.com/news/local-...regor-boulevard-in-fort-myers-early-wednesday Not sure he was even racing, or the other driver just kept going.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I appreciate naturally occurring pops and bangs. But that fake popcorn shit I dislike. Turns me into a grumpy old fuck. It’s tactless, sounds like shit and clearly artificial

Ok boomer.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I appreciate naturally occurring pops and bangs. But that fake popcorn shit I dislike. Turns me into a grumpy old fuck. It’s tactless, sounds like shit and clearly artificial

For what it's worth, I hate pops and bangs too.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
For what it's worth, I hate pops and bangs too.
I don’t understand the appeal tbh. There’s a manual mk6 in my neighborhood. On development he has some nice pops. It’s like a low volume rumbly popping. Dude’s catless. And it sounds outstanding. It does it for me. I’ve heard him at wot and on upshift there’s a nice clear loud pop. I dig it

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Maybe a bit is dark humor, but have any of you thought that maybe those street racers saved that poor husband from 18 years of child support and an angry ex wife. You always have to try to find the bright side of a bad situation.

And ffs, before you get offended, it's a joke. I've been happily married for 30 years.

Just saying, sometimes till death do us part has it's upsides.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Maybe a bit is dark humor, but have any of you thought that maybe those street racers saved that poor husband from 18 years of child support and an angry ex wife. You always have to try to find the bright side of a bad situation.

And ffs, before you get offended, it's a joke. I've been happily married for 30 years.

Just saying, sometimes till death do us part has it's upsides.
I meet a lot of older people with my job. The one piece of advice I hear from the old married guys is never get married. I've heard it so much too. As soon as their wife walks away they have to let it out, "don't get married". Some guys have it pretty rough. One of our customers had to buy his wife a $20k ring to calm her down after the white interior they ordered for their boat wasn't white enough. Oh, she also made him put her name first on the title and you have to address it as "their boat" or "her boat" because it's her boat too. Well, it's all his money.