GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Immature kids and their BOVs

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
I crap my pants every time someone in a wrx or an ST tries to 'play.' We have a few long highway stretches where I have no problem pulling with someone but when people do it in the tight city/town areas where I live I freak out because I hate knowing they're potentially endangering innocent people.

I still have a mild pop setup and I'm 50/50 on the DV spacer I installed (probably coming off soon). It's fun when you feel like having fun but I also don't want to piss people off. I got it because It makes me happy, not because I want to flex my little 2 liter to everyone in the county.

I don't understand the street-racing-between-stoplights mindset. It's so dangerous. A guy lost his life in an AMG GT a few months ago racing on a local road near me. Always choose safety over pettiness.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
you know you're old when you think kids are idiots.

CSB race story: me getting on hwy in my bright red Mustang, a blue WRX and a yellow S4 go flying by....right away Mrs Mud says "NO". I just drive normal speed about 5-10 miles later we see both are pulled over having a conversation with the State Trooper.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I don’t get a lot of tuner cars go at me with thier bov or pops n bangs really... it’s the chargers/camaro/stangs that I enjoy to play with.

Oh the FRS/brz’s will sometime make noise at me, but I rarely bother cause you’d have to have one insanely modified frs to even have a change with a hybrid Mqb.

My favorite thing to do in response to someone reving at me at a light is the air the car out 😂 it always changes the tune to them just wanting to shoot the shit or mention my fitment. Lol

Also what I’ve done before to the chargers is gap them real quick at one light then air out the car on the next light 😂😂 pure disrespect 😂😂
ya lol lots of noisy 86's with headers around here for sure. some of them actually sound pretty decent

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I crap my pants every time someone in a wrx or an ST tries to 'play.' We have a few long highway stretches where I have no problem pulling with someone but when people do it in the tight city/town areas where I live I freak out because I hate knowing they're potentially endangering innocent people.

I still have a mild pop setup and I'm 50/50 on the DV spacer I installed (probably coming off soon). It's fun when you feel like having fun but I also don't want to piss people off. I got it because It makes me happy, not because I want to flex my little 2 liter to everyone in the county.

I don't understand the street-racing-between-stoplights mindset. It's so dangerous. A guy lost his life in an AMG GT a few months ago racing on a local road near me. Always choose safety over pettiness.
I had a 370Z try to play on a crowded street, while I was returning with my wife from an AX event, numbers still on and the whole nine yards. I don't understand the mindset, what is there to prove on the street?

Conversely though I think @BadHombre760 raises a valid point -- I'll occasionally throw a (y) if I see a modified car, sometimes bump the gas a little to get their attention. There's a lot of room for (mis)interpretation, and unless a car is accelerating and then hard braking, I tend to take it as a nonverbal "Hey, you've got a cool car, I've got a cool car too, I appreciate that we share an interest".

I dunno. I've chilled out a lot since my younger years, and I think the general attitude in car culture is shifting to appreciating others' passion and interest, rather than trying to prove something.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Just had a guy on a crotch rocket die this weekend not 1/8 mile from my house. Eye witness walking along the street says (yep, this was residential) he was going north of 100 in a 35 zone down a hill when someone pulled out in front of him.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Man don’t get me started on this. The pops and bangs thing drives me nuts. Everyone just throws a DP and straight pipe on and thinks they’re car sounds sick AF. No, it sounds awful. I’m yet to hear any exhaust setup where I think our cars actually sound good tbh. I can appreciate a nice burble on overrun, especially on V8s, but the whole gunshot pops and bangs thing is dumb.

Also, the rotiforms+air suspension combo. That’s like 90% of “builds” I see on social media. Plus when people rip off the honeycomb on the front grill and have like bright red FMIC hoses sticking out. People call that “clean”. Bruh it’s not clean it looks like you hit a tree and are too broke to fix it. Not my taste at all.

Maybe I’m just a salty old man. Except I’m 25. So I guess just salty.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Man don’t get me started on this. The pops and bangs thing drives me nuts. Everyone just throws a DP and straight pipe on and thinks they’re car sounds sick AF. No, it sounds awful. I’m yet to hear any exhaust setup where I think our cars actually sound good tbh. I can appreciate a nice burble on overrun, especially on V8s, but the whole gunshot pops and bangs thing is dumb.

Also, the rotiforms+air suspension combo. That’s like 90% of “builds” I see on social media. Plus when people rip off the honeycomb on the front grill and have like bright red FMIC hoses sticking out. People call that “clean”. Bruh it’s not clean it looks like you hit a tree and are too broke to fix it. Not my taste at all.

Maybe I’m just a salty old man. Except I’m 25. So I guess just salty.
*passes Ensure to Will_

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
This thread just made me start rewatching Initial D on my lunch break. Thanks, grumpy sophisticated old guys.

When we were last in Japan, our friend took us to Gunma to experience some of those roads. Aside from being in his wife's k-car and some serious motion sickness, it was pretty awesome to be on those twisties. Would've loved to rent a Gixxer and gear, but it would've blown my budget.
And because trips to Japan often elicit superlatives, Best rest stops I've ever been to.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I dunno. I've chilled out a lot since my younger years
I've chilled out mostly just because when it comes to things like this I've begun to think of it like karma. You can only get away with it for so long until it comes back to bite you in the ass. I did enough stupid shit when I was younger that I feel like if I were to try and do it today a cop would just appear out of nowhere and get me.

I still mod my cars though, so people think I want to race. They drop gear and start going psh psh psh and I just smile and shake my head.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
Conversely though I think @BadHombre760 raises a valid point -- I'll occasionally throw a (y) if I see a modified car, sometimes bump the gas a little to get their attention. There's a lot of room for (mis)interpretation, and unless a car is accelerating and then hard braking, I tend to take it as a nonverbal "Hey, you've got a cool car, I've got a cool car too, I appreciate that we share an interest".
I still agree 100% with both of you on that point. I wave/flash at other modified setups in the area and the mutual respect feeling is awesome. What I was really meaning is when they go beyond having safe fun and try to turn a residential road into a racetrack. We can blip the gas at each other for a second at a light but I'm not racing you 100ft to the next one. It's when it goes beyond "hey I like your car" to "Look at how fast I can go" that I don't like.